Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
It's running slow for me, larger PDF's seem to lock the app up. I'm resetting the iPad to see if that fixes it.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I'm looking forward to installing this later tonight. I have plenty of ebooks in PDF format that become garbled upon conversion to html/epub, etc.

Hopefully we'll be able to tag a PDF to have it appear under "Books" and not "PDFs" in iBooks. :)

This probably won't replace GoodReader (entirely), but it'll allow me to load up my PDF ebook collection...we'll see if it can handle textbooks nicely. GoodReader lets me send my pdfs to iAnnotate, so I'm not sure I'll move all my textbooks over to iBooks just yet, unless iBooks miraculously has "open in" capabilities, which I doubt it does.

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
For some reason, iBooks 1.1 won't be updated on my iPad after the sync with iTunes(9.2) on my MBP 13" :confused:

In my iTunes App section, iBooks is 1.1 per the Info tab, but on my iPad, iBooks still has the OLD interface. There is NO PDF tab on it! :confused:

I did a hard shut off and restart by simultaneously pressing home and wake button, deleted iBooks from iTunes, and then reinstalled, still no go. What's wrong?

Deamos

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
For some reason, iBooks 1.1 won't be updated on my iPad after the sync with iTunes(9.2) on my MBP 13" :confused:

In my iTunes App section, iBooks is 1.1 per the Info tab, but on my iPad, iBooks still has the OLD interface. There is NO PDF tab on it! :confused:

I did a hard shut off and restart by simultaneously pressing home and wake button, deleted iBooks from iTunes, and then reinstalled, still no go. What's wrong?

The PDF tab does not show up until you upload the first PDF to your ipad. Try dragging a PDF to itunes and syncing it up.

Tweetybird

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010

Once you add a PDF the tab appears. It does run slowly though.

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Yes, the PDF tab showed up, after I dragged some PDF files into the Book section of iTunes 9.2!

Thanks, guys, for the help!

In the meantime, it does NOT allow me to drop a folder with PDF files in it into the Book category in iTunes. It ONLY allows me to drop INDIVIDUAL PDF files into the Book category in iTunes.

Is there any way to drop a FOLDER containing PDF files into the Book category of iTunes?

Thanks.

Deamos

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
Yes, the PDF tab showed up, after I dragged some PDF files into the Book section of iTunes 9.2!

Thanks, guys, for the help!

In the meantime, it does NOT allow me to drop a folder with PDF files in it into the Book category in iTunes. It ONLY allows me to drop INDIVIDUAL PDF files into the Book category in iTunes.

Is there any way to drop a FOLDER containing PDF files into the Book category of iTunes?

Thanks.

Not that I can find. I tried several different methods and none of them worked. Honestly, since iBooks doesn't allow for intelligent sorting and managing of PDFs, I think I'm going to stay in Goodreader for now.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Has anyone figured out a way to save a PDF to the iBooks app right on the iPad itself? I've opened PDFs in mobile Safari but i don't see a way to open it up in iBooks.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Has anyone figured out a way to save a PDF to the iBooks app right on the iPad itself? I've opened PDFs in mobile Safari but i don't see a way to open it up in iBooks.

Same here. I can't seem to get the PDFs from Safari to iBooks.

Edit: Got them into iBooks using iTunes. But no cover art! I wish iTunes could assign any cover art you like to PDFs.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Same here. I can't seem to get the PDFs from Safari to iBooks.

Edit: Got them into iBooks using iTunes. But no cover art! I wish iTunes could assign any cover art you like to PDFs.

It seems more than a little ridiculous to me that Apple would allow you to save PDFs from Mail but not from Safari. :rolleyes: You would think people would encounter PDFs more when they are browsing the web. So basically I either need to use iTunes or email the PDFs to myself to get them on my iPad..... Grrrr!

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Upgraded iBooks and lost dictionary :confused: Whenever I try to look up a word it says now 'Dictionary not available for your language' (my language is English). Does anyone know how I can revert to an older version?

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
It seems more than a little ridiculous to me that Apple would allow you to save PDFs from Mail but not from Safari. :rolleyes: You would think people would encounter PDFs more when they are browsing the web. So basically I either need to use iTunes or email the PDFs to myself to get them on my iPad..... Grrrr!

I hope they fix this with an update soon, along with album art for PDFs

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Didn't see this mentioned, but you can now move and organize books on your bookshelf :D before they were always locked in place for me so I was glad to see this.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Didn't see this mentioned, but you can now move and organize books on your bookshelf :D before they were always locked in place for me so I was glad to see this.

I was able to organize books before the update, but glad it works for you now.

Upgraded iBooks and lost dictionary :confused: Whenever I try to look up a word it says now 'Dictionary not available for your language' (my language is English). Does anyone know how I can revert to an older version?

Arrgh, I lost my dictionary too :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.