iBook G3 Clamshell Wifi Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by snarestud940, Jun 26, 2017.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

I have a tangerine iBook that I'm trying to get online with. It has OS X 10.3.9, and I'm trying very hard to not change my wifi to WEP at home. Is it possible to get a wireless USB adapter? Like a linksys or something that will work with this? I find this computer very very fun to type up notes on, but would like minor internet access via wireless.

Does anyone know of any, and that are easy to install? Thanks!

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

3. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

I recommend something like the TP-Link N300 configured as client. Plug it in the ethernet port, set it up to use your wifi and then never again think about it - it just works

4. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is way beyond my expertise. Can you elaborate? I currently have an AT&T U-verse router, is there anyway to make it compatible?

5. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

It's kind of [Router]<>[WLAN]<>[WLAN.To.Ethernet-Device]<>[Ethernet]<>[iBook] connection.

6. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, so this is via a wired connection, not wireless?

7. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

It is a small box (2.2 x 2.2 x 0.7 in; 7.2 ounces) that you connect with a short wire to your ibook. It serves as an external wifi receiver. It has a simple web interface which explains everything, no need for expertise ;)
    As it takes its power from an USB port you'll even be able to carray the iBook around

8. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! That sounds so simple, why haven't I heard about it? So it's basically like an external USB wireless thing anyway?

9. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Correct, but because it's connected via ethernet you don't have to worry about drivers

10. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok great, can I get a link? I tried searching it and all I find is something that plugs into the wall? That can't be right can it?

11. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

That's the exact device I'm talking about and it proved to be reliable, but every other similar device should do it too

EDIT: I just saw that I have an older version of this. My LE is blue and it provides only 150mbit/s not 300. Shouldn't change anything at all, but I can't say anything about the durability of the new one

12. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I thought this was the one actually. But I was not sure. However, it does say Wi-Fi router? Not a receiver? Does that mean it's also capable of receiving Wi-Fi signals as well? I don't want to change my home network at all.

13. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

On the web surface one can change the working mode. You may want to set it as repeater or client. As client it serves as only a receiver, as repeater it serves as receiver and boosts your wifi at the same time, although i found the latter to be unstable and sometimes not working. It boosted an empty signal :D the menubar showed full signal, the network helper program said 'everythings alright' but I had no internet.
    Use it as client and be happy :)
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-29 um 14.31.19.png

EDIT: forgot to mention: setting it up as a client is very easy, select your wifi, enter password, connect, restart and violà

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Confirmed - the Edimax is Tiger/Leopard only.

That said the speed is somewhat limited by the USB1 ports!

15. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much! You are fantastic! And all of this happens on the iBook right? Not on my regular computer in my house?

16. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Correct. Your wifi environment will be untouched

17. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, hopefully the browser on the iBook will support that website! Thanks again! :)

18. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Having a little trouble setting this up? How can I set this up on my iBook clamshell if there is no internet access yet? Should I do it on my iMac?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    Nevermind! Got it! Totally simple, and wow, it works!

19. aalls159, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

aalls159 macrumors newbie

From your Imac or Clamshell Plug the ethernet Cable into the Lan port on the Tp-Link and the ethernet port on one of the devices then go to a web browser and type in 192.168.0.254. You should be presented with a login window the username and password are both admin. Then Follow previous post to set up. Remember you will need to know your other router's SSID and Password.

***you Could also type in http://tplinkwifi.net instead of 192.168.0.254 but it can be more hit or miss then typing in the ip address of the router***