iBooks Update Bug?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by VvCompHelpvV, Jun 21, 2010.

1. VvCompHelpvV macrumors member

Alright, so since I updated the iBooks app, the dictionary function within the app doesn't work anymore. I get some "language not compatible" or something like that.

Am I the only one having problems here?

This dictionary feature is one of the first things that I show people when they ask about reading on the iPad. I always get a "Wow!" out of it...lol

2. Chris.Thomson macrumors member

3. pastormikec macrumors newbie

4. Tweetybird macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. It works in books I purchased, but not in epub books.

5. VvCompHelpvV thread starter macrumors member

I noticed the same thing.

I even looked up the same word in both the ibook and the epub.

8( This sucks....I hope a quick update will come out to work for us epubbers

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Haven't noticed that, bit have noticed that the update didn't fix a rendering problem with words at the top of the page - I often see a few little lines at the top of each page like they're slivers of cut-off words from a line above. Anyone else notice this?

7. VvCompHelpvV thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Never had this problem. 8/

8. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Freaky. Should have taken a snap of it before. Tried changing font size: that fixed it. Tried changing it back: still fixed. Problem appears to be gone.

A fluke of shifting between one font to another at a certain size in a particular sequence?

9. iPagan macrumors regular

My experience is just the opposite: the dictionary does NOT show up in the books I have purchased--"Dictionary not available for this language"; in the free books, the dictionary shows up!:confused:

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Same issue here. Most books I've purchased do work. Most epubs I've imported do not work. Can't say either category is 100%. I'm anxiously awaiting some kind of solution to the problem, as the dictionary is one of the most useful features of iBooks.

I will definitely post back if I figure out a fix (I have a couple of ideas in mind to try - just haven't had time yet).

11. mchank macrumors regular

iLounge recently had an article about this, and a fix for it:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/how-to-fix-dictionary-problems-in-ibooks-1.1/

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

For those of you who use Calibre to convert your ebooks to the epub format, version 0.7.6 seems to fix the problem with the "unknown" language metadata.

Run the conversion on the broken ebook to epub using v0.7.6, import into iTunes (after deleting the broken book from both iTunes and your device), and re-sync. I've done a couple so far, and they now work properly with the dictionary.

Calibre will use the language set in its Prefrences, under General.

14. vraptor65 macrumors newbie

Yup....the new version of Calibre fixed the issue quite nicely....