iBooks update available now

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by SiriusVector, Jun 21, 2010.

1. SiriusVector macrumors regular

Title says it all. iBooks for iPad with PDF available now.

2. DVDxR macrumors regular

Really??? All I see in the app store from the iPad is version 1.0.1 :( Is it only showing up from iTunes?

3. Deamos macrumors member

Yes it is there. I have updated my ipad and iphone w/ ibooks 1.1

4. DVDxR macrumors regular

Yep, just went out and back in and it showed up :p

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Is there any way to save PDF's from safari into iBooks?

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It's running slow for me, larger PDF's seem to lock the app up. I'm resetting the iPad to see if that fixes it.

7. SiriusVector thread starter macrumors regular

I think GoodReader is still better. iBooks offers nothing special, except brightness control and bookmarks.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

And syncing spots between Apple's devices.

9. SiriusVector thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but it's highly unlikely you are going to read a big PDF on your iPhone/iPod Touch, right?

10. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I'm looking forward to installing this later tonight. I have plenty of ebooks in PDF format that become garbled upon conversion to html/epub, etc.

Hopefully we'll be able to tag a PDF to have it appear under "Books" and not "PDFs" in iBooks. :)

This probably won't replace GoodReader (entirely), but it'll allow me to load up my PDF ebook collection...we'll see if it can handle textbooks nicely. GoodReader lets me send my pdfs to iAnnotate, so I'm not sure I'll move all my textbooks over to iBooks just yet, unless iBooks miraculously has "open in" capabilities, which I doubt it does.

11. iPagan macrumors regular

For some reason, iBooks 1.1 won't be updated on my iPad after the sync with iTunes(9.2) on my MBP 13" :confused:

In my iTunes App section, iBooks is 1.1 per the Info tab, but on my iPad, iBooks still has the OLD interface. There is NO PDF tab on it! :confused:

I did a hard shut off and restart by simultaneously pressing home and wake button, deleted iBooks from iTunes, and then reinstalled, still no go. What's wrong?

12. Deamos macrumors member

The PDF tab does not show up until you upload the first PDF to your ipad. Try dragging a PDF to itunes and syncing it up.

13. Tweetybird macrumors newbie

Once you add a PDF the tab appears. It does run slowly though.

14. iPagan macrumors regular

Yes, the PDF tab showed up, after I dragged some PDF files into the Book section of iTunes 9.2!

Thanks, guys, for the help!

In the meantime, it does NOT allow me to drop a folder with PDF files in it into the Book category in iTunes. It ONLY allows me to drop INDIVIDUAL PDF files into the Book category in iTunes.

Is there any way to drop a FOLDER containing PDF files into the Book category of iTunes?

Thanks.

15. Deamos macrumors member

Not that I can find. I tried several different methods and none of them worked. Honestly, since iBooks doesn't allow for intelligent sorting and managing of PDFs, I think I'm going to stay in Goodreader for now.

16. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

17. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

Has anyone figured out a way to save a PDF to the iBooks app right on the iPad itself? I've opened PDFs in mobile Safari but i don't see a way to open it up in iBooks.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Same here. I can't seem to get the PDFs from Safari to iBooks.

Edit: Got them into iBooks using iTunes. But no cover art! I wish iTunes could assign any cover art you like to PDFs.

19. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

It seems more than a little ridiculous to me that Apple would allow you to save PDFs from Mail but not from Safari. :rolleyes: You would think people would encounter PDFs more when they are browsing the web. So basically I either need to use iTunes or email the PDFs to myself to get them on my iPad..... Grrrr!

20. virx macrumors member

Upgraded iBooks and lost dictionary :confused: Whenever I try to look up a word it says now 'Dictionary not available for your language' (my language is English). Does anyone know how I can revert to an older version?

21. Skystar macrumors 6502

I hope they fix this with an update soon, along with album art for PDFs

22. gucciipad macrumors member

is there a way you can email ur self ebooks larger than25mb?

23. rydenfan macrumors member

Didn't see this mentioned, but you can now move and organize books on your bookshelf :D before they were always locked in place for me so I was glad to see this.

24. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

I was able to organize books before the update, but glad it works for you now.

Arrgh, I lost my dictionary too :(