iCal 1.5.5 Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Now available via Software Update:
iCal 1.5.5 includes improvements in iSync synchronization on computers running Mac OS X version 10.2.

iCal 1.5.4 or later includes security enhancements to help protect your computer when subscribing to calendars or importing events with alarms that open files or applications.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
err...ok then

so this will only help 1.5.4 users who are on 10.2?

EDIT:
Installed and ical runs fine and same as it did before, isync worked fine and same as it did before

i dont use 10.2, like most everyone here, i live on the bleeding edge of updates, i use 10.3.6 and I check daily for 10.3.7 and beyond

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
no problems here. not that I was expecting any, but I've heard stories...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is it a new security fix, a repeated explanation of the previous fix, or a fix to the previous security fix? Remember, this was the description of the patch three weeks ago:
iCal 1.5.4 includes security enhancements to help protect your computer when importing events with alarms that open files or applications.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
A wimpy update, but it's nice to see that Apple is still doing some updates for Jaguar users. I mean, not everyone can afford the $129 update every 6 months. :eek: I'm on Panther at home, stuck on Jaguar at work 'cause they're too cheap to upgrade anything! :(

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
faustofernos said:
I am the king of the Mac-Addicts! Whooo.

I'm still going to wait about a week to update my iCal. I dont want any iTunes2 catastrophes happening to me. (Does anyone remember how iTunes 2 update hosed peoples hard drives?)
Yep, it all came from someone not realizing that when a hard disk has spaces in the name, you should enclose the name in quotation marks (or escape the spaces) before sending it to the "rm -r" command.

Imagine having two disks - one named "MyDisk" and "MyDisk 2". Which command would you rather have run on your system:

rm -r /Volumes/MyDisk 2/Applications/iTunes.app/whatever

or

rm - r "/Volumes/MyDisk 2/Applications/iTunes.app/whatever"

I'm sure whoever did that learned their lesson. ;)

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
You mean every six months like how they've not released a 10.x point release less than a year from the previous one? That six months?

~J

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
All fine here.

That took forever to install and optimize. Have patience. (Download was fast as always.)

DStaal

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
*Sigh* My appointments ending at 12am (midnight) still show up twice. Maybe next update.

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
DStaal: that is correct behavior. If they end at 12:00:00, they technically project into the next day and should be marked as such. End your meetings at 11:59:59 if it bothers you that much ;)

~J

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Still can't snooze events for 30 minutes (or, Jobs forbid, for a user-defined amount of time).

And who the heck would want to snooze something for one minute? WTF could that possibly be for?

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
ical in Tiger's a no-go too. Still no Entourage/Outlook-like integration that would actually make it useful.

I find it amusing that Apple wants ical installed along with isync, like they're trying hard to push ical knowing full well that it's not helpful to most. If it wasn't for isync, ical would have no business taking up valuable space on my HD.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some_Big_Spoon said:
ical in Tiger's a no-go too. Still no Entourage/Outlook-like integration that would actually make it useful.
Toe said:
Still can't snooze events for 30 minutes (or, Jobs forbid, for a user-defined amount of time).
Have you sent in your iCal feedback? That's what they need to hear, politely. ;)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
What the, I downloaded the update, then got a cannot be verified and expanded correctly error. The dialog says to make sure I have permission to some temp folder for software update. I've tried repairing permissions, and that didn't help.

I only have one account, the admin account.

kemck

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2001
iCal Install Problem

Ok this is the first time EVER! I got an error doing a update...

can someone explain this one to me!!!!!

Make sure you have permission to write to /tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, then try again.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
faustofernos said:
I am the king of the Mac-Addicts! Whooo.
Actually, you are 5th in line...:rolleyes:

Raven VII said:
What the, I downloaded the update, then got a cannot be verified and expanded correctly error. The dialog says to make sure I have permission to some temp folder for software update. I've tried repairing permissions, and that didn't help.

I only have one account, the admin account.
Did you try it again? If it fails, that might be the default message to display.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
coolfactor said:
Have you sent in your iCal feedback? That's what they need to hear, politely. ;)
Apple doesn't listen when it comes down to iCal. There has been a long thread about this.

The problem is obviously Steve doesn't use iCal. If he did, there is no way it would suck as bad as it does.