iCloud and iOS 5 = Big iPhone Sales

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NebulaClash, Jun 7, 2011.

1. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

What Apple just announced with iCloud and iOS 5 is going to lead to a great increase in iPhone sales. Here's why I think this:

1. People who want a phone without syncing to a PC can now get an iPhone that is super easy to use and does not need a PC to work. iCloud will take care of things in the background, and it will just work. More people own phones than own PCs, and now this group will be encouraged to check out the iPhone without the hassle of syncing issues. They will see iOS 5 ads on TV and think, hey, I can do that!

2. Ever notice which consumer groups use Blackberrys the most? Right, teen girls. Why? BBM is free. No parent wants to pay for texting rates on standard plans, so they all get Blackberrys instead. But teens love Apple gear, and you know those teens would love to get an iPhone instead so they could have their music and apps on the device, but oh those texting charges! Well, with iMessage that problem is solved. Text as much as you want for free. Oh, it has to be iOS 5 to iOS 5 devices? Teens will pressure their friends to get an iPhone too so they can text for free. BBM has 40M users worldwide. Pretty soon 200M iOS devices will have the ability to text for free. This is a huge market that currently is underserved by Apple. No longer.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Android already has this.

I've not noticed a high volume of teen girls but rather business men and woman. In fact BB is noted for being largely embraced by enterprise.

3. NebulaClash thread starter macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Doesn't matter if Android has it, it's Apple that has the public's eye and it's Apple that is about to benefit from this new feature. And if you haven't seen teen girls using Blackberrys, you haven't been looking. They're everywhere.

I was at a Best Buy talking to the Verizon sales rep about phones, and when we talked about the Blackberry he agreed that the biggest consumer use is teens. For the free messaging.

4. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Uh, no.

5. maflynn, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Android also has a larger marketshare so while apple may be the media darling, there's more android phones. So expecting huge iPhone 5 phones because it now does what many other phones having been doing is a mistaken notion.

As for looking at teenage girls, at my age, I would be considered a dirty old man if I start looking at teenage girls. Anyways my point is that the enterprise is BB's bread and butter not little girls.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Since when do teens care about free messaging? They don't pay their bill. The largest user of blackberries is corporate America and without that support RIM would be in trouble.

7. dubnde macrumors regular

I have four friends who wanted to buy iPhone but got Android phones because of poor notification and lack of wireless sync and OTA updates. I heard two of them today trying to find out how to sell their phones before the autumn to jump back to iOS.

The point being people wanted iPhones and only went to other OS'es as second option. So iOS will definitely gain from this.

8. NebulaClash thread starter macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

1. RIM is in trouble because corporate America is starting to move to iPhones, starting with the big banks.

2. Parents of teens care a LOT about free messaging, and they are the ones who will now buy iPhones for their teens.

I realize this place is becoming Android Central, so believe that Android sales are being driven by mass consumer demand if that makes you feel better. I say just watch iPhone sales this fall and winter.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

How is iMessage any different to beejive or similar IM clients?

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, it cities like DC everyone uses a BB.

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Why would that matter? Most blackberry users are teens remember.

Unlimited texting for a family plan is $30. Free messaging isn't going to sway someone to all of a sudden decide to drop $200-300 on a phone. Also most teens these days already have an iPhone if they have Verizon or AT&T because it's the "cool" phone to have.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

LOL too funny :p

While RIM has their work cut out for them. I would not say they are in trouble. Have you looked at RIMs financial reports. They're making money.

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

I think the point is a lot of non-corporate sales of BB kit is due to the BBM feature .... i know on my facebook and twitter feeds i see a lot of BBM Pin##s whizzing around .... however this is mostly incorporated into a message like "Goddamn BBM lost all my contacts AGAIN ... re-add me xxxx"

So it seems BBM isn't that stable either.... IF Apple can do the whole 'It Just Works' thing with iCloud then i think they'll increase users

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If Apple and Blackberry were smart they'd make a deal allowing each other's devices to communicate with their respective messenger services, leaving Android and MS in the lurch.

15. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

I think the biggest thing about iOS5 is that with the new features it will keep a lot of iphone users from jumping ship to Android. I have been using a DroidX the past couple of years mainly for a few features iOS was lacking and will make the jump back to iOS with iphone5. Android to me is a rough, laggy OS and prefer the polish of iOS.

16. Smtevo macrumors 6502

no thanks

17. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

Why?

Why not? that would have no drawbacks as far as I know..I don't get it :confused:

18. NebulaClash thread starter macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

This is one of the points I think should be highlighted. As more features enter iPhones, there becomes less of a reason to pick any other phone.

19. Jcoz macrumors 6502

While I will not make any definitive statements, its not an entirely invalid argument.

RIM, I do believe, is in trouble.

I think there is a trend of companies offering more choices or just a stipend for company phones. And truly unless your biggest hangup is a physical keyboard, its hard to see any other rational reason to believe that a BB is better choice for assisting you with getting your job done.

My company issues BB but our contract ends in September, and they will be moving on from Sprint/Nextel. The choices are basically Verizon or Stipend, and they will be offering choices either way.

I have a BB and like my boss, we use our personal iphones 2x as much as our BB. Our BB's are inferior in every way imaginable. Search, Internet, Email (due to speed and email attachment viewing and editing)....there is quite literally nothing about the BB we are issued that comes close to the iPhone.

I really dont know if more up to date BB's can better match the iphone in the workplace.

Bottom line is that if more companies are offering more choices, and the BB fails to stand up to Android or iPhone in just about every way, I can't simply look at an earnings sheet and assume that money will continue to roll in for them.

20. sotorious macrumors 6502a

My opinion is someone can only stare at the same OS for so long before trying another.

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The blackberry is the phone of choice for teenage girls. Everybody knows that.

22. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Didnt mean to thread jack above, but I agree, even if iOS 5 was about catching up in features others had in some cases, that was taking away several of the reasons to chose Android over iOS, and you still get all the benifits of Apple's eco system.

For many people that were on the fence or jumped ship some time ago, this is a nice little push towards iOS.

Also, how about this one: Jumping ship from Android doesn't, to me at least, have nearly the financial implications leaving iOS typically does.

Now, that cuts both ways talking about not wanting apple to get their hooks into you, but for potential switchers, its people apple is probably going to get, or get back, and be less likely to lose or lose again, IMO.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

People will always want choices. And choices are a good thing as it keeps companies competitive. Some will choose Android because they are on service providers that the iPhone isn't on. Or because they like the UI better. Or because they like certain apps or WHATEVER the reason. Just like people will always choose the iPhone because of what it offers.

There's always going to be a reason to pick another phone. It's call personal preference.

24. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Thread starter is on Kool Aid for sure. Blackberry is for enterprise, iPhone is for teen girls. You must have mixed them up.

25. NebulaClash thread starter macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

First you insult me, then you misread me. Nice start.

I said Blackberry is for enterprise, just not as much as it used to be now that the big banks are moving ahead from their iPhone pilot programs to full-blown acceptance. The high-water mark for Blackberry in the enterprise is over, and it's downhill from here.

As for the iPhone being for teen girls, it's precisely the opposite. It's what they want, and they might love iPod touches, or maybe their parent can get them an unlimited texting plan, but Blackberrys are very, very popular among teens and it's because of BBM. This is not simply an observation I've made, I've talked to industry folks who said the same, and I've read articles that describe the phenomenon.

This isn't Kool Aid, it's the real world. RIM is in trouble.