iChat with Windows users via AIM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Saladinos, May 4, 2009.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hi,

I've been having some connection issues with Skype, and would like to know if its possible to use iChat to do audio&video chats with Windows users? I know iChat supports AIM, so I assume these users would need to install AIM to make this happen.

If such a setup works, is it possible to conference with multiple users? I know iChat supports this for multiple macs, but I don't know if PCs can be included.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iChat doesn't wrk with PCs... at least, I've tried and failed in many occasions. Go with Skype, thats standard and works fine.

3. sexyfoolxx macrumors member

iChat does indeed work with AIM on windows or any other chat client that uses the AIM protocol. I've used audio/video chats with Windows users numerous times without any problems.

4. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

the windows user needs to be using client version 5.9 or lower in order to video chat with an ichat user

5. sexyfoolxx macrumors member

Where do you people come up with this stuff? I've used video with Windows users on the newest AIM client available. This has happened successfully several times, and not more than one attempt to get a solid connection. Maybe before posting we should try these things out.