iBooks 1.1.1 Released

Discussion in 'iPad' started by calvin2006, Jul 19, 2010.

1. calvin2006 macrumors regular

A (mostly) maintenance update to iBooks was released today. Anyone notice any improvements yet?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Didn't you read the app description? Tap a picture in a book - try the free Pooh book - and it expands. Also, there's supposed tp be audio/video content support. I can't find any books with audio/video content to try, though. :(

3. calvin2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I meant beyond the obvious. People's experience with speed improvements, specifics about the PDF enhancements, etc.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But you called it "a mostly maintenance update." IMO, being able to zoom into pics and audio/video support seems like more than a maintenance update, so you'll have to pardon me for thinking maybe you'd missed those.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you have books with undefined or unknown as language in metadata, iBooks 1.1.1 will ignore it and go with the English dictionary. In 1.1, it would tell you it couldn't open the dictionary for the unknown language (or words to that affect).

If you had a lot of books converted with Calibre before a certain version, they wouldn't have the language set to "en". It was fixed in later versions. The upshot is that with 1.1, the book would have to be re-converted by the new version of Calibre to get the proper language tag. With iBooks 1.1.1, the tag is bypassed (apparently), so the tag becomes moot.

For me, it's great news, as I still had dozens of books that would have needed re-conversion through Calibre.

Hard to say on the PDF speed - seems very responsive. It's now my default PDF viewer.

6. Macmaniac411 macrumors member

Very satisfied with the update, especially with the zoom images because I am currently reading a book with some little "fun fact" picture on some pages. Also very happy with the PDF and overall improvements.

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I'm still waiting for two page PDF support. A couple subscriptions I download in PDF often have two page spreads.

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm looking forward to the ability to highlight and annotate PDF's. One of those touted features that came up short on release. Epub does it already but I have a lot of programming PDF ebooks that I'd rather not convert.

9. macDonalds macrumors 6502

10. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Same, the text in some magazines I've downloaded is not nearly as crisp.