iCloud | Family Set Up | Actual Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKennett, Jun 8, 2011.

1. iKennett macrumors 6502

Hi All,

Finally had the OHs iPhone replaced at our Apple store today so it is now running iOS5... which has allowed me to test multiple accounts!

Our Set Up:

- My iPhone 4
    - OH iPhone 4
    - Our iPad (but i use it most of the time)
    - My Mac
    - OH Mac

I've managed to get everything(ish) working and i'll obviously make some assumptions here regarding Mac syncing.

This is how i've set things up:

My iPhone 4
    - Logged in to the family iTunes Store Account via 'Store'
    - Logged in to the family iTunes Store Account for home sharing under music/video
    - Logged in to the family iTunes Store account on the 'iCloud' setting. This allowed me to create (one time only it seems) @me.com account for use with iCloud's email etc. This @me.com account gets linked with my Store account which is @gmail.com

OH iPhone 4
    - Logged in to the family iTunes Store Account via 'Store'
    - Logged in to the family iTunes Store Account for home sharing under music/video
    - Created a new iCloud account for the OH and logged into this with.

Our iPad
    - Same set up as my iPhone with all alerts turns off. I use is most of the time other wise I would have used the OH's account.

This means we can now have our own separate photo stream and 5GB of backup EACH. On the downside I can't use 'Find My iPhone' from my account to find the OH's iPhone. You can add an additional iCloud account but only the main one allows you to use find my iphone.

The great thing about this set up is it keeps the items you have downloaded from the iTunes Store on all devices but keeps your back-up and other personal stuff (including contacts) separate.

FaceTime will log in with your iCloud @me.com account.

When both Mac's go Lion this also allows use to sync bookmarks between devices separate etc.

Perfect :)

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

3. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

Other Half... the wife lol

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol... I have heard of better half but never other half :)

5. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sounds like you can have iTunes and iCloud accounts that are different, that'll be great for those of us who have a MobileMe account and a differing iTunes account.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

You said you logged into the iTunes account settings via Store and selected iCloud. I assume you mean the Store setting under General in the Settings.app? So initially I can set it up to sync with iTunes wirelessly and then go back and change it to iCloud or am I stuck with the initial choice I make?

8. taknightta macrumors newbie

Co-existing mobileme and icloud calendar and contacts?

Can you have one device, say OH's phone syncing calendars and contacts with mobileme, and yours using both icloud and mobileme?

In otherwords, if I upgrade my phone, but not my OH's, can we still keep our calendars and contacts in sync? We both just use the same mobileme login and account currently.

Or will I lose that ability?

9. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

Store settings in the setting.app under the 'store' option.

Not 100% sure on the question but the iPhone will sync will iTunes from restore before you even put in iCloud details.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

So I use gmail for iTunes, and mobileMe for contacts/cal/bookmarks. I also have an exchange gmail account set up.

when I try to use my mm name for cloud setup, it says "acct not migrated yet." I don't want to give it up because its first.lastname.

Any ideas on how I should setup/proceed?

11. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

Migration process is in the release notes on dev area.

EDIT: release notes shows you how to copy data over but doesn't mention an actual migration sorry.

12. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I have a feeling my mm name will just not get used anymore, stinks. Oh well.

13. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No joke. Why assume everyone knows something as obscure as that?

14. flatfoot99 Guest

email from apple....

Hopefully they will get this sorted out.

15. hgradeca macrumors newbie

I REALLY hope so...
    Or it would be great to just transfer all purchases to the new account...
    Hope they will sort everything out eventually...

16. CosmoPilot, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Find my iPhone is universal. In other words, you should be able to use any strangers iPhone and log in separately with your ID and password. This is the benefit of Find my iPhone.

In other words, if someone stole your iPhone, you should be able to use anyones iPhone and log into the "Find my iPhone" app and locate it.

As long as you know your OHs ID and password you should be able to tell the app to find it. Seams the only difference is now all the phones on the main account account aren't listed under your specific ID.

Can you confirm this?

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Def need to figure out how to do stuff sep in Icloud right now me and the gf just sync to sep contact lists in the address book. Is there a way for her to have sep contacts email etc but share all the store purchases?

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Incredible. Thanks, OP, for this post. I assume your family account can also be used separately for the App Store, correct? This is exactly what I was most concerned about with iCloud. Sounds like I will still be able to let my family members share my apps via my Apple ID, but we can all separately sync our respective personal stuff like contacts/calendars/mail/docs with our own iCloud accounts.

19. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats correct... also works with App Store. It works well actually.

20. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL!!

It is very common on two family forums I use..

21. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

Even just using OH as a general abbreviation to distinguish between two users should be enough tbh. I didn't read it as 'Other Half' I just presumed it was the initials of the other person.

22. hgradeca, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

hgradeca macrumors newbie

23. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Another scenario. Me, my wife and my brother share the same apple Id. Each one owns an iPhone and an iPad 2. So in total we have 3 iPhones and 3 iPads. I understand that we can all have separate me.com Accounts to have different contacts etc. But what happens with apple store? Can we have one master account with 3 sub accounts so we can manage our apps separately?

24. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

You can turn off the setting that automatically downloads Music, Apps and Books to each device when bought on the other. You would use the same Apple ID for the store but then your @me.com for iCloud which also gives you your own 5GB.

25. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Do you know if you can share your photos in iCloud outside of the user ID? In other words, will there still be a service to upload photos for others to view? I've never been a mobile me customer, but I know a friend who is, and he utilizes that service.

I'd like to be able to use Photo Stream between accounts, but looks like that might not be possible.