Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
ok im getting way ahead of myself here, but where do we go next? now that we are using Ge we have run out of metaloids in the carbon family.

btw we have been using Ge in semiconductos for awhile now and it hasnt found its way into desktops yet.

motive8

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2002
Portland, Oregon
New Antacid Hyperconductor Announced

Squibb Labs has just introduced a new hyperconductive "antacid chip" that essentially clears up render wait states and upset stomach.
Chairman at the company, in conjunction with heavy input from Johnson and Johnson said that the chip comes in fruit and chalk flavors and should be taken with meals for maximum throughput. Katie Couric is slated for spokesperson, according to the company.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
germanium

I used to work at a TV station that had an old RCA video tape machine that dated back to the mid 1960's. I always heard the engineers make remarks about the germanium transitors that were used, that they were unreliable. Here we are 40 years later, and everything old is new again.

If you want to see a picture of the RCA VTR, it's here...
http://www.lionlmb.org/quad/tr70b_1.jpg

StuPid QPid

macrumors member
Quantum Computing....

Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
ok im getting way ahead of myself here, but where do we go next? now that we are using Ge we have run out of metaloids in the carbon family.

btw we have been using Ge in semiconductos for awhile now and it hasnt found its way into desktops yet.

If you want to know where computing is heading then read this article from the Scientific American...

http://www.sciam.com/1998/0698issue/0698gershenfeld.html

Looks like transistors will eventually go out of fashion...may be...

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Re: 110 gigahertz

Originally posted by Mike Gagne
who needs it? and for what? web browsing? Photoshop?......oh wait.....faster email..... yeah, thats it!:D

Mike, you obviously do not do any multimedia creation on a Mac, and you certainly have never tried to do any video compression. On my G4 400, It can take HOURS to compress a 6 minute video using Cleaner. Multimedia producers wil NEVER have enough power to satisfy them. Even if some of this chip technology is possible in the PowerPC chips, it could take the speeds into areas we only dream about, but even then I will still have to wait on my Mac to finish rendering my Final Cut Pro project. So just for the record, most of the people who use their macs for anything creative or multimedia centric will gobble up every bit of power they can get and still leave the table hungry.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Yo Freaks, umm this is like a hoax thread incase you havent noticed. Look up germanium and youll see what i mean. ( no not only the fact tht its a flower)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by Kela
Yo Freaks, umm this is like a hoax thread incase you havent noticed. Look up germanium and youll see what i mean. ( no not only the fact tht its a flower)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lol - plonker - the flower is gerAnium, whilst the element is greManium (element number 32 - discovered in 1886 by Clemens Winkler (a forefather of the Fonz no doubt) - and named after his place of birth, Germany).

it is however a bit of a fake thread though - i mean, this is a logic gate not a processor. Physics demands that 'traditional' processors wont/cant run at these speeds.....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
how many fans

xan u imagine how many fans that thing would need too keep cool

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
IDIOTS!

This post was taken completely out of context. This is communication technology that has almost no immediate relevance to PC semiconductors. Every other cut and paste site I read at elast mentioned this fact.

IBM previous best was 80ghz. Do you see any 80ghz PC chips?

A little context next time. You don't want all the dumb sheep who read your site for valuable hardware rumours to freak do you?

How much harder is it to cut and paste all the relevant information?

Stupid monkey.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Future of semi conductors..

I am guessing that semi conductors will really take off when they move to advanced composited carbon-synthesized diamond lattice chips. Something along the lines of what NUKE Scientific was working on...

StuPid QPid

macrumors member
Originally posted by Pants

lol - plonker - the flower is gerAnium, whilst the element is greManium (element number 32 - discovered in 1886 by Clemens Winkler (a forefather of the Fonz no doubt) - and named after his place of birth, Germany).

it is however a bit of a fake thread though - i mean, this is a logic gate not a processor. Physics demands that 'traditional' processors wont/cant run at these speeds.....

:eek: Oh double Pants on a stick...
Check your spelling when trying to correct others'...
I presume you meant 'germanium' not 'gremanium'.

Unless a gremlin has got into the works, or should that be a 'germlin'?

pglaskowsky

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2002
A few simple facts about silicon-germanium transistors

(Some of you may remember me as Dennis Sellers' primary analyst resource for his series of articles entitled "The Myth of Megahertz" at http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/09.megahertz.shtml )

IBM's recent announcement involves a simple "ring oscillator", a circuit consisting of just a few transistors that generate a clock signal. This original high-frequency signal is then divided down into a stable lower-frequency signal that can be used by other chips.

The base region of the transistors used in this circuit are made from a silicon-germanium (SiGe) alloy with a very low percentage of germanium. The germanium increases electron mobility in the silicon, allowing circuits to operate substantially more quickly.

The SiGe layer in the chip is first made from pure silicon, exactly as would be done for any other chip. Germanium atoms are then implanted into the layer. The electrical properties of this alloy depend on the exact proportion of germanium, and it is very, very difficult for IBM to get this proportion right for very many transistors on a chip.

As I wrote for our newsletter, Microprocessor Report, in May of 1996:

The new technique is not as useful for large digital components such as microprocessors, because it improves only bipolar transistors, not the FETs used in CMOS devices. SiGe transistors could be used to extend the life of BiCMOS design, which most vendors have turned away from due to the minimal gains for bipolar devices at geometries below 0.35 microns. IBM Microelectronics has no immediate plans to develop SiGe microprocessors, but the new technology could allow faster, less power hungry versions of current bipolar components.

IBM does another round of publicity for its SiGe process every three years or so. Every time, news services and end users leap to the conclusion that faster microprocessors are on the way. I don't know if this is what IBM wants people to think, but I wish they'd be more careful.

There are other silicon vendors, such as Motorola, using similar techniques to build high-speed transistors for communications devices, but they all have the same limitations. None of these methods can be used to create 100GHz microprocessors.

. png

Peter N. Glaskowsky
Senior Editor, Microprocessor Report
Columnist, Electronic Business magazine

rastalin94

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2002
The big deal with germanium is the simple fact that electrons travel faster in it than in Silicon. So you basically get a faster chip just by switching substrate. Of course it is more expensive and harder to work with, but that is why it is usually used in military applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.