Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

145537-iad_engaged_audience.jpg

We've received word that Apple has begun to deploy iAd availability on a worldwide basis, with developers reporting that they are beginning to see ad impressions rolling in from locations around the globe. Previously, developers had seen ad requests from those countries go unfilled as Apple limited the program to North America and the United Kingdom.

The change opens up additional revenue streams for developers and new audiences for advertisers as the company prepares to extend the iAd service to the iPad with the release of iOS 4.2 sometime this month. With Apple having released the golden master version of iOS 4.2 to developers earlier this week, a public release could occur at any time.

Article Link: iAds Begin to Go Worldwide as iPad Compatibility Comes in iOS 4.2

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Nice!

I've been experimenting with ads for "free" Apps. Good to see iAd gaining some traction. I'm really curious about the revenue developers are seeing for more niche Apps. (not BBC or New York Times, but smaller indie type apps.)

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wonder if iads look different on the iPad

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bigger :D But yah, I wouldn't be surprised if iAds could be "universal" as well so they would appear differently on iPads, and ads that are not might have the same "full screen" feature that apps designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch do.

Also: iThink iLove iAds. i:D

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I will not buy one product with advertising in it. I'd rather pay more for the app.

Am I wrong, but I thought only the free apps would have iAds in them. The paid for apps shouldn't have any ads? Or did you word your post wrong?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Am I wrong, but I thought only the free apps would have iAds in them. The paid for apps shouldn't have any ads? Or did you word your post wrong?

Well, you're both right. He wont buy any apps with iAds in them, because they don't exist.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I heard about iAds some many times and for a while now....but where is it? On what apps? I never saw it..if i need to pay attention to see it, it means it is not well set up...

IEngineerStuff

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Best news ever

Thank god!

I get 48k requests per week on iAds, but only 15k of them are USA.
That means I lose over 68% of potential ad impressions.

Checking today, I have indeed noticed fill rates in foreign countries.

Seriously the best news for me. Admob pays nothing compared to iAds.

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Thank god!

I get 48k requests per week on iAds, but only 15k of them are USA.
That means I lose over 68% of potential ad impressions.

Checking today, I have indeed noticed fill rates in foreign countries.

Seriously the best news for me. Admob pays nothing compared to iAds.

You should put links to your apps, or at least the names in your signature! :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Kinda funny.

Reminds me of a few people that post here.

"I turn flash off, Steve was right, I hate ads on screen, flash deserves to die"

Welcome to Apple iAds

:D

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Kinda funny.

Reminds me of a few people that post here.

"I turn flash off, Steve was right, I hate ads on screen, flash deserves to die"

Welcome to Apple iAds

:D

Many people still hate ads, and also iAds, that part hasn't changed. The thing that has changed is the quality of those ads. iAds ARE better quality (when they're not advertising an app in the app store) than most other ads out there.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010

Is this a correct statement?

I was under the impression that apps with both a free version and a paid version typically will have ads in the free version. But, I didn't think there was anything stopping a developer from actually having a paid app display iAds.

Of course, I'd be a little annoyed if a paid-for app had iAds, but there isn't anything to stop a developer, is there?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I can't believe ios 4 still isn't available on the ipad! that is ridiculous! it should have launched with ios 4. but whatever I guess I should just be glad that it is here now

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

They look Magical of course! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.