Ichat sound quality gone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mtskier, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mtskier macrumors newbie

Suddenly and randomly with no changes at all, my ichat sound quality has downgraded completely. Everything is totally fuzzy and scratchy and not nearly as clear as before. Ive also noticed i dont pick up on the little things, like the other persons typing either. Im not sure if its hardware or software, but its incredibly frustrating and i want to fix it, but have no idea how

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

We've noticed something similar. It's like a VOX, or squelch. There's zero background noise, unless someone talks. If we increase the input level, the threshold that "breaks the squelch" goes down, and we'll hear a bit more background, but again, only when they're talking.

However, the quality is as good or better than it's ever been. Very natural sound. Just have to keep the input level high (more sensitive) so the words don't get clipped at the beginning and end of sentences. Overall, it's less tiring than having a lot of distracting noise during "quiet" periods.

All this is with "noise reduction" off. With it on, the quality is poorer.

I would like to see an option or adjustment for this. Even though I mentioned it being nice to get rid of "noise", I do miss having ambient sound from the other end. We use it for hours on end to visit with distant family, and the background sound is part of the experience for us.

I might look around and see if there's some hidden plist option. It's a good candidate for some feedback, too.

3. mtskier thread starter macrumors newbie

but why is it suddenly today? like i video chatted on friday with no problems. and now today its completely messed up

4. mtskier thread starter macrumors newbie

and my quality is definitely not better. its scratchier and less crisp than before

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I noticed it as soon as I started chatting Snow Leopard to Snow Leopard. Before that, going SL to L, it was as it always was.

6. mtskier thread starter macrumors newbie

ive been doing snow leopard to snow leopard for at least two weeks now though no problem. same person even (gf in another state). and suddenly tonight, completely different.