i7 17" Scrambled Safari Graphics at times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Craigy, May 30, 2010.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

I've got a 17" i7 plugged into an external display...

Safari has been pretty unstable on it. One thing that happens a lot is when opening a new safari tab the safari window has scrambled graphics for a few seconds, beach ball, and then reverts to normal..

Anyone else experience this?

I've turned off the graphics switching today to see if that makes much difference.

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I get that in my 2.53Ghz MBP. I don't think that it is i7 related, it is a safari bug.

3. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - Odd thing is that my 15" 2.4 was fine. Only happened when I moved to my new 17"...

Oh well - I was just worried it could be a sign of a dodgy graphics card / motherboard etc...

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Saying that I do have a dodge 9400m that is being replaced again. Could be but I wouldn't read into it too much yet.

Did you a unibody 2.4? How are you finding the change? I am going for an i7 17" in July (bonus season). I want to bigger screen, the i7 is just a super bonus.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I personally would contact apple and tell them. Sounds like a heat issue.

6. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems to run really cool tough...

7. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I have had this problem on my i5 but with no beach ball. My computer is running very cool, so I don't feel it is a heat issue. I also thought it might be the graphics switching, but I am not sure.

Edit: Also, this only happens to me when I am going to my top sites, and it doesn't happen all of the time.

8. elmarjazz macrumors member

This happened to me today; opened a new Safari tab and scrambled graphics of the Safari window (not the whole screen) for a split second then normal.

MBP 17" i7 and running cool. Never experienced this with my old MBP pre-unibody in 3 years.

9. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

My old work-issued MBP never had this problem either.

10. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i would call apple like the other guy said. just to be safe

11. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

My 27" i7 does not do this, so I'd call Apple.
    Also, there were a few graphics-related updates for this iMac. Apply all of those, if you haven't already.

12. altoburgo macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I have the same problem in my MBP 15" i5 2.4 Hi-Res Anti-glare screen. Happens quite a lot and for some time now. My OS is 100% up to date but was happening even before!

It's annoying me because usually I have to restart to get back to normal.

I use "ClickToFlash" but anyway I've just reinstalled Flash player to see if it's going to fix it. I'll let you know.

Happens a lot with the GMail, legendas.tv and Top Sites tabs.

There are two things I have always opened in my Mac: Safari and Chicken for VNC with a connection to a Windows XP. I don't know if it is related but is more information anyway.

Please let me know if someone have any idea about this, it's driving me crazy! I'm among other things a webdesigner and webdeveloper and I really like Safari but if keeps going like this I'll have to switch to Firefox (which I already use for SOME things because Safari is not supported, like Hattrick (for the extensions they have for Firefox) and banking for example).

Cheers,
    Bruno

13. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

never got an issue on my 17" i7, but if i recall the issues everyone was having is with graphics switching.

14. altoburgo macrumors newbie

any solutions for that?

15. altoburgo macrumors newbie

just now I was working with Safari (3 tabs open: gmail, google adsense reports and my website anchova.com.br), iTunes and Chicken of VNC. the adsense screen went crazy and the Top Sites as well. the weird thing is that I'm trying to take a screenshot and they are coming all black!!! everything was working fine till I plug in my iPhone 4 (the iTunes was opened already).

I've closed Chicken for VNC now and didn't help!

So, this is my adsense reports page right now:
    [​IMG]

This is my Top Sites page right now:
    [​IMG]

And here you can see what I have running:
    [​IMG]

I don't believe this can be a problem with switching graphics, because I didn't run anything which would need that!

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I have the same model & only experience the issue your having when I'm using Safari. Chrome, Firefox and Opera 11 beta all perform flawlessly.

17. altoburgo macrumors newbie

hi there.

I'll be using firefox only for now to see what happens. it's really sad because I like safari, but if apple don't care about it, what can WE do?

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

force the nvidia or intel grapghics card (preferably the nvdia) and see if the issue still occurs.

if that doesnt work then its probably a defect in safari.

19. altoburgo macrumors newbie

tks for the help Adam, but this is my first Mac and I can't accept that Apple doesn't say ANYTHING about this. I've found lots of people with the same problem in Apple's forum and no word from Apple.

I'm not a Apple's tester, they are not paying me to test they products, the opposite, I've payed A LOT for this machine and this is unacceptable.

"Macs are better because they work..." ********. They release update after update and don't fix the problem and don't even list the problem.

If it was to keep fixing stuff and using workarounds all the time I would by a better machine and run Ubuntu with the same money (and when I say better machine I say a REALLY more powerful machine, like more CPU, more GPU, more everything).

"We want to be sure we delivery to the customer the full experience" bla bla bla ******** and more ******** from Apple is all I hear and read.

And with the money I've payed on this piece of crap I'm stuck with it for at least the next 8 years.

sad but true.

tks anyway you all.

20. HereToLearnMore macrumors newbie

Same issue in my 15" i7

I bought a 15" MBP i7 in June and have had the same issues. The Top Sites issue happened a few weeks ago (has since gone away without updating Safari) and the Gmail issue happened yesterday (again resolved itself without any real action from me). Both issues persisted for about a half hour but eventually went away after restarting Safari a couple of times.

21. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

This is an issue between flash and OSX. I've been struggling with the exact same fault and have resolved it by running the flash uninstaller and then re-installing flash 10 release 45 and setting Safari to run in 32bit mode.
    If I install the latest official release flash, the sandbox 64 bit beta flash or the beta flash 10.2 they ALL cause extreme graphics corruption exactly as your showing, changing to the setup I have now causes NO graphics corruption at all.

You should also run disk permissions repair and reboot after this ever time you change the flash version.
    I believe the fault to be with OSX's updates and Apple more then Flash as flash is fine on Leopard systems!

22. altoburgo macrumors newbie

sorry guys but none of these is acceptable. closing safari a couple of times is annoying; reinstalling flash every time I have the issue is annoying.

apple should accept they have a problem and FIX IT.

23. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I wonder where the buffer for the IGP is stored. It seems like it is getting corrupted when switching over to the DGP. After a while the video buffer gets flushed and the checkerboard corruption goes away.

24. altoburgo macrumors newbie

anyway, I'm calm now. I'm using Firefox because this only happens with Safari.

25. wankey macrumors 6502a

Safari has always had some kind of graphics corruption issues localized only to Safari. With every update, the issues go away, only to return after a few days or weeks.

In that end, I've solved the problem by going to Chrome, where there are zero issues. I suggest you do the same by going to Chrome or Firefox.