iBooks reading on iPod Touch/iPhone. Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Leon575, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

It feels like I'm the only one who actually read books on such a small device lol. I've read 3 whole books on my iPod Touch. (The Firm, A Painted House and Jurassic Park). And I think it's brilliant. Because I have perfect vision the smallest font-size is just fine (distance of about 20 cm). But the most practical way for iPod Touch/iPhone is laying on the side.

I'm getting the iPad 2, so that's gonna be much better though.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You're not the only one

I too read books on my iPhone. I've read several in iBooks and a few in Kindle for iPhone. When I do end up getting and iPad[2] I will be doing most of my reading on that.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You are definitely not the only one. I read constantly on my iPhone. The portability allows me to read a lot more. I have an iPad that I read on, but only at home.

I read on my phone during my breaks at work, and basically anywhere else I have down time. The only bad thing is that I spend a ton of money on books. I go through them pretty quickly. :D

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm exactly the same. I read a lot on my iPhone during down time when I'm not at home. At home I read on my iPad but most of my reading is done when I'm out and about, so most of it (probably 80%) is on my iPhone.

- Julian

5. mattgoldey macrumors member

I constantly have mine in my pocket at work (and everywhere else). Apple iBooks (and nook and Kindle) are great for whenever I have a couple of minutes. I haven't read more than 2 or 3 books on it, but it works well!

Sure would be nice if somehow the screen could switch between the regular glossy iPod screen and the matte eInk-type screens that the eBook readers use. I usually have to crank down the brightness when I'm reading, it's too harsh on the eyes (even with the sepia color scheme enabled).

6. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I use my touch whenever I am waiting for services to be done such as the dentist, Dr., car lube etc. It fits in my pocket and is very handy. I increase the font size and scroll more but after a short while, I don't even notice it. I probably use my iPod 2 gen for iBooks more than anything else since I have a Nano in my car for music. I have an iPad that I use frequently but it never leaves the couch and a bit too large to carry around during the day.

7. molala macrumors 6502a

I do this as well, have Kindle on my iPhone and read it during down times, it's great at night before I fall asleep as I don't need good lighting.

8. mattgoldey macrumors member

9. madneo macrumors newbie

that's interesting, I never thought of doing it, I guess you need to be a big time reader in order to unconsciously get used to it. It's definitely not for everyone

10. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

What I like about reading on both the ipad and the iphone using ibooks is that when I bookmark the page of the book I am reading on either device it automatically updates to that page on the other device. At home I use the ipad for reading then bookmark the page when I am out and using the iphone I am at the same page... very neat. Also I just get lots of ebooks off the web and then convert them to the epub version using Calibre and then import them to itunes and sync my ipad and iphone. I must have over 300 books on both devices I usually get through at least one book a day. I have also done this on the ipod touchs that I have.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I bought 1 book and read it on my iPhone - then I got a kindle.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I sometimes read on my iPhone. Mainly, I use my Kindle.

13. menolly13 macrumors newbie

I read on my ipod on a daily basis using ibooks, kindle, kobo, or nook. I probably use ibooks the most though as I get a lot of my books in pdf form and reformat them with calibre. My main reason for getting the ipod was to have an ebook reader that was small enough to tote around - all of the other apps and the mp3 player were just an added bonus for me. ;) I got my ipod at Christmas time and have probably read 50+ books on it since then. (Yes, I'm an avid reader.) I use the sepia "paper" and set the font on the middle setting and can read comfortably for hours without eye strain. You get used to the tapping after a while - I no longer notice it.
    I highly recommend the free app - OverDrive - which allows you to borrow ebooks from your local library. Mine doesn't have a huge selection yet, but hey, a free book is a free book.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Not alone. I don't do it myself as the 2G can't get iBooks, but my aunt routinely uses her iPhone for reading.

15. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I read books and other media on my iPod every day. In fact I'm about to start reading A Tale of Two Cities.

16. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I've read 8 or 10 books on my iPod and zero on my iPad. For me having my iPod along and being able to read whenever I have to wait for something makes up for the smaller screen.

17. penfan82 macrumors regular

Ur not alone though I own a droid x not an iPhone I tried my first ebook on the phone and I loved it since then I got an iPad and now read on both reading on ur phone or iPod has the advantage that u can have ur book with u anywhere like dr offices on break at work on car rides etc without having to carry ur iPad around or the book for that matter

18. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I read tons of books on my iPod too. I primarily use iBooks but if I find a free ebook on the net while surfing with Mercury, I just open it up in Stanza, read it, and transfer it to iBooks when I get home. I usually read for about an hour in bed before falling asleep.

19. leinad1980 macrumors member

I also read books on my Ipod touch using both the IBooks & Kindle apps.

20. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I own an iPad but most of book reading is done on my iPhone and I read a book a week.

21. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I've read about 5 or 6 on the ibooks app on my ipod touch 4g, only reading classics (besides they're free:D) and love it so far. I read around 30-35 on the old cydia sourced books app from a few years ago (use to read them constantly on my jb 1st gen touch).

22. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Whats your secret for actually getting that to work? Mine NEVER EVER has worked right, it's so aggravating to have to go back through the same pages to find the page I was on.

23. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Hmmm, mine updates between my iPhone, iPod, and iPad in iBooks and the Kindle app reliably. Only my Nook app is hit and miss; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't but the other two are pretty reliable. I never did anything special. I don't even bookmark.