Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your favorite cloud service?

• iCloud Drive

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Google Drive

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • OneDrive

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Dropbox

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abn0rma1

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
OneDrive for me, the Office Web Apps are actually pretty on point and have saved me a time or two. Google Productivity Apps, not so much and iCloud is still in Beta.

JoeLr

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
It used to be Dropbox for me, but ever since getting my iPhone 6, .rtf documents can't be displayed on the iOS Dropbox app. I had a couple .rtf text files set as Favorites as I liked having easy accessibility. I've now created Pages documents & access them via iCloud Drive & Pages on my iPhone. As soon as Apple (hopefully) increases functionality so we can maybe simply view folders, and open various document formats from a folder view, I'll migrate everything away from Dropbox. I also want my iPhone photos in iCloud drive, but sounds like we get that w/ iOS 8.1

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I ran ownCloud for a while on a DreamHost account, worked well enough - are you using it with your 16TB FreeNAS?

Yes, running ownCloud 6.0.3 on FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 (both a little out of date, but they are running perfectly) so have access to almost 12tb of redundant cloud storage :D

Of the 4 services listed in the poll, I'd say Dropbox was the best as it's the most mature and widely used across applications and environments. I still use it for syncing some application data, although some of that has migrated to iCloud. I also use OneDrive for Office 365 documents, although it's embedded in my ownCloud folders as their isn't an OneDrive Business client for OS X yet. Never really used Google Drive as I don't use many google services. If ownCloud as a little better supported within applications, I ditch them all and just use that.

Last edited:

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
I have been using Goggle Drive, One Drive, and Dropbox. One Drive and Dropbox have worked flawless on both my Mac and 5C.
As for Google Drive, I was a long time user until I got my Mac. I cannot figure out why my photos when I sync from iTunes to my 5C.
If I open the Google Drive app on my 5C, and click upload, the app for some reason does not recognize the photos on my phone, it only yields a blank screen.
Dropbox is nice also, but storage is lacking.If your invites don't sign up than you have to pay for more storage, which I don't mind if the rates were more more competitive.
Also with Dropbox, eventually I would like to see a thumbnail view of your photos within your folders. My eyes also are not the greatest.
I am not at that point where I need 1 TB of storage, so, in my case. $99 annually would be throwing away money.
Eventually, I am going to invest in an external hard drive.
I'll back up everything to that, and stick to One Drive as a secondary back up. You cannot beat the 30 plus gigs of storage I have with One Drive.:)

Last edited:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
OneDrive here. I use it for Media & File sharing only. Important and private data is stored and backed up locally. Currently you get 30GB OneDrive for free.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Dropbox.

I would never trust iCloud since the way it works is so damn unpredictable, not giving it a 5th chance.
Google drive is great but the desktop app doesn't have a quick way to generate and copy links like Dropbox does. I love the way you can just put JPEGs in a folder in Dropbox, right click the folder and you can get a link to a photo gallery and send that link to anyone. It's probably the easiest way to show people thousands of photos.

I do wish Dropbox offered more storage though! 3 GB is not enough, others are offering 5 GB for free.

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
About a month ago I abandoned DropBox and PhotoStream and went all in with OneDrive and it's 40gigs of free storage. I moved my whole 15gig photos folder to OneDrive. Turn on iOS background photo sync in OneDrive and you're all set.

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
About a month ago I abandoned DropBox and PhotoStream and went all in with OneDrive and it's 40gigs of free storage. I moved my whole 15gig photos folder to OneDrive. Turn on iOS background photo sync in OneDrive and you're all set.

Where can this background photo sync be found? Thanks

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've been a huge user of OneDrive for months, but I'm having issues lately.

Maybe it's the Office for iOS apps and not OD, but I keep having files vanish and randomly reappearing and one time a document I was working with just disappeared and I went to OneDrive's website and it was gone there too!! It just reappeared on my iPhone and said "corrupt" but then opened.

Now that office works with Dropbox I may switch back and see if these issues persist.

checkler

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
I've used all the options a little and onedrive is by far the best. I've been using onedrive and syncing 2 computers (one VMware w/win7) plus multiple iOS devices with no problems for the last 6 months. The IOS app UI could use some touch up, mainly the icon sizing, but overall it's the best for syncing for sure.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I've settled on Dropbox as primary and Box as secondary cloud services, I'll only entertain services with 2-step verification now.

I then use Safemonk for encryption on Dropbox, Boxcryptor for encryption on Box (neither for all files, just for specific folders within the clouds)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I post this in another thread and feel it's relevant here. It's some observations of Dropbox vs OneDrive.

In February I purchased the Office University $79.99 for 4 year subscription and have unlimited OneDrive storage. I switched from Dropbox to OneDrive to utilize Office for iPad. It's been fine until recently I've had issues with the Office apps not recognizing files and one file actually vanished from OneDrive all together only to reappear on my iPhone later. I don't like inconsistency and some apps I've been exploring only sync with Dropbox so I dusted off and installed my old account. Here are some positives and negatives.

• In terms of pure OS integration Dropbox far exceeds OneDrive. The OneDrive sidebar icon in the Finder is a generic folder whereas Dropbox uses it's logo which is nicer at a glance.
  • Dropbox uses Finder icons to show which files are synced and which are synching. To be fair, Apple didn't really allow this until Yosemite so OneDrive didn't have this being sold through the Mac App Store.
  • Lack of support. Microsoft simply doesn't prioritize it's Mac users. There hasn't been one update for Yosemite to allow Finder icon symbols or even to address the disappearing menu bar icon in Yosemite's dark mode!
  • OneDrive doesn't sync files with non-windows compatible name characters such as "/ * &". This can be annoying for someone used to a Mac's file system.
  • OneDrive doesn't sync metadata like tags. I restored my computer and loaded my files from OneDrive and lost all my tags. :/
  • On average it uses slightly more CPU resources than Dropbox. Where Dropbox would drop to 0.0% usage when idle, OneDrive would sit at 0.6% and when synching OneDrive would use 1%-2% more CPU.

All that being said, there are some pros.

• OneDrive (good or bad) isn't as integrated so it isn't as intrusive as Dropbox. Dropbox install a Finder toolbar icon that can't be permanently removed in mavericks and requires a trick in Yosemite. That is unacceptable.
  • OneDrive doesn't force a control-click (right click) menu item like Dropbox's "Move to Dropbox." This is annoying because it's right next to the move to trash option.
  • And I must say, although lately I'm having random issues, OneDrive has been solid. I have yet to loose a file or have any corruption.

Now that Office for iPad works with Dropbox I've considered switching back for the better service and third party support, but I have unlimited OneDrive space and only 8GB of Dropbox and I can only get more by referrals which is hard if you really don't know THAT many people. I could use OneDrive for my video and Picture backup (13GB) and just use Dropbox for my school files and apps, but I'd much rather just use iCloud and OneDrive versus iCloud, Dropbox, and OneDrive.

I don't know what I'll do.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Wuala – no longer recommended, but I did purchase a subscription today

What cloud service do you like most?

I prefer Wuala above all others, but I no longer recommend it.

For the first time today I paid – around £7 for 10 GB (doubled from 5) for one year – because of the LaCie shift to a paid-only service. From the notice of termination of free storage and storage promotion:

… After December 31, 2014, you will not have access to your data and we will start to permanently delete data in free storage accounts. …

Broadly coincidental, with some complaints about Apple and/or iCloud in the four pages of commentary:

PDF Reader 'GoodReader' Removes iCloud Drive Functions to Comply with 'Mandatory' Apple Policy

From a NAS-oriented topic:

I did all that looking into a NAS system and in the end went for Tresorit.

If you go for Tresorit, the length and complexity of your password increases the strength of the encryption.

All these are encrypted, have mac, windows, iOs and android apps.

https://tresorit.com

http://www.wuala.com

https://www.free-hidrive.com

As another Brit, you might be glad of the fact that Tresorit and Hidrive are fully European companies and understand what privacy means, whereas Lacie / Wuala is owned by Seagate.

Slarti

My reasons for no longer recommending Wuala revolve around various changes that have occurred over the years, some of which removed functionality that was essential to my use of the service.

(I don't object to the ~£7 for annual maintenance of existing content.)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Dropbox FTW...

I wonder if this would imply that more users will switch to iCloud drive now its part of Yosemite once users upgraded.?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
100% agree on everything above. I **want** to buy into iCloud... but for me, it doesn't even come close to OneDrive.

You've taken the words right out of my mouth, after suffering through MobileMe and iCloud, I finally got smart and bailed out of Apple's Cloud failures.

With a combo of my Mac Pro NAS equipped home network and spreading my files across a few Cloud services, I'm in great shape. :)

ianm2k4

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
OneDrive all the way. Beats the pants of all the others..

Simply good value for the money. 1TB for £80 per year with a 5 licence Office suite, compared to £180 per year from Apple with nothing extra (and don't compare Office to Pages et al).

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Milking customers, Seagate controlling interests and why I no longer recommend Wuala

Is it really not possible to make external storage for iOS without using a complementary proprietary app?

… Not until apple changes something.

If open source can be classed as nonproprietary in that context, then I guess that it should be possible to take an open source approach to a network file system client for iOS.

First amongst Google search results for "iOS" +AFP|NFS|SMB: FileExplorer Free

– not open source, but that's an example of an SMB/CIFS client (and more) for iOS.

Gotta milk those customers for big $$$ storage upgrades. Customer needs be damned.

On the subject of milking:

… My reasons for no longer recommending Wuala revolve around various changes that have occurred over the years, some of which removed functionality that was essential to my use of the service. …

2009-03: Wuala Blog - Exciting news: Wuala merges with LaCie

2009-08: Wuala Blog - Developer Zone: Trading Storage - What's New

2011-10: LaCie: Wuala ceases to trade storage, loses essence - fuzzy (cached by Diigo)

2012-08: Seagate and LaCie Announce Completion of the Acquisition of a Controlling Interest in LaCie | Seagate

2013-01: Wuala Blog - Wuala Hybrid Cloud - Now Available!

… Best of all, it’s the same friendly Wuala interface that you know and love! …

2013-10: Wuala Forum • View topic - Wuala web no longer displays web-friendly content (cached by Diigo) – the forum in its entirety was removed :( (I don't know when) and I have no record of a reply. Whilst my 2013 enquiry about the regression was suitably polite, I can now say …

WTF?

What happened to the interface that I knew and loved? Seagate (controlling interest) can **** right off with any hope from them of me further investing in such services.

----

And that's why I prefer occasional tinkering with FreeNAS :cool: to the convenience of out-of-the-box functionality from a brand that lost my confidence :mad:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.