i5 and i7 iMacs in Refurb store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SOT DOC, Mar 1, 2010.

1. SOT DOC macrumors newbie

I just saw that the apple refurb store has the 27" quadcores.

2. kolax macrumors G3

And will do doubt be plagued with yellow tint.

3. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Yep, because it makes total sense for Apple to FIX a machine, then put it out for sale again with the SAME issue. Come on man, use some logic.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Because it makes sense for Apple just to resell the damn thing since it's "within specs"..

Buy one and tell me if it has the yellow tint or not.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I frequent about 4 mac forums similar to this one -- saw this same thing about the refurbs being for sale.

first post from someone else: I got an i7 about 5-6 weeks ago . . . it is simply awesome. No problems at all. Perfect screen.

Its not all of them.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If it does have yellow tint then I don't really see the problem as you have an i5/i7 and can take it back to Apple for a replacement/fix. All you suffer is the minor inconvenience of having to visit an Apple store.

7. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

wahooo! I've been waiting so impatiently for the i5's to pop up in refurb store, I almost bought a new one this week. Glad I waited. Now to find one at the right time...

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I think that's a really irresponsible comment. Since when is a yellow tint "within specs"?

Apple has publicly acknowledge the yellow tint exists on some iMacs and stated they have addressed/are addressing it. Do you really think it would be in their interest to sell yellow-tinted iMacs as refurbs?

From personal experience, I can confirm not all new iMacs have a yellow tint problem nor are all refurb machines reissued yellow tint machines. Even if they were returned for a yellow tint, Apple will have replaced the tinted panel before reselling it as a refurb.

9. dqpassat macrumors regular

10. mac88 macrumors 6502

Those went fast. Hopefully no one has any problems.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Because that's what Apple said.. fair enough they are offering users an exchange and money back etc, but their stance is still that it is within spec. And there is users who have have yellow tint displays and aren't hugely bothered by it.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Before Apple acknowledged the yellow tint as an issue you might have gotten away with making that argument. Now that they have confirmed its existence and are officially repairing/replacing affected machines there is no way they call yellow-tinted machines "within specs".

Now, users with yellow-tinted machines that are not bothered by or are oblivious to it is an entirely different issue altogether.

13. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

They're back in! right now! grab em while you can

14. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

what was the price? did u see rest of the configuration ? hard drive ? video card? ram? thanks

15. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

refurb.me should help you out.

16. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

imac i7 27 for $1849 refurb ? thats a bad deal ..considering you can get $1899 for a brand new one with educational discount

17. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

speaking as one who can't get an educational discount, it's not a bad deal at all. And, even if you can get the ed. discount, why not save $50? Refurbs are solid machines with as-new warranties and presumably have a higher QC due to their being individually inspected/refurbed rather than just a random box off the assembly line. Then again, it doesn't come in a pretty box.

18. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Are you talking about the i5 for $1899 with educational discount?

19. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

It is, however, more likely to be a problem with a refurb unit because many people returned their computers with yellowing problems. I would be a little hesitant.

20. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

ohh yes i am sorry i was wring the differece is almost $220
    i7's are $2079 with educational discount

21. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Yes. The i7 is $2,079.00 on the US educational store.

22. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Apple does not resell faulty machines without repairing them first. As someone else mentioned above, the level of preparation and inspection that goes into the refurbs makes them as safe as new.

I bought my i7 new but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Apple refurbished machine.

They also come with a one year warranty like new machines and the option to extend to 3 full years with Applecare.

23. rwczen macrumors newbie

Going to find out

Well I just placed my order for the i5, this will be my first Mac :) (well technically second as I purchased a 21.5" from BestBuy 2 weeks ago but am returning because it was opened and used and they told me it wasn't) So hopefully there will be nothing wrong with the one I receive. I am also considering buying the Apple Care, I was planning to go buy a new machine from the Apple Store on Saturday but would not have gotten the Apple Care, but now that I have saved $300, maybe spending $200 to get an additional 2 years warranty isn't such a bad idea.. I still save $100. Oooh can't wait :apple: :D

24. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Refurbished in the key word here. That means a machine was returned, then it was FIXED and sent to be resold. There is nothing to argue here, refurb=fixed=no yellow tint since Apple has acknowledged the problem and ha since found a fix.

25. IBeenMacSince19 macrumors newbie

Refurb for Sale

There is a Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 for sale right now at apple.com for $1699.00. 11:37 pm EST Thursday March 11.