Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
52,057
13,667
Various tidbits:

Motorola posts further details about the MPC7457. The 7457 was previously discussed and will be introduced at 1.3GHz with 512k of L2 cache and up to 2MB of L3 cache.

An Apple iChat update is in the works and the next revision will introduce Video Conferencing capabilities. An Apple Video Conferencing application was first hinted at by Steve Jobs himself in April 2002 during a shareholder meeting. Microphone and Camera icons were subsequently found in iChat's resource files, further hinting at future functionality.

An Apple software update will be appearing on March 3rd... but details are scarce. The most likely candidate appears to be Java 1.4.1 Final which is rumored to be released on that same day, but hints at iMovie 3.0.2 have also emerged.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,574
198
well it shouldnt be too hard to get videoconfrencing into ichat, they already have quicktime broadcaster. how cool would it be to start having an optional itty bitty camera installed in the top of your studio display or any other mac for this, ah the wonders. dont think it will be that but i think apple will wow us.

iJon
 
Comment

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
2,017
2
stupid motorola nobody cares about your damn chips anymore
 
Comment

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
I personally think video ocnferencing in iChat will be cool, It especially makes sense for apple to make further intergration like this since everything is already tied with the Address Book, I can jsut imagine Now Conferencing with "user", I hope theres a way to do it with non ichat ppl too tho atleast eventually.
 
Comment

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68030
Apr 12, 2002
2,985
1,098
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by howard
stupid motorola nobody cares about your damn chips anymore

Oh so true... They are just like duct tape, holding together Apple's hardware lines until the 970 arrives. Still, why don't they leave the L2 cache at 1MB instead of dropping it to 512K?
 
Comment

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
89
0
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Oh so true... They are just like duct tape, holding together Apple's hardware lines until the 970 arrives. Still, why don't they leave the L2 cache at 1MB instead of dropping it to 512K?

The L2 cache is currently at 256K, 1 or 2 MB is the L3 cache, so 512K L2 cache is an improvement.
 
Comment

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
727
0
Montgomery, AL
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I for one am glad to see Motorola getting a little more concrete about the 7457. It's not like Apple is goint to debut the 970 in all of its machines at the same time, so we'll continue to need G4s to run the "i" series. PowerPC development, be it done by Motorola or IBM, will only benefit us in the long run. Still, we'll have to wait and see if they actually produce.
 
Comment

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
997
0
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by wsteineker
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I for one am glad to see Motorola getting a little more concrete about the 7457. It's not like Apple is goint to debut the 970 in all of its machines at the same time, so we'll continue to need G4s to run the "i" series. PowerPC development, be it done by Motorola or IBM, will only benefit us in the long run. Still, we'll have to wait and see if they actually produce.

It's probably already been suggested (a thousand times), but the 7457 specs (speed, pin compatable, 2mb L3) and the delay (no 1.42 dual G4s for four more weeks -early April) suggest that the new 1.42s are using the 7457. Is that correct?
 
Comment

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
151
0
UCLA
if/when apple does release the new version of iChat, will the videoconferencing abilities only be compatible with other users of iChat? is it possible that somehow it will be integrated with AIM? does AIM even support videoconferencing now?
 
Comment

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
660
0
Santa Barbara, CA
Originally posted by nickmcghie
if/when apple does release the new version of iChat, will the videoconferencing abilities only be compatible with other users of iChat? is it possible that somehow it will be integrated with AIM? does AIM even support videoconferencing now?

The latest AIM version for OS X doesn't have any video conferencing capabilties, and neither does the Windows version, as far as I know.

--Fred
 
Comment

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
483
1
South Australia
Where can you see those iChat icons?

I really would like voice chat in iChat, but first I need a mic port. I think excluding mic ports was one of apples dumbes things.
 
Comment

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
286
0
New Zealand
Originally posted by awulf
Where can you see those iChat icons?

I really would like voice chat in iChat, but first I need a mic port. I think excluding mic ports was one of apples dumbes things.

remeber though that most of Apple's computers already have built in microphones.
 
Comment

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
78
0
7457 rumors seem good on the outside, but scary on the inside. Good that we will at least have faster/better chips in our 'i' series macs if not 970's, scary because of the possibility the power lines will continue to use motorola for the next year or two. Oh the horror.
 
Comment

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
727
0
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by phampton81
7457 rumors seem good on the outside, but scary on the inside. Good that we will at least have faster/better chips in our 'i' series macs if not 970's, scary because of the possibility the power lines will continue to use motorola for the next year or two. Oh the horror.

It's definitely a mixed blessing, to say the least. We can only hope that the trained chimps at Motorola have finally figured out how to run a production line.
 
Comment

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2,629
2
2 Much Infinite Loops
i hope the ichat would be compatible to AIM (it is cross-plattform right?).

i hope it can not only video conference, i hope it can voice conference too.

and did i mention, i hope it is cross-plattform?
 
Comment

d46799

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2003
29
0
SFBA, CA, USA
Originally posted by iJon
how cool would it be to start having an optional itty bitty camera installed in the top of your studio display

Love it! I wonder if they could fit one at the top/middle of a powerbook screen.

On second thought, if cams were built in to computers as standard practice, the term 'spyware' might take on new meaning. 'Big Brother' comes to mind too.
 
Comment

macgroove

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2003
10
0
ichat with videoconferencing

Can someone tell me whether it is possible already to chat with MSN Members in iChat......and better yet, does anyone anticipate VC'ing with MSN/users and users of polycom video conferencing software....?:D
 
Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,055
6
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by law guy
It's probably already been suggested (a thousand times), but the 7457 specs (speed, pin compatable, 2mb L3) and the delay (no 1.42 dual G4s for four more weeks -early April) suggest that the new 1.42s are using the 7457. Is that correct?
I dont think so since they had posted mass production was going to be in 4th qtr this year. Still makes you wonder where and how apple gets 1.25 and 1.42? and apple and motorola aint talking about this as far as i know.
 
Comment

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2003
100
0
Connecticut
Originally posted by d46799
On second thought, if cams were built in to computers as standard practice, the term 'spyware' might take on new meaning. 'Big Brother' comes to mind too.

That's definitely a concern, but I think there are easy ways to control that. For instance, putting a small LED next to the lens that glows when the camera is active would be simple, and it could be handled at a level of hardware far below the reach of spyware. The spyware could turn on your camera, but not without revealing its existence in the process. There are probably other more elegant approaches too, but that's a start.

I think a built in camera would be a good idea. All the monitors have internal USB connections anyway, so there is no cable issue (unless you want a firewire camera). And judging from the most recent crop of Japanese cellphones, Apple could fit all the cameras it wants into monitor frames, even in the PowerBook.
 
Comment

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
144
0
Originally posted by ozubahn
That's definitely a concern, but I think there are easy ways to control that. For instance, putting a small LED next to the lens that glows when the camera is active would be simple, and it could be handled at a level of hardware far below the reach of spyware. The spyware could turn on your camera, but not without revealing its existence in the process. There are probably other more elegant approaches too, but that's a start.

I think a built in camera would be a good idea. All the monitors have internal USB connections anyway, so there is no cable issue (unless you want a firewire camera). And judging from the most recent crop of Japanese cellphones, Apple could fit all the cameras it wants into monitor frames, even in the PowerBook.

Interesting idea. Could this turn into a practical version of an iPhone? As a Powerbook it wouldn't be a PDA or a phone, so it wouldn't contradict Steve Jobs' emphatic denial that Apple would make a PDA.
 
Comment

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
2,729
0
Dubuque, Iowa
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I dont think so since they had posted mass production was going to be in 4th qtr this year. Still makes you wonder where and how apple gets 1.25 and 1.42? and apple and motorola aint talking about this as far as i know.

The 1.25, 1.33, and 1.42 are exclusive to Apple. They make too much heat to be used in the embedded market. Since Motorola does not plan to market these to other companies, they don't bother to list them on their website.
 
Comment

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
281
0
Originally posted by wsteineker
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I for one am glad to see Motorola getting a little more concrete about the 7457. It's not like Apple is goint to debut the 970 in all of its machines at the same time, so we'll continue to need G4s to run the "i" series. PowerPC development, be it done by Motorola or IBM, will only benefit us in the long run. Still, we'll have to wait and see if they actually produce.

Unless IBM has another PPC chip they decide to switch over to.

It certainly would be wonderful if everything did go to the 970. There may be enough range in speed at the get go to do something like that. It's doubtful though. But IBM may offer an alternative that could upgrade the G3s.

I have a feeling the G4 will be about the same cost, if not more, as the 970. Why stick that in your lower end? Yet, it would be beneficial if you could get Altivec into all your machines. IBM can make chips cheaper and more efficiently - so a complete switch over could be possible.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.