iCal icon not updating in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by absurdio, Jan 25, 2008.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

Odd issue: I'm running Leopard (10.5.1), and iCal's icon in my dock sometimes just stops updating. That is, the date on the calendar is sometimes a day or two behind.

If I restart, the icon reflects the correct date; at midnight, though, the date changes, and the icon does not. If i start iCal, the date in the icon is correct again, but once i quit iCal the date reverts to whatever inaccurate date it was before i opened iCal.

I don't get it. Note: this is NOT the problem of iCal always displaying June 17. That was corrected in Leopard...only in my case, the icon doesn't work as it should.

Date and time are correct on my machine...

help?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try removing it from the Dock, then add it back in. That seemed to fix it for me.

3. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, so far, so good.
    I took iCal out of my dock and replaced it. The date is, for now, correct. I won't know until midnight if it actually updates properly now, but if it does, I'll be thrilled to pieces that the solution was so simple. Thanks a bunch!

Edit: ...Sure enough, that did the trick! Thanks!

4. kdbdallas macrumors newbie

Yes and No

This fixes until it gets stuck again.

There is a bug here.
    Some times I have had to do this a couple of times a week on my MBP.

On my MBP it seemed to happen when the laptop was sleeping at midnight.
    However I just got this bug on my Mac Pro which has been running non-stop (no sleep, just screen saver)

My iCal says its July 5th, but its July 13th.

5. Fuzzy-Wan macrumors newbie

What version of Leopard?

For me this problem went away with the 10.5.2 update. Which was slightly annoying, because I'd found a fix for it on my own and was feeling rather proud of myself. :(

My fix might help your Mac Pro. It involves editing the BSD /etc/ntp.conf file to force the system to update its clock at least once a day, then locking the file so the Date & Time preference pane can't reset it.