Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your comfort level with enabling icloud for your idevice

• Comfortable

Votes: 138 64.2%
  • Wary

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • No way

Votes: 19 8.8%

• Total voters

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Eh I don't have too much worth stealing on my computer. Even so I delete all credit card data and browser data daily and with the advent of iCloud I imagine I will just continue to do this and most likely opt NOT to put anything in iCloud that is to too personal.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I'm not worried Apple having my details. I'm worried about hackers and fraudsters having my details.

I think most are over looking the most serious concern here, what the main concern should be focused on is the fact that your entire phone and all of its contents are backed up to iCloud. The main concern with that is that a government agency if so desired could obtain any and all information and records of exactly where you have been at any given time via the GPS positioning log and just about anything else that you may assume is safe and consider private such as pretty much anything you do, who you speak with and associate with etc, etc.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
forget piracy ... hacks will figure out how to steal massive amounts of music and movies stored in the cloud

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
The thing that worries me most about a "cloud" service is losing all of my data without a backup. Assume I have 200 gigs of movies that I move to a cloud service and swap to a smaller SSD im my MBP. Now all of these movies are under someone else's control. If there is some kind of freak solar flare (have read some crazy things about 2012, but not saying I believe it) then all of my movies are gone. Now lets say I have not only movies, but 10 years of emails, pictures from my daughters first 3 years, videos of my family ect. on this said cloud without a backup (extremly irresponsible) and now all of my precious data is lost. Im not really sold on these cloud services (i feel like an old man).

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The cloud right now is more marketing ... actually Apple add in the iCloud context nice functions like redownload of music which is not really cloud-related but very good to get.

My down data will be stored encrypted in the cloud. The NSA will be able to read those files but not a regular bugler. I think there is not more risk added compared to what we have today with email and other data services.

Do my main backup needs are covered with the redownoad based on purchase history; other files goes still on several disk also in my home in addition to the cloud.

My only problem is: where can I safely store my GB of raw files from photography. Yet unsolved. Hoped for iCloud but 5 GB is not enough.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
The cloud right now is more marketing ... actually Apple add in the iCloud context nice functions like redownload of music which is not really cloud-related but very good to get.

My down data will be stored encrypted in the cloud. The NSA will be able to read those files but not a regular bugler. I think there is not more risk added compared to what we have today with email and other data services.

Do my main backup needs are covered with the redownoad based on purchase history; other files goes still on several disk also in my home in addition to the cloud.

My only problem is: where can I safely store my GB of raw files from photography. Yet unsolved. Hoped for iCloud but 5 GB is not enough.

If the thief has your password the encryption doesn't make a difference.

My point is this is a new risk which didn't exist before. Previously even if they stole or got you password they couldn't get any data as it was still on your pc. Now things are a bit different.

Again I know it's optional etc etc just trying o hear people's opinions on how omfortale they feel about it.

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan

you can buy more. on the ios5 beta you can see how much space you have used and there is a button or link for you to buy more if you choose to.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm ok with iCloud but I think that ALL of its features should be able to be toggled by the USER. As it stands right now that is not the case, and I'm not ok with that.

As for storing info on the cloud, I don't keep anything too personal on there. Someone hacks it they might find pics or music but none of it is world ending.

As for credit card data... well iTunes stores your data right now. iTunes has been hacked more than once. Your bank will always be obligated to refund fraudulent purchases made on your card. In most cases the bank will alert you before you even know anything happened. If your bank or credit card company isn't doing this than you need to switch banks. There are way too many people out there looking to steal your info. Just last week my bank called me about a weird charge on my account (originated in Spain, I live in Pennsylvania) and all I had to do was fill out a VERY small form. I had my money back the next day and they sent me out a new card in a hurry.

So your vulnerability in the cloud is up to you. I have always enjoyed cloud services but I just don't put stuff on there that could lead to my demise.

Photobucket is essentially a cloud service.... so many people put pictures on there back in the day without realizing the album was set to "public" and now there are tons of awesome pictures from everyones spring break antics floating around on the web.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Well, it would be a digital place in which you would be storing not only your sensitive data but also all different kind of media (pics, videos..). It is up to you whether to trust that or not. Remember what happened with the Playstation3 Network, got hacked and 78 million accounts with CCs compromised. Imagine if that happened to all the stored of every user. Personally, if I were to use it, it would just be to keep my music in sync and organized, nothing else. I'll keep using DropBox, as I'm already used to it and there's a nifty little app for it in Mac OS X and works just as good.

I will already say though that I doubt politicians will like this idea :rolleyes:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I will already say though that I doubt politicians will like this idea :rolleyes:

They will have something to say about it.

Then the users will say "it's my choice!"

Then something bad will happen and everyone will say "why isn't the government doing anything to protect us?!"

And the vicious cycle will continue.

nycbhh

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I would be somewhat okay with it if, like previously suggested, I could control what was backed up.

But really, we are in the age where most people are completely comfortable putting most of their personal information out there on facebook, so I bet the general public won't even think twice about it.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
iCloud is just that. Another cloud service that has all the same pros & cons that every other cloud has, save for the marketing spin each company applies. While there is a difference in implementation, it's the typical lack of choice one accepts when choosing Apple that is of the greatest concern.

I have a multi level approach to protect my data, that I've had in place for sometime now. Therefore I'm well protected since it involves a redundant in-house server grade system not connected to the net.

The only problem I have with iCloud is lack of ability to opt out. Therefore it forces those of us who prefer not to use it, to either continue to use an old version of OS X that isn't connected to iCloud or stop using Apple computers and devices entirely.

This last choice is one that will not impact Apple, since their core user base is comprised of people who have little or no technical expertise anyway. Therefore they will accept anything that Apple says as acceptable. That group being the majority will insure sufficient revenue for Apple.

Since it's Apples way or switch to another platform, I suspect the switchers that migrated to Apple in recent years will simply switch back to Windows and be pleasantly satisfied. The current version of Win7 is an excellent OS.

peejay3

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Eh I don't have too much worth stealing on my computer. Even so I delete all credit card data and browser data daily and with the advent of iCloud I imagine I will just continue to do this and most likely opt NOT to put anything in iCloud that is to too personal.
OK, cool. Exactly how do you delete all credit card data and browser data?:)

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I avoided Google's syncing that many people used on their iphone for the past few years. I'm very happy and eager to get a @me.com email and cloud syncing from Apple. I'll be making it my most used email account soon, followed by gmail. My ISP doesn't have push email support and I'm moving again soon and I'm tired of changing emails.

As far as security goes I have already put the locks down on my identity.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm not really concerned with iCloud security since the hacker would have to guess my Apple ID and my password to get in. That being said, I don't plan to use it anyways. For personal use, I don't like my pictures being accessible on the web (unless a few photos on FB .. not really personal use I would say); that's just me. I'll keep them on my HDD, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.