ICEMDesign Aluminium Screwless Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Frenchjay, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Hands down this is the best Aluminium case I've ever seen. Unfortunately it seems like it is not available yet but it's well worth bookmarking this site and checking back.

http://icemdesign.com/index.php/pro...-09-28-01-10-13/2011-09-28-01-14-51/screwless

The website really doesn't do it justice but I found a video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RINMXyDVLG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Great design although the YouTube poster says he has signal issues. Maybe they will rectify that before it goes on sale!

2. anglognzls macrumors newbie

anglognzls

Looks nice. If they come out with a full white, count me in.

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

"lose signal?"

Drops a whole bunch as mentioned on YouTube.... Out of the running for me....:(

4. asleep, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

6. SinisterKid macrumors member

SinisterKid

On the video he completely loses his signal when the case is put on. That is out of the running for everyone I would say. That is unless the company comes up with some sort of fix before its release.

7. SCARY GAY DAD, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

I agree this is one of the best looking cases out there. Could use some finishing touches though as it looks a bit unrefined. Really hope they sort that signal issue too before it's available to the public.

I'm at work so I have limited access, but any word on projected pricing thus far?

-SGD

EDIT: The video says the price is projected to be around $40.

8. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah, right at the end of the video the guy said the company would probably be selling these for around 40$ which is a fair price for an Aluminium case like that. I really hope they can solve the signal issue. As you said this is one of the best looking cases out there and the design is more suitable than cases that use screws. I think the simplicity of applying the case with the choice of colours is a winner! :)

9. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

10. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

11. SinisterKid macrumors member

SinisterKid

Thats a great looking case. I found this web site as they are currently moving it to retail sales and if you put your email in they will notify you when the product is available.

http://icase.jasonvalalik.com/?lrRef=0oPOq

12. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Ok, just an update here. I contacted the designer of this case and he has agreed to send out a pre-production case to me for testing.

He says some improvements have been made to the signal issue and gps is stil slightly affected but useable. They are based in China and the designer is really nice to speak with. He will be providing me with more information on the case with reguards to pricing, accessories, shipping costs etc and I will be testing the signal issue to see it it has an adverse affect on the operation of the phone.

It should be here in a few weeks so I will post an extensive review once i receive it. :)

13. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

14. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Link?

15. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Link

Really, just google it, it isn't rocket science -.-

16. JayJayJay macrumors member

Wow. I can honestly say that, I've never quite read SUCH a negative review on a phone case. When the last paragraph of a review is:

"Overall the Aura and Aura Pro by ICEM Design are just garbage. They fall apart, don't fit right, and destroy the signal on your phone. You're honestly better off having no case at all than this horrid product. If you were thinking of getting this case, save your cash (and your phone) and look elsewhere. "

There is very little chance that the case is any good.

17. Dheald macrumors member

Just a heads up everyone. That first link in the first post sent my antivirus into a tizzy.

Trojan warning!! ;)

18. Frenchjay, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Hey guys so i received the sample Aura Pro IPhone 4s case from ICEMDesign.

This review will be based on the fact the case is at testing and pre-production stage.

DESIGN

The case comes in three parts. The main body sits round the sides of the phone and comes with rubber inserts to stop it from touching the metal band and to stop it from affecting the signal. The thinner rail piece slided onto the main piece and slides from the top down and clicks into place at the bottom making it flush with the main piece. You can also include a backplate to the thinner piece before applying it to the main body. The rail like system works well and is much better than screwing it in. Without the backplate it does move around slightly but really it's hardly noticeable. Both the volume up/down and sleep/wake are metal and have a nice tactile feel to them much like the original IPhone buttons. The charging port is nice and big and no problems arise when using the stock IPhone cable or a third party cable. I don't know about docking because i do not own one. The headphone port is slightly recessed but i was able to fit my Sennheiser IE8's with an l shaped jack with no problems. It also has a small lanyard double holed system next to the headphone port if you want to use one.

SIGNAL

I get four bars of 3G at home consistently and with the case on it drops down to three. Calls were no problem. Clear voices with no distortion, no break ups or interference. When browsing this took a slight hit but it was merely milliseconds compared to having the case off. GPS was fine also when using Google maps and dropping a pin on your location faired well along with using it for travel. I had zero problems on wifi with this case.

ACCESSORIES

This case only came with a clear backplate made of plastic although other colours can be bought separately. In the future these backplates will be made of an impact resistant material called Poron. I feel more choice would be nice with the purchase although a wide range of coloured backplates are available (sold separately).

PROS

Great ease of putting the case on and taking it off
    looks
    Ability to charge with the case on
    Choice of backplate or not when fitting
    Lay on the table design (although slight)

CONS

Slight signal degradation
    May not be able to be used with a dock
    Not all headphones may fit the recessed headphone port
    Slight movement with no backplate on the case

FINAL THOUGHTS

I was sceptical of this case after Gadgetmacs review but pleasantly surprised after using it for a couple of days. If your signal is already bad then this might not be for you. However if you have a generally good one then i would recommend this. Based on the looks, the ease of applying the case, the available accessories and the feel then i would buy this myself.

PICTURES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

20. Frenchjay, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

Frenchjay

21. Frenchjay, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

Frenchjay

Hey guys i received some more test cases today. I'm just showing off some pictures for now but i will post a review on the updated cases tomorrow. They each are slightly different in design. Some have all Four antenna breaks cut out from the Aluminium to expose the Black antenna bands, another has Three and an other has Two. They are also hybrid in the colour scheme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

22. Frenchjay, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Frenchjay

Ok i'm just following up my previous post with some thoughts on the new cases and the alterations that have been made to it.

These cases have Four cut outs from the Aluminium where the Four Antenna breaks are situated on the 4S. This DOES seem to help with signal degradation often found with Aluminium Bumpers. From previous models of this case the 3G signal seems to be more consistent and less likely to drop bars. I can only say over the past Six days of using this case i have only found it to be burden in areas where signal was weak anyway. Now with these alterations the cosmetic look has been impacted but it's not very intrusive and it's a decent compromise for having good 3G with the case on.

After advising the designer on a few points the Sim Card cut out on the case will be optional considering the ease of the case being removed without any screws being used. Also the rail back piece (pictured below) will be offered in colours of your choice away from the main Silver Aluminium look of the body of the case. It will also come in another variety of solid colours.

The case will be going into final production soon and i will check back here with prices and availability.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. slapppy macrumors 65816

Do you have these to test also? From their site, it looks like they make one in ABS+PC. I'm not sure what PC is but it looks as though there is a non aluminum version of the case.

"Ultimate Material

Select General Electric high grade ABS+PC to provide strong and gloss finishing!"

24. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I did not receive any plastic ones but there is a Youtube video reviewing them here. I believe the PC means Polycarbonate which will be Plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ZNRx7rJmQ

They are not available yet but they will be soon :)

25. speed4tu macrumors member