i7 2012 mini vs i7 macbook pro 13.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by icecoldart, Oct 29, 2012.

1. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

So my question is how much improvement those 4 cores in mac mini would be over 2 core 2.9GHZ i7 in 13" macbook pro?

I'm going to use it for Photoshop/movies/music.

Photoshop can be resource hungry with larger files, that i usually work with ( add many layers to that )

I'm currently on a 2010 PC which is still quite capable ( included picture with specs ), but windows is killing me with eachd ay. And since macs in my country are way overpriced i can afford either a mini which i'd then upgrade with 256gb ssd and 16gb of RAM.

or a 13 inch high end macbook pro which would get a 16 gb ram and an ssd later. I'd go with the macbook for it's portability since i'm going to travel but a mini and an external monitor is not a huge problem either, but you know a laptop's a laptop. You have what you need in front of you without the need of cables plugged in to anything. Plus the display which makes working/enjoying your stuff on the go possible.

Attached Files:

2. Poki, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

The 2,3 GHz Mini is about 50 to 60% faster than the 2,9 GHz MacBook Pro, or even more when many cores are needed (VMs for example).

3. icecoldart thread starter macrumors member

icecoldart

I see, so this is a significant difference, and i will need the extra processing power. Thanks mate!

4. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Or a 15 inch MacBook Pro if portability is really that important.

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Both processors use hyperthreading, with duplicates the number of cores in your computer virtually. Both the processors in the mac mini and the macbook pro 13" use this. So, the mac mini will have 8 cores (4 physical + 4 virtual) and the macbook pro 13" will have 4 cores (2 physical + 2 virtual), so due to obvious reasons, the mac mini will be faster with your applications such as Photoshop. the mac mini is also more upgradable, so you can easily pop off the bottom case and upgrade the ram, and adding an SSD would be more viable, too.

However, since you already have a win7 desktop - then it would make more sense to get the 13" macbook pro - since the desktop would be your 'powerhouse' for all your heavy activity.

6. tablatom macrumors member

You could still travel with your mini using this USB powered monitor, that i am probably going to buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFDkMeUJDY

Gets high marks by every reviewer.

This means you can travel with a mini and have a quality light 14inch screen for a fraction of the price of a 15"macbook pro,
    but have the same 2.3 or 2.6ghz quad core power

7. blanka macrumors 68000

The Mini is easier to carry.

8. sean barry macrumors regular

As long as you are sitting next to an AC outlet:D

9. blanka macrumors 68000

Most people I know with a Macbook, carry them from desk 1 with docking screen, to desk 2 with docking screen. The mini does that with less back-ache. But if you are a commute worker, you need the MB.

10. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

2 mid mac minis 799 plus 799 =1600

1 lacie rugged thunderbolt/usb3 = 200

cost is 1800 this allows you to move the osx via the lacie. or any other booter you choose.

your home and your office would be fine what it does not allow is jobsite,
    but a mini ipad for 399 and you kind of have it all.

for about 2.2k.

lots of redundancy which is good for work.

now it seems to me that the future is 2 mac minis (or imacs) with a dock and a mini ipad how long for that to be offered.