MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Appleinsider reports on a research note by analyst Shaw Wu about a possible second version of the iPhone from Apple.

This second version would incoporate Apple's iChat software and may be dubbed "iChat mobile". According to Wu, Instant Messaging (rather than email) would be the focus of the device.

According to recent reports, one version of the iPhone has already been contracted out with target delivery in early 2007. This first version of the iPhone was described as a candy-bar form factor (artist rendition).

Previous predictions of Shaw Wu are reviewed in our Guide pages.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
To be honest, it's only another iPhone rumor to add to the mix. The idea that Apple is ploughing ahead with new models is nice, but let's wait for v1.0 first before we start speculating about 'new' features.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, I have to say that I was getting pretty tired of all the iPhone rumors day after day.

But now that they're talking about a totally DIFFERENT phone than the one we know nothing about...well that's much better! :D

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
This rumor kinda makes me laugh. Something about having a rumor about an update to a product that we haven't even seen yet seems comical to me.

I am in the market for a new phone though. Looking at the rumored BB 8800 or the Apple phone if it's up to par. Only time will tell.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I think he meant, that besides the standard edition, there will also be a model with iChat itegrated. BTW, iChat Mobile is an old name. I saw it on this board several months ago.

My Siemens MC60 is getting pretty old. I really hope they release it before February 9th (my birthday:D ).

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I want a device the size of an ipod that I can check my mail on, chat, and do some web-surfing for info, all without the ridiculous GUI deformities of windows mobile and treo, etc. and simple, easy to use hardware to back it up. I want to take it out of my pocket, see what I want, then put it away. Seamless integration with my macs as well.

Maybe I'm in a nitch, but I don't see how this could lose. Make it simple, powerful, and seamless and people will ditch the baffling ordeal of their ipaq-esque phones in a heatbeat.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I think Apple will incorporate this type of functionality into their first phone. Why the heck else would people buy it, because it's pretty?! It has to have enough sweet features to convince people to drop their current phone and maybe even contract, otherwise it's going to be a huge and very very well publicized flop. They've gotten a lot of free press lately on the iPhone so they can't screw this up or the general public (not just us mac geeks) will hear about it.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
If this is designed specifically for mobile text-based chat, I'll be all over it in a flash.

SMS and MSN and other text-based messaging have changed my life and the lives of deaf people around the world. Before, telcoms was a closed world to me, now I'm never without my O2 XDA mini :)

It isn't just Paris Hilton who carries a sidekick, millions of USA deaf people do, and I'm willing to bet us deaf form a significant proportion of sales of mobiles-with-qwerty-keyboards around the world.

Bring it on Apple, I'm sick of using Windows Mobile on my otherwise awesomely excellent HTC hardware.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
this has been expected anyway, 2 versions.

I just hope the pro version is the one with the iChat on it :)

otherwise ill end up buying both LOL

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Come on iPhone! I have been wanting to get a new phone, and if this is as cool as it appears, then i might have to empty my wallet

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
just to clear something up. This right now appears to be a text-based phone. I don't think Wu is talking about iChat AV functionality. Some other sites (of much, much less accuracy) have been claiming that the iPhone would be able to do videoconferencing and whatnot, but currently there isn't any good evidence to support this, and in my opinion it doesn't look like current 3G GSM cellular networks simply don't have the duplex bandwidth to deliver that kind of content. (and 4G is still a ways off)

LostPacket

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Canada, eh
I hope one of these versions is CDMA. GSM would be more practical from a non-locked, carrier-agnostic perspective, but I'd find it hard to give up the EvDO.

wackattack

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
The idea of an iChat Phone is interesting. I don't know how kids are in the US but in europe they use teir phones more to send txt messages then to actually talk. But on the other hand I guess this phone would be priced too high for those kids and in europe everybody uses MSN instead of AIM so I'm not sure they would ever try to release such a device because in that case they should port iChat to Windows as well to make it a hit worldwide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.