iCal 1.0.1, iSync 1.0 released

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by Beej
Yep, iCal has the wrong date for me, too. Says it's th 2nd, but it's the 3rd. (And yes, my system date and time is correct.)
No Problems here in Germany. According to CET, it's 2 AM now, that would be 5 PM in Cupertino... iCal says it's the 3rd, though it's the 2nd in California... so it's working just fine here.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
I sent Apple some feedback on the problems, so hopefully they're working on a fix. But really, they should pull the download until it's fixed (for Australia anyway).

In it's current state, I really can't use it.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Originally posted by adamcoop
There is actually a forum on the Apple discussion boards:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.3bbd7fc4/1!login=true

Many, many people have been a little annoyed with this.
Yeah, I've just been reading the posts. It seems the problem is occuring for people outside the US mainland and possibly something to do with the OSX clock sync - which seems weird. Don't understand why Apple doesn't pull the download!

gairloch

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2002
Montréal
Wrong Date??? Wrong Settings, perhaps.

Originally posted by TheT

No Problems here in Germany. According to CET, it's 2 AM now, that would be 5 PM in Cupertino... iCal says it's the 3rd, though it's the 2nd in California... so it's working just fine here.
[/QUOTE

No problems here in South Korea, either. The date is correct, the time is correct,....

AND my monthly view starts on Monday - just like it is set in my preferences. [There was a post above about this not working].

If you're experiencing troubles, I'd suggest reinstalling the program.

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Re: Wrong Date??? Wrong Settings, perhaps.

Originally posted by gairloch

If you're experiencing troubles, I'd suggest reinstalling the program.
Yep. tried that (including removing the package receipts, as well as all preferences etc).

Still no go.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Well everyone that is experiencing an issue should send feedback to Apple, I'm sure they will have a fix out soon.

artistry

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Brighton, UK
iCal and Stickies

I'm gonna see if AppleScript could deal with converting notes to stickies. I've got a convoluted idea in my head... ;)

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Re: iCal and Stickies

Originally posted by artistry
I'm gonna see if AppleScript could deal with converting notes to stickies. I've got a convoluted idea in my head... ;)
There's a keyboard shortcut for it (shft + cmd + y), so I can't imagine it'd be too hard...

What do you have in mind?

Xenex

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
There was a guy in Hawaii that reported the same thing, so we can assume this is not just a retribution from Steve because he didn't like vegemite.
Maybe it is a vegemite thing then.
No no, it's not a vegemite thing! Vegemite is totally and utterly vegan, and is a rich source of vitamin B! Everyone loves vitamin B!

"We're happy little vegemites, as bright as bright can be..."

artistry

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Brighton, UK
notes to stickies

Sorry - bit of a gap between the original comment and my reply!

The idea is to allow memos on a Palm to be converted into stickies so that you don't need to use Palm Desktop or Entourage, which seem pretty stupid as iCal, Mail and Address Book make most of those apps obsolete.

My idea involves getting the memos in the form of .txt documents and converting those into stickies, maybe giving a different colour depending on category. I can think of a way to do it. I can't see it being of any use whatsoever, but it's a challenge! :D

But seriously, it does seem silly that the memo capability of Palms isn't catered for in Apple's iApps. If you use memos on Palms you either need to keep Entourage/Palm Desktop (so what's the point in using iCal etc?) or a third party alternative which aren't as elegant.

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
I don't have a Palm, so excuse my ignorance, but when you connect the Palm to your Mac, does it mount like an iPod, or do you need Palm Desktop just to see what's on the thing?

If it did mount, that'd make things very easy.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
.mac address book

YAY! Coming 07 Jan, I can see my address book anywhere! I have been waiting for this feature.

I know it's been a target of alot of complaints, but, .mac is working for me very well. I enjoy the games, the email (with this address book) and the anit-virus make it worth it. I haven't gotten around to doing a homepage yet, but, at least I know it's available to me.

Tim

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't have a Palm, so excuse my ignorance, but when you connect the Palm to your Mac, does it mount like an iPod, or do you need Palm Desktop just to see what's on the thing?

If it did mount, that'd make things very easy.
Everything works through Palm Desktop's HotSync application. It's the only method by which the Palm device and the computer can talk to one another that I know of.

There's no way to "mount" the Palm as an external drive. If I'm wrong though, let me know :) I'd half like to be able to.

My first handheld experience was when I was still in the Windows world with one of the first Pocket PCs, and those could be mounted like a disk to some level. It took some getting used to the Palm way of doing things, can't say which I like better though ... I'm not really sure.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Re: notes to stickies

Originally posted by artistry
My idea involves getting the memos in the form of .txt documents and converting those into stickies, maybe giving a different colour depending on category. I can think of a way to do it. I can't see it being of any use whatsoever, but it's a challenge! :D

But seriously, it does seem silly that the memo capability of Palms isn't catered for in Apple's iApps.
That's a good idea. I'm trying to think of something other than Stickies that they could be synced with though, I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in coding some kind of iNote organizer application that fits more with the iApps (with Stickies-like functionality for those who prefer it), complete with a Palm conduit ;-)

lol, no harm in asking right? I'd do it myself, but I only dabble in programming and a Palm Conduit would be way over my head.

More on-topic, the iCal and iSync updates went 90% well with me. iCal is much speedier. iSync did some duplication (all the holidays, oddly enough, but no other calendar items were duplicated) and I got an odd glitch in my Address Book that duplicated a lot of people's email addresses as WORK and HOME.

Interestingly, both of these things happened when I first installed the iSync beta :) and now again with the final. I guess I should wait for iSync 2, third-install's the charm right?

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Re: My iCal's gone CRAAAAAZY!

If this is in fact an Australia-only problem, then it just adds to the theory Apple doesn't realise our whopping-great fraking-huge continent exists.
I think you'll find that Australia is a country, mate.

Australasia is the continent.

;)

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
HELP!

:( I downloaded the new versions of iCal and iSync yesterday, and iCal is fine, but iSync has become totallly unresponsive. Does anybody know what I should do?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Re: Re: My iCal's gone CRAAAAAZY!

Originally posted by geeman

If this is in fact an Australia-only problem, then it just adds to the theory Apple doesn't realise our whopping-great fraking-huge continent exists.

I think you'll find that Australia is a country, mate.

Australasia is the continent.

;)
Please note that this is supposed to be informatie, not rude :)... Time for a geography lesson. Why is it that no one knows anything about Australia?

Australia is a continent.
Australia is the largest island in the world.
Australia is the only country that occupies and entire continent.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa050397.htm?terms=continents

You may also like to see this, more about continents:
http://geography.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=continents&SUName=geography&TopNode=3042&type=1

Oh, and here are some bonus points for you :D:
Australians are friendly. :):):):):)
Australians do NOT speak like Steve Irwin, the crocidile hunter.
Australia's population is about 20 million.
No one outside Australia seems to know anything about Australia.

And here is a map of the world:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/

Australasia is the term used to refer to the blue section on the above map. Australiasia is not a continent.

orthodoc

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2002
Texas
Some people outside of Australia already knew this. :D I know how you feel, many people don't know that Texas is its own country (at least, we native Texans think it still is). ;)

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Third Floor
Oh Cripes....

Ahhh, the 'Don't mess with Texas' thing again. Here's an idea, take a Texas-size chainsaw, cut your state__sorry, country__away from the rest of the U.S. and float out to sea. WooHoo! ByeBYe! (waving from the shore in Oklahoma)

Geronimo

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Nashville
For those with iSync problems

I had lots of problems getting iSync to play nice with my Palm. After much headbanging and consulting different discussion threads, I came across the fact that Apple has an iSync beta uninstaller in the support section of their website. So if you're having problems with iSync 1.0 and you installed it over iSync beta, use the beta uninstaller and then reinstall v1.0.

You can find it here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120160

Other things to remember: Before attempting to install iSync 1.0, you first need to install iCal 1.0.1 because iSync 1.0 will not work with the original iCal 1.0. Second, its a good idea to backup your Address Book and iCal data before trying to sync. If you are a .mac member, their Backup app works nicely to do this, saving your data to your iDisk. Third, if the data in your Address Book and iCal is all OK and there isn't anything on your device that you don't already have on your Mac, before you try to sync with other devices, I would suggest setting iSync so that the first sync with the device erases any data on the device before syncing.

Hope this is helpful.

kanaka

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Re: My iCal's gone CRAAAAAZY!

There was a guy in Hawaii that reported the same thing, so we can assume this is not just a retribution from Steve because he didn't like vegemite.
I'm in Hawaii, and I can comfirm that my iCal has completely flipped out. If I create a new event and put 2:13pm in the 'New Event' window, the box in the calendar says '2:00', and it actually appears in the 8:15am time slot. The time controls in the 'new event' window are completely unusable -- if I use the number keys an hour 6 hours ahead is displayed in the info window (which of course doesn't match anything displayed in the main iCal window), and if I use the time-arrows it skips huge spans of time!

-Keaka

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Re: Re: My iCal's gone CRAAAAAZY!

Originally posted by kanaka

I'm in Hawaii, and I can comfirm that my iCal has completely flipped out. If I create a new event and put 2:13pm in the 'New Event' window, the box in the calendar says '2:00', and it actually appears in the 8:15am time slot. The time controls in the 'new event' window are completely unusable -- if I use the number keys an hour 6 hours ahead is displayed in the info window (which of course doesn't match anything displayed in the main iCal window), and if I use the time-arrows it skips huge spans of time!

-Keaka
Just a thought... do they sell vegemite in Hawaii?

But seriously, how long do you think it'll take to get an bug fix out?