iAd Rollout Slowed by Apple's Control of Ad Creation Process

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few days ago, we noted that early advertisers and developers participating in Apple's iAd program have generally been pleased with the results so far, with advertisers finding high levels of user engagement and increased brand awareness and developers seeing solid financial returns.

The Wall Street Journal reports, however, that not everything is running so smoothly. In particular, Apple's "tight control" over the entire process, including creation of the actual ads, has slowed the launch of offerings from a number of the program's publicized launch partners.
    According to the report, the ad creation process is taking up to 8-10 weeks, with Apple spending up to two weeks longer than originally expected to build the actual ads, leading to the delays.
    In order to fill the void in the iAd program created by the delayed launches of the big-name advertisers, Apple has rolled out an "iAd for Developers" program that allows App Store developers to advertise their applications within other apps and provides users with the ability to download the advertised apps directly from the iAd without leaving the application that is running. Today's report claims that Apple is charging developers 25 cents every time a user taps on a banner ad for their application, a significant discount from the $2-per-tap rate charged to deep-pocketed advertisers for their more interactive ads.

While the iAd roll-out seems to have had mixed results so far with limited participation but strong results from those who have managed to make their ads available, Apple is no doubt still in the early stages of learning how to become a mobile advertising company. But with Citibank, Disney, and J.C. Penney beginning to roll out their initial ads for the program, we may soon begin to see more variety in ads and additional companies making entries into the program.

Article Link: iAd Rollout Slowed by Apple's Control of Ad Creation Process

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Good. I hope the process gets slower and slower. Keep these ads off my phone

3. Master Chief macrumors 6502a

"The iAd is designed in HTML5 technology, and Apple has yet to distribute a 'developer kit' to agencies so they can understand how it works."

Apple simply cannot release this product, because it is still being working on, on a per-ad basis; Some ads required the addition of new features and thus additional testing. It works, but only in the Apple labs...

@WiiDSmoker:" Then opt-out of interest-based ads from the iAd network.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

A shame really, having ads take you away from the App is really annoying, at least iAd keps you in them.

5. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Any "USERS" Feel this is a MAJOR MISTAKE from Apple.

There is no way on earth I want bloody adverts in my Games or other Apps.

I'd rather spend a few dollars and not have Adverts.

6. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

Come on.

Can we please stop with these type of comments?

If a developer isn't using iAds for their free application, they will be using AdMob. At least with iAds, the ads are less intrusive and don't thrust you away from your application.

Then don't download free apps that contain ads. You know - the same way you were before iAds. Just because Apple released iAds does not mean that every app will contain ads. It is up to the developer, the same way it always has been.

7. Digitalclips macrumors 65816

"iAd Rollout Slowed by Apple's Control of Ad Creation Process" Good! Not that is slowed per se, but that it is controlled to some extent. The need to maintain a high quality standard is essential.

8. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Complete BS? Apple is already providing an iAd SDK to every registered developer; has the entire set of everything you need to create your own iAds (exactly what the WSJ is saying advertisers don't have). Because of that, I'm calling BS on this entire WSJ article.

9. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Was just thinking earlier that I still haven't seen an iAd in any of my apps yet.

10. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

I'd rather Apple made them to the high standard set of those from WWDC than some company create some awful design.

11. OddyOh macrumors 6502

OddyOh

Yup...the agencies will have to accept a little delay for a better ad in the end. They won't like giving up control, I'd think it'll be worth it. Delays in advertising are nothing new anyway...

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I saw this coming from a mile away. Obviously none of these iAd purchasers have owned an iPhone before. When it comes to the iPhone, "progress" is as slow as molasses. It took 3 years to get c/p and MMS, tethering another year, the App Store approval process sometimes takes months, a month and a half later we're still waiting for a proximity sensor fix. This delay should not be surprising.

13. MotiB macrumors newbie

MotiB

Walled garden indeed. Looks like Apple wants full control even over the content of the ad itself.

I am willing to pay an extra $1 for an app and not to have any ads in my phone :)

14. emulator macrumors 6502a

emulator

Like Apple are the only one who can design.

15. JAT macrumors 603

Aww, poor advertising shills having difficulties in their job. Good.
    Bastards.

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Is HTML5 that drastically different from HTML4 that people wouldn't know how to create content? :confused:

17. Chalkperson macrumors member

iAd's certainly does not work for me, instead of clicking on the Ad, I pay the two bucks and buy the version of the App without the Ad's, and, I try to avoid Apps with iAd's because they are too distracting...

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've seen a few in some free apps which is where they belong. I refuse to open any of those ads though. If it meant paying for the apps and no ads, I would pay for every single app.

19. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Is this something that bothers you? Personally, I couldn't care less about the quality of the ad, they're just an irritating distraction to be ignored

20. econgeek macrumors 6502

Absolutely correct. The premise of the article is false.

If advertisers are letting Apple build the ads then its is because the advertisers are essentially hiring apple's expertise.

Apple provided WWDC sessions that went into building iAds and using the iAds SDK pretty extensively. Anyone with basic web skills can build them.

The correct bit of news is that demand for iAds and having apple build them for advertisers is exceeding Apples supply of engineers for the project.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That doesn't stop you getting the ads.

22. econgeek macrumors 6502

The only reason iAds exists in the first place is because most of you won't pay a fair price for a game and developers need some way to monetize their work.

So, I find the complaints about ads to be hilarious. There are plenty of paid games on there that you can buy.

You wouldn't be complaining if you were really willing to "Spend a few bucks to get a game without ads"--- because you'd have done that and never seen the ads.

Reality is you want a free game, and now that games are free with ads, you want the ads to go away too.

23. coldplaysucks. macrumors member

It's really interesting to see how Apple is handling this. I think that their interest in the content creation process is important because they've got a better idea of what the tech can do compared to an ad agency.

Obviously they're going to be charging a premium for their services too, I'm excited to hear more on the iAds front.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok... So the existance of some software is your "proof?"

That's not the problem. Apple is currently not even accepting ads unless they've created them. This is a policy issue, not a technical one.

Believe me, I'm involved in the process right now. We created all the assets (photos, audio files) but are currently waiting for Apple to code them all into a program. There is no other way for us to do this right now. We just have to wait for them.

25. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

I don't mind iAd's at all. It's better than the alternative!