iCloud Drive

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by luckydcxx, Aug 6, 2014.

1. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Has anyone actually got this to work on their Mac and iPhone/iPad?

I dropped photos, movies, pdf files and music in the "iCloud Drive" folder on my mac and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it on any of my devices.

It appears that it is in iCloud because it is showing available space as lower. I have iCloud drive turned on.

Dropbox has a standalone app that you can view and open and all of your files with, i think iCloud Drive needs this.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Apps that support this documents will be able to open them when they're updated for iOS 8. That's my understanding of it...

3. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

Apps have to be updated to show the iCloud drive contents, currently they will still only show the contents of their per App container.

4. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

thanks that makes sense but Apple Apps like "iBooks" and "videos" don't show anything there. Is it possible that they haven't been updated yet even though we are in beta 5? Doesn't seem right.

Have either of you managed to get this working?

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

I don't think iBooks will support it, nor will Videos. These use traditional syncing methods. However, apps like Readdle Documents should support it, as that's really what's it's for.

6. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

On the apple web site it shows a standalone app for both iPad and iPhone.

7. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

hmmm thats interesting, it is no where to be found in any of the betas yet. You could think they need people to test it and it should have shown up by now.

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It looks like it, but it isn't. That page is pulled up from inside of supporting apps. Maybe next year it will become a dedicated app like Dropbox or OneDrive.

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Are you sure? I don't see an app icon. What you are seeing on the website is an open file dialog box.

10. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

If so then why would it show all the documents from various apps? may be it's just an illustration but I guess we probably have to wait till they release it to the public.

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You would have thought that dropping a Photo in iCloud drive on your mac would show that picture in your photos App.

At the moment its a complete waste of time.

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Because you can open up compatible files, even if they originated in another app. Like you can an start a word document in Pages, save it to iCloud, launch Good Notes, open the document, and make mark ups. Where as now, you have to go to Pages, export it to another app or email it to yourself, and import to Good Notes. And it will save to a single document, where as now there would exist 2 copies of it.

13. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Make sense but I am not entirely sure about that.

14. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

I too thought there would be a dedicated app otherwise iCloud is still a hidden service that you can't see everything in there at once. I'll continue to use a different service which acts more like a file system with folders, has web access, mobile access, ect. I don't want to hunt through a plethora of apps to see everything and manage my storage. Especially not at the prices Apple charges for cloud storage.

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

I think the word you're looking for is 'beta'.

16. Planey28 macrumors 6502

It's not hidden though.. apps that work with files and need access to a file system will show you iCloud Drive/a third party document provider through an extension. There are no longer copies of files being made as multiple apps can access the same file.

17. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

I mean there's not one app to see a comprehensive view of everything I have stored, and be able to manage everything being stored. I have to go from app to app to see what is all being stored.

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

You can do that on your Mac.

The iOS method is different and you need to stop thinking about files and folders. You'll only be able to see documents you can open in that app. Why would you want to see mp3 files when opening Photoshop?

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What are they testing? You can't do anything with it.

20. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

Thats what I'm also wondering. If Apple want us to test it, there is nothing to test it against with. We can drop files from OS X easily and thats it.

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's probably for developers to test beta versions of their apps on it. Which you can be sure they're doing.

22. wav macrumors member

Am I missing something here? Because, when I save a Pages document into the iCloud Drive folder on my Mac, I can't open it with Pages on my iPhone.

23. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Are you using the beta version of Pages? Once you start using iCloud Drive you must be using the latest apps to open documents in the cloud I believe.

24. wav macrumors member

Yes, updated to the beta a while ago. Didn't think much of it as I thought Apple must still be working on iCloud Drive.

25. EmilyB613 macrumors member

EmilyB613

Well then. I guess I can't use Pages/Numbers/Keynote until September. Because, you know, not a developer. Yosemite didn't even give me an option to opt out of iCloud Drive that I can remember. *sigh*

I'll just suck it up and use OneDrive/Microsoft Word.