Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunny1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
This is getting ridiculous, as more and more of my friends are starting to move from the world of BB to Iphone, we still do not have a platform that BB uses to integrate all its users in messaging.

Apple has iChat but why the hell have they not rolled this out in ios4?

Yes, there are purchasable products but common theres so many out there now, which hardly compares to BBM, even to this DATE still! and free.

Any way, its only a question, would be intrigued to find out on your thoughts of this

Please do forward your suggestion.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
No, I keep wondering the same thing. Why no Apple AIM-compatible iChat app on the iPhone? I use iChat for AIM all the time on my Mac! There is an AIM for iPhone, though. But it's a third party download.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
if they added everything people wanted at once they'd run out of things to announce pretty quick, this is a simple case of rationing out features

and as long as people keep buying it up then they won't be in a big hurry to add things quickly

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
if they added everything people wanted at once they'd run out of things to announce pretty quick, this is a simple case of rationing out features

and as long as people keep buying it up then they won't be in a big hurry to add things quickly

Yea... but they're slow on features that they should have had from day one... like video recording and MMS...

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
does apple not realize that if they implement something similar to BBM on the iphone, their product would literally take over the mobile market?

that would pretty much make blackberries have NOTHING over the iphone except push mail for businessmen. school girls will all get iphones instead of blackberries because they are cooler and better in every way. its the BBM that still makes blackberry relevant.

oh well, i guess they have to sell a new phone next year.

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
If Apple released it then it would be the 'Industry' standard and everyone would jump on board unlike apps like WhatsApp Messenger and Ping! Etc.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
That's pretty sad. Apple has trained to well.

Your unfounded condescension is tangible. Apple products aren't perfect, but they work much more smoothly, and this is because everything is proprietary: they make the hardware AND the software. To keep this standard, I try to use as many 1st party apps as possible. I have no loyalty to Apple, I just want my sh*t to work. There's no need for you to be judgmental.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I will look for the article, but a few days ago I read somewhere that currently Apple doesn't have any team dedicated to iChat (so basically no one is managing that feature for Macs anymore, or right now)

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Yea... but they're slow on features that they should have had from day one... like video recording and MMS...

well it is pretty obvious that they didn't need the features from day one since the iphone has been so successful.

you can't buy it and then complain about missing features and actually expect them to have any sense of urgency about it. they have your money already, they have no incentive to do it right away, they can ration it out and keep holding out that carrot.

if it really was that big a deal then the iphone wouldn't be where it is today in the market so obviously it isn't a big deal. in these cases your wallet does the talking

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Your unfounded condescension is tangible. Apple products aren't perfect, but they work much more smoothly, and this is because everything is proprietary: they make the hardware AND the software. To keep this standard, I try to use as many 1st party apps as possible. I have no loyalty to Apple, I just want my sh*t to work. There's no need for you to be judgmental.

So you assume Apple's implementation of an instant messenger would be better than everything else out there. What exactly is wrong with any other chat client? It's not like they're particularly difficult to implement. I've never had issues with Beejive.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
So you assume Apple's implementation of an instant messenger would be better than everything else out there. What exactly is wrong with any other chat client? It's not like they're particularly difficult to implement. I've never had issues with Beejive.

I prefer iChat. It's really not this big of a deal. Some people like some things, other people like other things. Chill man. I don't have to explain myself to you. I prefer iChat. BFD.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
So explain to me how this is any damn different than text messaging someone???? Really? I had a BB and to be honest thought the whole BB messenger thing was stupid . It is absolutely redundant .

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
I bet AT&T is blocking it. Really, think about it. If the Messages app merged with iChat, everyone's iPhone would be able to text for free. They already can with third-party apps, but I bet AT&T is uneasy about it being a standard implementation because the need for an unlimited texting plan would go much lower...
That's just my theory.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have a FEELING that iChat will be one of the "big" selling points for the 2011 version of the iPhone.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
I have a FEELING that iChat will be one of the "big" selling points for the 2011 version of the iPhone.

I would hope so, but people said that about iPhone 4 way back when, too. I would just like to see facetime work iPhone-to-Mac.. it'd be grat to video call my friend's Mac from my phone!

Adisah

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
I personally think they need to work out the notification system first. Otherwise, people are going to have stacks of bubbles every five minutes. The only thing people would end up doing is pressing, close close close close close close.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I would hope so, but people said that about iPhone 4 way back when, too. I would just like to see facetime work iPhone-to-Mac.. it'd be grat to video call my friend's Mac from my phone!

I think Apple needs a big selling point for the 2011 version. iChat could definitely be one. Perhaps they are waiting on more devices to have a front facing camera and AT&T to get their act together with the whole 3G bandwidth. We have the front-facing camera, now all we need is the software and AT&T to get their 3G working properly to handle it. Seems like thats targeted towards 2011, especially since Steve said Facetime will only be used on WiFi in 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.