iAd with limited data plan? How's that going to work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steffi, Jun 2, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

They better not be counting any advertising they send to me in the usage of my data plan. I simply wouldn't tolerate that and neither should anybody else.

2. cjthebest macrumors member

So True!

3. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I agree, but you know they will.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I smell a class-action lawsuit in the air.

Edit: Problem is, who do you sue? Can you hold AT&T responsible for the content of the website you visit?

5. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

iAd implies apps, not websites (Safari)....

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Who is this "they" you speak of? Are you suggesting that AT&T shouldn't charge you for content from Apple? Why wouldn't they?

7. bfh123 macrumors regular

So will Iad be bloatware if you're downloading an app on 3g?

Good thread.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Good god. We lived through a decade of dial-up AOL without this exact same thing becoming an issue then. Why does everyone act like this is brand new today?

You know what else I pay for?
    The paper that Newsweek prints ads on.
    The cable TV connection even when I'm watching ads.
    Road taxes even when I'm looking at billboards.

Do these all suck? Sure. But why are we getting all worked up over one more example of the same thing? You all act like you've never seen an ad before.

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I rip ad pages out of magazines when I page through them at the newsrack. I don't need to be bothered by them, even if I don't purchase said magazine.

I also turn off my car when I stop at a stop sign, and every time after moving up a car length in stopped traffic. I don't want any waste!

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While little ads do add up (sorry :eek:), it's the sites that play video ads that concern me. I currently tether using a 120 MB plan and yes, it's quite easy to use up the allowance. I don't use it regularly enough to justify paying more for a larger plan, but those large video ads are a killer (I'll often immediately close the window and go to another site, before it can buffer too much data).

11. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Do you use the one sheet method to, ah never mind. :)

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

True, but same point still applies.

And you're left with what? 1/3 of the magazine left?

BTW, that's really messed up because you end up screwing the owner of the magazine stand.

13. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

There is no way they would be able to separate data from ads from any other data. I smell trouble.

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yup, both sides! (wait, we're talking about on the can, right?)

Dude, joking ;) Just poking fun at how absurd it is to be worried by something as small as worrying about iAds wasting all my data

15. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

iPhone no longer has unlimited data. And upcoming iAd will use up more data!

Beware!

iAd is going to be data intense with all the streaming video, etc.

And in effect, some will be PAYING to watch the ads.

No longer will AT&T sell unlimited data plans on iPhone.
    Don't watch those iAds!!!! It will use up your precious limited data.

If enough people threaten that they will be less likely to click on iAds due to it using up our data allowance, maybe Apple will convince AT&T to eliminate the stupid data limits.

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Meh, if you watch a 30 second clip it surely can't be bigger then 3-5MB if it's optimized for the iPhone screen, can it?

17. rkswat macrumors regular

Sounds like a paranoid rant to me.
    Which data limits are you talking about, there is no data "limit". You're more than welcome to use as much as you want. IF you don't get grandfathered in like the majority of people here on MR, you will simply have to pay for the "extra" data you use.

It is cool however to post sensational threads such as this one to try and get people to join your pity party..... which I'm sure a ton will do. Bashing at&t for something that won't even effect the majority of iPhone users is becoming pretty popular as of late.... glad to see you didn't miss that boat.

18. fishmoose macrumors 68000

And if your own 3G and is worried about your data usage, don't watch the ad until you get home to wifi, not that big of a deal.

19. azsprty macrumors 6502

20. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I don't think you have to click on the iAds.

From the demo it looked like they only loaded if the user clicked on the Ad.

It's no different to a smaller image banner in terms of size. I don't think it is a great concern to be honest.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We're talking 2gb of data iAds is not going to push you over that. Heck if your worried put the phone on airplane mode while using an iAd containing app or don't ad based Alps. If your really worried move to another carrier

22. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Same here. I'm keeping my unlimited plan for as long as I can.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Just don't click on them and you have nothing to worry about.

24. angevil macrumors regular

It′s not like you HAVE to watch ads.

Btw, I have 512MB monthly plan, and I don′t make fuss about it. Americans seem to be much spoiled..even 2GB is not enough to them. :rolleyes:

25. JustLeft macrumors 6502

There is a point in what the OP is saying. The people on this board who already have plans will have no worries. Those signing up for new phones and plans may think twice about clicking on an iAd. If that does end up happening, it may reduce the number of clicks Apple gets on their Ads. If less people click on an iAd, Apple's revenue will be reduced.