IBM to Purchase Up to 200,000 Macs, With 50-75% of Employees Ultimately Switching From Lenovo

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A year after teaming up with Apple on an enterprise partnership to push iOS devices and apps for business users, IBM is moving forward with plans to rapidly move its own employees onto Apple's platforms, MacRumors has learned.

While IBM announced in an internal memo several months ago that it was planning to purchase up to 50,000 MacBooks for employees by the end of 2015, chief information officer Jeff Smith has revealed in a new internal video released to employees yesterday that he believes IBM could actually end up purchasing 150,000-200,000 Macs annually.

In the video, Smith relates a conversation he had with Apple's chief information officer Niall O'Connor about the possibility of a massive Mac deployment for IBM.
    In a separate clip from the video, Smith describes a recent conversation between Tim Cook and IBM vice president Fletcher Previn in which Previn indicated the initiative could see 50-75 percent of IBM employees eventually converting to Macs from the Lenovo ThinkPads that are currently the company standard.

Apple and IBM, former rivals in the PC market, have been working increasingly closely together on both specialized enterprise-focused iOS apps and more recently on HealthKit and ResearchKit data management tools. With so many IBM employees now in line to switch to Macs for their work machines, the stage is setting up for even more collaboration going forward.

Update: Given IBM's workforce of under 400,000 employees, it appears the "200,000" figure cited by Smith could be a total replacement cycle figure rather than an annual purchase amount. Still, based on a three or four year replacement cycle, IBM would easily become Apple's largest corporate customer.

Article Link: IBM to Purchase Up to 200,000 Macs, With 50-75% of Employees Ultimately Switching From Lenovo

2. gpat macrumors 6502a

I could easily see some old school PC fanboys going harakiri over this news.

3. tucotuti macrumors member

tucotuti

Or some old school Mac fanboys xD

4. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

this is crazy and awesome all in one. steve jobs must be smiling in heaven or laughing like an evil villain

5. kkar macrumors member

Lenovo ThinkPads are junk. The switch is a good move by IBM.

6. conkerbot macrumors member

I think IBM and Apple could be a great partnership - far more so than the cool stuff they've done already. I was thinking the other day what Siri would be capable of if Watson was integrated into it and could access even more data (HealthKit data for example). Apple has the customer-facing side locked down, and IBM can help with infrastructure and software needed to improve their cloud services and enterprise offering.

7. 0x100 macrumors regular

That's what happens lenovo when you change a concept that works to trying to copying apple.

8. pittaman macrumors newbie

Agreed. A win-win for both companies.

9. hayesk macrumors 65816

And I’ll feel very little sympathy for them. They've been doing it to Mac users for decades.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

If I was offered jobs at Company A that used Macs, and Company B that used Windows; the salary was the similar, similar benefits, the commute was the approximately same, the job description was approximately the same, the company size was approximately same, and the leadership style was approximately the same, I would choose Company A that used Macs.

Even if the difference seems silly, the computer I stare at for 8+ hrs/day is as important as the comfort of my shoes and the comfort of my mattress - the other things I use for 8+ hrs/day.

Plus, I bet the company culture and culture of employees would be better at Company A that used Macs.

11. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Whaaat??!

I understand...

Lenovos are ok, but Macs are better.

12. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

well said

13. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Wow, if this works out, IBM could beat the number of G5 Powerbooks they used to order from Apple by around 200,000 a year!

14. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Are they getting the reach around discount? I seriously doubt that IBM is willing to pony up the roughly $300 premium over a Windows laptop -- makes no sense.

15. nws0291, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

nws0291 macrumors 6502a

Lenovo quality has been horrible. We no longer purchase them at our company and we are a multi billion dollar pure software company. Mac laptops are by far the best since the serviceable life of them is better than anything else out there.

16. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Awesome! I wish more corporations did the same thing. ;)

17. enthusiastic macrumors regular

I think if any Windows laptops are worth buying, they are ThinkPads. I have two of them. One bought in 2008 and one in 2013. Both are rock solid.

18. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

are people still using desktop apps in 2015 at work, besides Office and maybe a few legacy apps? Many line of business apps have converted to web applications, and new apps are being built as web apps. Why? Because they run on anything.

Operating system wars are over in the Enterprise, for desktops. The web won.

19. jdillings macrumors 68000

I could see more businesses following IBM's lead especially since Lenovo has installed spyware/malware in the past.

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Just be cause they are MACs doesn't mean they will not be running windows.

21. popnfresh macrumors newbie

Big mistake. When they realize what a CPU-clogging clusterfrack OS X has become they'll go running back to Windows.

22. JPSaltzman macrumors regular

JPSaltzman

Does this mean the return of Snow Leopard and Rosetta? (I can always dream.)

23. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Its just a tool. The notebook has little to do with anything else esp culture!

24. D.T., Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I think this relationship will ultimately be very fruitful (pun slightly intended...). IBM services, backend platforms, expertise in the enterprise/big gov space with Apple providing an improved user facing experience and the client side platforms (iOS/OSX). This seems like a "Yeah, we're serious" sort of move :)