iClip on Snow Leopard : Top Tip

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jolly Jimmy, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

If you're like me and you're having a hard time living without iClip since installing Snow Leopard, you can "hack" a working copy by replacing its .plist (~/Library/Preferences/com.inventive.iClip.plist) file with the one from an install on Leopard or Tiger.

Works like a charm!

Edit : I could always upload a copy of the working .plist file if anyone would like it.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

That would be great if you could upload a working .plist.

I got it as part of MacHeist and I was pretty disappointed because it didn't work very well under Snow Leopard.

3. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

5. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

6. jrethmann macrumors newbie

THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I just installed SL and was bummed that my iClip was not working. I was able to install it but..... Now all works great after replacing the file with the one that you provided.

-jrethmann

7. dwr57 macrumors newbie

iClip

I replaced the plist with the one provided. Change the location of the iClip pop-up. Went to change some other settings in preferences and it would allow, just like with the original plist.

8. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yes, the replacement .plist contains my personal settings, but there should be no problem changing them to your own liking once it's in place.

9. stephcys macrumors newbie

Cant make my iClip Lyrics work

Hi cant seem to make iClip Lyrics work after trying out your plist. Can you please tell me the steps?

Thanks!

10. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

hi there.

Speaking of iClip, what happened to the developer? Why was the company shut down?

11. jfBLOOM22 macrumors newbie

I can't believe they abandoned iClip!

I was willing to buy iClip again for up to $20. I even contacted the developer about Supporting Snow Leopard. I learned they would not be supporting it, so I tried every alternative clipboard recorder I could find, but they all suck and I uninstalled all of them.

If Incentive would have just updated their pref file, they could have kept selling this thing! Amazing!

Thanks for the tip. iClip is working so far!
    :D

12. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

iClip Lyrics is a completely different app. iClip is a clipboard manager.

I completely agree. I tried pretty much every alternative, but none of them compare to iclip. Then I tried the .plist thing out of desperation as I'd used a similar method on another broken app, and hey presto! I was so relieved to get it back!

13. David L. macrumors newbie

thx

thanx a lot for the hack & the upload. GREAT!!

14. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

How replace?

I downloaded the material that you uploaded but I don't know how to do the replacement. It looks like it should be simple but I need some help. I sure would like to get my iClip functioning again and can't understand why somebody else hasn't come out with something similar. Thanks.

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Extract the .zip file and copy or move (via drag & drop) the .plist file to ~/Library/Preferences/ to replace the one that is already in there or just add it.
    The "~" is short for Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / and is a shortcut for your Home Folder.

16. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

Thanks a million. That was easy and worked great. The only problem that I have now is with iClip's preferences. They won't adjust. They seem locked but I couldn't find any lock icon or any reference in the help menu to locking the preferences. The only part of preferences that worked was the box to show iClip icon in menu bar. it's great to have it back as well as it is but I would like to change it a bit. Do you know why the pref's are "locked" up? Uh-Oh! I have to take it all back. I don't think that iClip is working any better than before I did the replacement. Maybe I'm destined to have to live without iClip.

17. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Are you sure you put it in the right place? In the finder, select "Go" in the menu bar and then "Go to Folder..." and type or paste "~/Library/Preferences/" (without the quotes) and press go. This is where you should put the .plist file.

18. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

Thanks, Jimmy. Alas, I still can't get my iClip to work. I'm sure that I got that plist in the right place. When I moved it into pref's folder I got that box that says there is a newer one already there and do I want to replace it. I clicked "replace". When I opened iClip the pref's, except for the box to put the iClip icon in the menu bar, were still frozen. In iClip when I open the edit name box neither the OK or cancel button will work and I can't get rid of the box or quit iClip. The only way I can get rid of that box is to restart my computer.
    I'm using a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ OS 10.6.4. I can't figure out why I am having such failure when everybody else seems to have had success. I do greatly appreciate all your help. I'll be watching this thread for more ideas.

19. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I really don't know what the problem could be. I literally just did it on a system a few days ago and it worked perfectly. Try making sure iClip is closed (check the activity monitor to be extra sure), replace the plist and the reopen iClip.

20. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

iClip Hack

Wow! I don't know what I was doing wrong all this time or what I did right to get it to work but I do think that it's working perfectly now. I just kept doing it slightly different each time, sometimes removing the "old" plist before I drug over the "new" and sometimes just dragging the "new" and clicking "replace" when that came up and then opening iClip to see if it would work. I was just about to give up when it worked but I figured that if it was working for the rest of you with SL then it should work for me. Many thanks to you folks. A couple of you should buy iClipp for a couple of hundred bucks and put it back on the market! If you don't hear from me on this thread again you'll know that it's either working or I'm someplace else where things like iClip are irrelevant.;)

21. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

iClip Hack

Uh-Oh! I'm back. Right after I install the plist, iClip seems to work perfectly. Pref's work, can add new clipping collections and name them, can rename bins, etc. But after iClip "sits" unused for an hour or so, all of this freezes up again and the only way to quit iC is to restart. Very strange. If it wasn't such a useful program I'd just junk it. The "info" that comes with the replacement plist says Date Modified is NOV 1, 2009 at 1245 AM. Any more ideas? :mad:

22. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I dunno. Maybe try this one.

Attached Files:

23. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

Rats! No luck. Same problem. Maybe it's my iClip app that got messed up somehow. I'm using v. 4 that opens using Rosetta. I'll keep it and hope that someday intuitive.us comes back to life again and so does iClip.

24. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

That'll be the problem. My version 4 is intel.

25. jonsanmr macrumors newbie

iClip Hack

My iMac has the Intel chip also. Could you email me a copy of your iClip app? Or give me an idea where/how I can get one? Can that be done? I think the iClip data is in a separate file or folder so I could just "install" the iClip app and be a happy camper once again. My email is jonsan@mac.com. Thanks.