Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iAd Placeholders Begin to Go Live in Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

iLounge notes that the first applications supporting Apple's forthcoming iAd mobile advertising platform are beginning to go live in the App Store, despite the fact that the service doesn't officially launch until July 1st. Consequently, the apps simply display either an empty banner or test messages indicating proper integration with the service.
Avantar, developer of mobile search applications such as OneTap Movies, Showtimes, Munch and Yellow Pages, has updated several of its applications integrating the new mobile advertising platform. Apple's iAd does not go live until July 1st, and at this time these apps appear to be showing either a test ad or an empty banner.
The report notes that the "What's new" section for the updated application initially included mention of iAd integration, but the references have since been removed.

Article Link: iAd Placeholders Begin to Go Live in Apps

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Cool, Apple worked on Ads but couldn't be bothered to fix their idiotic notification system or add custom alert sounds to SMS. Good job, Apple.

Comment

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Cool, saw this yesterday when trying to find what time Get Him to the Greek played.

Notification management is being worked on and coming, just not in this update.

Comment

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I'd rather have Apple's iAd rather than Google's random ads that drop you in the browser. I've seen specific ads that don't pull you out of your app but I'm still cautious about what I click. iAd seems pretty cool and I think it's better that it's integrated into apps rather than random ads that drop you in the browser and prompt you to click random stuff.

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Cool, Apple worked on Ads but couldn't be bothered to fix their idiotic notification system or add custom alert sounds to SMS. Good job, Apple.

haha awesome. So true.

Guess we can see it as Apple way of helping developers to keep writing low cost/free apps.

Comment

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Sounds ridiculous but I'm tempted to download one of these apps just to try out the iAds. Downloading an app to see the ads. :eek::eek:

I must be crazy but I'm gonna try it out now :D

Comment

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC

+1

Seriously. Apple needs to develop a more efficient way for notifications rather than random pop-ups. Whenever I turn off my device and then turn it back on a few hours later, all of the notifications come at once so that I can't read each one individually. As a result, I must go into each app and look at them seperately. It gets really annoying after a while.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Here comes another round of whining. Even though ads have been in apps from day one...

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
+1

Seriously. Apple needs to develop a more efficient way for notifications rather than random pop-ups. Whenever I turn off my device and then turn it back on a few hours later, all of the notifications come at once so that I can't read each one individually. As a result, I must go into each app and look at them seperately. It gets really annoying after a while.

In IOS4 each one pops up one at a time....

Comment

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
"The report notes that the "What's new" section for the updated application initially included mention of iAd integration, but the references have since been removed. "

Isn't that dishonest if the app company doesn't tell you that your updated app now includes ads?

Comment

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
HURRAY for HTML5 ads all over the place.. next up the web will be littered with native HTML5 ads all over the place... and its so easy to make the ads even your grandma can do it!

WoooHooo!!

</sarcasm> <-- new HTML5 tag

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
it's nice that you can easily block flash ads, but steve jobs says flash is evil. javascript is cool. of course if you block js to block the ads you won't see most of the internet.

nice of steve jobs to make sure we can't block advertising

Comment

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I'd rather have Apple's iAd rather than Google's random ads that drop you in the browser. I've seen specific ads that don't pull you out of your app but I'm still cautious about what I click. iAd seems pretty cool and I think it's better that it's integrated into apps rather than random ads that drop you in the browser and prompt you to click random stuff.

I totally agree. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the ad is iAd or something else, so I don't have to guess each time whether the ad is going to suck and drop me out of the app when I click on it. If it's impossible to tell when it's an iAd, I still won't ever click on any ad.

Comment

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I totally agree. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the ad is iAd or something else, so I don't have to guess each time whether the ad is going to suck and drop me out of the app when I click on it. If it's impossible to tell when it's an iAd, I still won't ever click on any ad.
Um, the little iAd curl in the bottom-right corner might be a clue...

Comment

NetScheduler

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Southwest PA
Not Me

Here comes another round of whining. This changes everything (again). Even though ads have been in apps from day one...

Not me. The ads are "just gorgeous" and so "elegantly" done!! I got so excited (like I'm sure all of you did) that I called my wife and kids to come see them. I may not be able to sleep tonight thinking about them. I hope they add even more of these "delicious" ads to all apps. Let's face it, if this drives the stock price up, this will be a good thing (By reading all of your posts, I know I'm like all of you here, I have 100,000 shares of AAPL that I bought for $7 a share).

Once again, we're all "skating to where the puck is going to be" while all "Windows Sufferers" deal with the BSOD, viruses, and "Crappy" and "Clunky" hardware everyday.

Thanks You for iAds Steve! I think I'm speaking for all of us when I say that we love you so much!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.