Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Internet News reports that IBM will be holding a special event dedicated to the POWER microprocessor architecture:

Taking a page from Apple's playbook, IBM sent out invitations that read that the event would be "a unique look at the microprocessor that is revolutionizing computing and emerging as a new platform for innovation around the globe."

According to an IBM spokesperson "there will be a slew of news announcement surrounding POWER architecture".

The POWER architecture is the basis for the PowerPC 970 that powers the PowerMac G5.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
ppc 980

Hopefully they may hint at some ppc 980 procesors soon. 980 being thee successor to ppc 970 if my math is correct :)

Comment

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Knowing something about IBM, I would suggest they will give a fairly clear roadmap, specifying what they plan to achieve with the 970 and the 980. Given the "slew of announcements" expected, the roadmap will most likely cover a wide variety of uses for the Power chips, not just Apple.

And IBM would not announce a major event to announce a disappointment, so I'd say this is potentially very good news. I'll be interested to see how IBM presents it--the event could mark a "shot across the bow" to Intel, HP, and AMD.

Best,

Bob

Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Wonder Boy said:
nice. even if things are updated, im still going to wait for 3ghz during the summer, but any updates would be awesome.

MY 400th POST!

Well - you need 500 :eek:

Ok, I can't see how this news has any importance !? I read through the article and Apple isn't even mentioned or am I blind ?

We will see what is actually announced.

Comment

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
PPC975????

It actually might be the reason of the delayed PMG5 revision, if IBM is announcing the PPC975, based on Power5, according to some rumors, Apple have already received them for test few weeks ago, and the main yield was running at 2.8GHz!!! with some toping at 3.4GHz!!!
so let see,
if Apple does not announce anything new after IBM special event, then Apple has a serious problem, and we should not expect any revision soon

Comment

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Does anyone think this will be a venue to reveal the updated G5s, or is the 23rd still the expected date? Or will Apple wait until after this event, ie: April?

Regardless, this is something to pay attention to because as IBM reveals a roadmap, it indirectly reveals Apple's.

Boy if that isnt stating the obvious! :rolleyes:

Comment

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
CmdrLaForge said:
Well - you need 500 :eek:

Ok, I can't see how this news has any importance !? I read through the article and Apple isn't even mentioned or am I blind ?

i know, i meant that im on my way

Comment

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
PPC975, not PPC980

DrGruv1 said:
Hence The Heat Issues????

Here's to hoping..

if any new processor it will be the PPC975, then will come the PPC976 based on Power5 too, but the dual core version, and then only the PPC980 which should be based on Power6

Comment

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
It looks like it will be a presentation over actual POWER processors (Power4, Power5, etc.), not the PowerPC which the Mac runs on. This is more interesting considering the long-term prospects of IBM chips than the immediate prospects for Apple.

Comment

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Well I'm thinking there is some sort of tye in here between the two companies. The big question is wether or not there is a replacement in the wings for the 970 which is sorely needed. I could see the PMG5 being delayed for this but that really doesn't explain the XServe delays.

If new technology is being deliverd for the PowerMacs then obviously Apple will be waiting for this show. The release from Apple could be with the show or a bit after when the machines are ready.

What is interesting is that this could be an indication of a much faster PowerMac rev than expected by some. Not only could the next rev be in the 3GHz range, there is a potential for a processor that is much faster at that speed.

That is one possibility but a portable optimized processor could be coming or a SOC for the low cost / portable market.

Considering the tone of the announcement it could be all of the above. It is very possible that new portables, low cost desktops and upgraded PMG5's will be hitting the streets very soon.

Dave

agreenster said:
Does anyone think this will be a venue to reveal the updated G5s, or is the 23rd still the expected date? Or will Apple wait until after this event, ie: April?

Regardless, this is something to pay attention to because as IBM reveals a roadmap, it indirectly reveals Apple's.

Boy if that isnt stating the obvious! :rolleyes:

Comment

bar italia

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
eric67 said:
if any new processor it will be the PPC975, then will come the PPC976 based on Power5 too, but the dual core version, and then only the PPC980 which should be based on Power6

Exactly

Comment

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i guess this presentation is more about their POWER5 cpus and roadmap for power 6
hm i doubt they will release any news about the next PowerPC

Comment

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
takao said:
i guess this presentation is more about their POWER5 cpus and roadmap for power 6
hm i doubt they will release any news about the next PowerPC

yeah, i really don't see IBM coming out and saying: "this is what we're going to be doing for apple"... they'll talk oodles about the power5 and 6, and then we'll be arguing for the next 5 months what parts of the power5/6/7/8/1000 will be making it's way to the 975, 980, 990, 99183.143, etc...

but it's kinda fun to watch people get so uppety about it ;)

matt

Comment

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
CmdrLaForge said:

well, considering that macrumors sites that IBM is the current maker of our G5 I think it has importance. Just because they didn't mention apple specifically in the article doesn't mean that we won't get any info. I suppose you're right in one regaurd. We'll have to wait and see what is actualy announced.

Comment

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FWIW, Apple's having a technical invitation-only (well, they told a lot of people about it, and are now deciding who they'll let in...) talk in Cambridge, MA on April 20 regarding the PowerPC and PowerMac systems, what they are, how to optimize for them, etc. Since it's after IBM's talk, I can only assume they'll incorporate elements of that talk. Also, I'm assuming that any announcement of near-term G5 products will occur before then so as to be included in the discussion.

Comment

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I have a feeling that IBM will take the opportunity to release news of advancements being delivered faster than the road map - they love firing a rocket up Intel's . . .

WHile I don't think it will impact the "soon to be announced" PMs it might have an impact on summer releases. More likely it will impact releases after the first of the year. The problem is that Mac lovers may now look at the 3 gig in summer as just a stepping stone for an announcement 6 months later . . . :D

Comment

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
yes but

kenaustus said:
I have a feeling that IBM will take the opportunity to release news of advancements being delivered faster than the road map - they love firing a rocket up Intel's . . .

WHile I don't think it will impact the "soon to be announced" PMs it might have an impact on summer releases. More likely it will impact releases after the first of the year. The problem is that Mac lovers may now look at the 3 gig in summer as just a stepping stone for an announcement 6 months later . . . :D

yes but with IBM as partner, Apple and mac users will now have to adapt to the 6 month time frame for processor revision with sigificative performance improvement.
I think we all have been too much affected by Moto inefficiency regarding processor development for the PM

Comment

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
3ghz Macs

Wonder Boy said:
nice. even if things are updated, im still going to wait for 3ghz during the summer, but any updates would be awesome.

MY 400th POST!

You know,

With G5 sales not meeting expectations, it now seems like a pretty dumb move on the part of Steve Jobs to say "They'll be at 3ghz in a year."

It seems like so many individuals are putting off buying a G5 until the next mythical speed bump. I would be very interested to know how many of these people actually will eventually buy a G5 and how many of them are posers who can't afford or justify buying a G5 and are making excuses.

Sorry, that's kind of a rant. I really do enjoy MY NEW G5! It's tons faster than my B&W and it is so cool just to look at. At 1.8ghz it does everything I need, including video editing.

"Thanks for noticing me" (Eyore)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.