Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released iCloud for Windows 5 with support for iCloud Photo Library and two-factor authentication for Apple ID accounts. Windows users were previously limited to accessing iCloud Photo Library through the web interface.

windows-icloud-hero-pc-iphone-800x426.jpg

Apple recommends that iCloud for Windows users have Windows 7, 8 or 10 installed. For email, the software currently supports Outlook 2007 through Outlook 2013, while Outlook 2016 users can access iCloud Mail, Contacts, and Calendars on iCloud.com.
Use iCloud Photo Library on your Windows PC to download all of the photos and videos from your Apple devices to your computer, or upload your Windows Pictures library to iCloud. And when you turn on iCloud Photo Sharing, you can share your captured memories with just the people you choose.
Apple has published a support document for setting up and using iCloud Photo Library on Windows.

Article Link: iCloud for Windows 5 Adds iCloud Photo Library and Two-Factor Authentication

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Is it just me that wishes that Apple would fix things for us mac users before trying to woo windows users. It does not seem that important compared to the fact that iCould sucks.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Is it just me that wishes that Apple would fix things for us mac users before trying to woo windows users. It does not seem that important compared to the fact that iCould sucks.
They can try to do both at the same time.

Reactions: Sandstorm

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
It's really a shame of a company as rich as Apple to still not support Two-Factor Authentication to all countries while companies like facebook and google does.

Reactions: Sandstorm

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
This is stupid. The photo sync is not automatic. You have to click download in icloud app or in explorer which will download to a downloads folder. Changes here are not reflected on icloud. So if you need to delete a photo you have to go to icloud.com and delete it there. Then delete from your downloads folder too. To upload you have to copy and image to upload folder and click upload.

Very smooth . When downloading there is no progress bar and there are delays. So if it stops downloading that doesn't necessarily mean it's done. It could start up later again and download now photos

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Guess I'm not the only one who thought Windows 5. Yay for legacy support :p

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
The case is getting stronger for a Windows desktop that fills in the gaps of a headless Mac between the underpowered Mac Mini and the over priced Mac Pro. I can now access all my iCloud files and photos in my Windows 10 Bootcamp and do everything I used my Mac Mini for. My calendars, e-mail and contacts sync with my iPhone and iPad.

Apple better get their desktop act together beside those AIO iMacs or I'll be headed to a Windows machine for my next desktop.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I keep receiving the error, "Errors occurred while installing the updates. If the problem persists, choose Tools> Download Only and try installing manually."

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Office 2016. I assume I'm receiving this error because I have Office 2016 installed. Hopefully 2016 support follows.

Reactions: MrJungle

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
As someone who's had frustrating, seemingly unsolvable issues with getting iCloud to copy my photos to my PC over the years (starting with an iPhone 5S)... I am trying really, really hard not to get excited about this while I'm at work.

And if I read that correctly, I can upload my photos much more automatically? Meaning, I can put my 2007-2013 library back into iCloud?

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
So... Does this download images that have been edited on Apple devices or is it the original photo only? If so, if I re-edit a photo, does it update that photo on my PC?

Update- Never mind. I found the answer. It will download an edited photo, but only one time. You have to manually re-download a photo if you make another edit.

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
This is stupid. The photo sync is not automatic. You have to click download in icloud app or in explorer which will download to a downloads folder. Changes here are not reflected on icloud. So if you need to delete a photo you have to go to icloud.com and delete it there. Then delete from your downloads folder too. To upload you have to copy and image to upload folder and click upload.

Very smooth . When downloading there is no progress bar and there are delays. So if it stops downloading that doesn't necessarily mean it's done. It could start up later again and download now photos

Sounds like Apple should just do a Photos app for Windows. Or encourage Windows users to use the web app.

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
I'll never use a Mac as my main computer. In love with Windows for 10+ years running. :p
I did too until I started using macs as my main computer. Now I don't know why I subjected me and my family to that stress. I actually owned a Mac for 2 years before I decided to dump Windows and use Windows as a program.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I recently tried iCloud Photo Library and wished it had Windows sync so I could easily use it on my Surface Pro in addition to my iOS devices and MacBook Pro. Great that it has that now, but, I didn't like the way it stored files on my MBP. Prior to IPL, folders served as albums when syncing tethered to my laptop, but IPL requires albums be redefined and imported into the OS X Photos app. If you choose to keep pictures stored locally, it buries them in folders named by date with no correlation to the albums they're stored in -- you have to use the Photos app to easily look through pictures by album, Finder isn't useful at all this way.

Ideally, I'd be able to point the Photos app at my main pictures folder, and have it use the folder structure for Album definition and use that for IPL -- but it will only use imported pictures for IPL.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Warning: Doesn't work well if you have Outlook 2016 installed. The install will fail during the configuration phase. Workaround is to untick the checkbox to have it sync with Outlook.

As a result, the install never finished successfully. Tried removing the "old" v4 version via Control Panel, and that gave an error as well, because whatever the v5 installer did, it corrupted the v4 entries in the registry. What a mess.

I ended up having to make Internet Explorer emulate IE10 so that I could run the MS FixIt utility to fix the problem with the Add/Remove Programs control panel utility. (MS doesn't have their "FixIt" utilities ready for IE11 yet.)

And good to see I wasn't the only one that thought, "Windows 5?? o_O".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.