Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PandaNix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
I see a lot of suggestions to use 1Password - is it much better than iCloud Keychain? If yes, what makes it better?

I have been using iCloud Keychain for my passwords for some years on my iPhone. It never worked well with my old MBP but synced perfectly with the iPad I got last year.

I want it to work fluidly with my brand new MBP. But I find that it doesn't suggest strong passwords like it does on the phone/iPad when I need to create a new one. Also it doesn't alway suggest the password that is saved there - but it does on my iPhone 13PM.

They are all logged on to my Apple ID.

Reactions: jagooch

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
I used to use 1Password but migrated to Bitwarden (free). Now I use both Keychain and Bitwarden: Keychain for passwords which sync across devices; and Bitwarden for items that cannot be held in Keychain such as extended credit card details, etc.

The same scenario can be used with Keychain and 1Password.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
A whole LOT of people are moving away from 1Password, which is miles better than using iCloud Keychain.

Keychain is fine for simple password saving, but fails miserably when the list of passwords grows too large. It's also limited to passwords used in web browsers (for the most part), while most Password Managers allow you to store passwords for things like FTP sites, other computers/devices, serial numbers and purchase info for software, attachments (such as PDF receipts and license files), credit card and bank info, and much more. Keychain is also somewhat archaic in function, and quite frankly, ugly.

That being said, I left 1Password when it switched to subscription only. It's not that I mind paying for it, it's that it's limited in how and where your data is stored (their servers only). It has also gotten more convoluted in use, in my opinion. And I hate the fact that you have to install a separate extension for each browser you use along with the app itself.

I switched to Minimalist. It's from a former Apple Developer, and as its name implies, it's less "pretty" than 1Password, but offers almost all the same functions — with the notable exception of Auto-Fill only working in Safari right now. The best part is that it uses Apple's built-in Auto-Fill functionality, so there is no "extension/plug-in" to install for it to work. It's also not a subscription app. You can purchase a regular perpetual license for $60 (or you can choose a $20 per year subscription). There is a demo available on the website.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Long time 1Password user that is attempting to migrate to keychain. I have the following frustrations with keychain that make me keep having to use 1password:
  • Keychain can't store multiple URLs for a login entry. This means sites like microsoft.com, xbox.com, and live.com which share the same login information must be separate entries in keychain. If you update your password on one entry, you have to remember to update it for all.
  • For sites that don't autofill correctly, it's not easy to find/copy/paste your password from keychain.
  • Keychain has no password history. If you update an entry, but the website didn't accept the new password, you just lost your original password.
  • Keychain doesn't really have a concept of family sharing (i.e., shared vaults in 1password)

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Also interested in a migration path from 1password, between the sub and client issues I have been reading about here I am starting to want out. Thanks to all providing feedback, especially @MacGizmo , I never heard of Minimalist before your post, looks like a solid option.

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2021
A whole LOT of people are moving away from 1Password, which is miles better than using iCloud Keychain.

Keychain is fine for simple password saving, but fails miserably when the list of passwords grows too large. It's also limited to passwords used in web browsers (for the most part), while most Password Managers allow you to store passwords for things like FTP sites, other computers/devices, serial numbers and purchase info for software, attachments (such as PDF receipts and license files), credit card and bank info, and much more. Keychain is also somewhat archaic in function, and quite frankly, ugly.

That being said, I left 1Password when it switched to subscription only. It's not that I mind paying for it, it's that it's limited in how and where your data is stored (their servers only). It has also gotten more convoluted in use, in my opinion. And I hate the fact that you have to install a separate extension for each browser you use along with the app itself.

I switched to Minimalist. It's from a former Apple Developer, and as its name implies, it's less "pretty" than 1Password, but offers almost all the same functions — with the notable exception of Auto-Fill only working in Safari right now. The best part is that it uses Apple's built-in Auto-Fill functionality, so there is no "extension/plug-in" to install for it to work. It's also not a subscription app. You can purchase a regular perpetual license for $60 (or you can choose a $20 per year subscription). There is a demo available on the website.
I love 1Password have been using it for about 10 years now and I'm not sure I'll never stop.

Does it suck that we no longer have local in 8? Yeah, I hope they reconsider that, but I've not had a issue with them going down anytime in recent years.

Also you don't have to install that extension if you don't want to. I've used it as a stand alone for years. It always has still worked filling in auto fill and logging me into sites.

Reactions: Brian33

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Keychain now has notes, and it is easy to export passwords for backup, contrary to comments in prior threads. Apple Notes has lockable notes and is moving to end-end encryption. Not sure I need a 3rd party password manager now.

Reactions: Booji

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
I'm about ready to cancel my subscription to 1Password - especially after this last update - it's atrocious. And they have zero tech support ... unless you consider endless back and forth emails "tech support". Beyond frustrating.

I'm going to try iCloud Keychain.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
How about this. There is an entire thread regarding migrating away from 1Password, and has a TON of info as well as alternatives, and reasons/justifications why people have been migrating away from 1Password:

Have a look there. I ended up going to Enpass for now, as it handles everything I need at the moment that 1Password doesn't (note: Outside of some things with Keychain, I refuse to store my sensitive data - like passwords, CC info, etc. - into any cloud-based SaaS). I keep my vaults locally on my devices, sync between them, and back up my vault to my NAS. I layer those backups with both Time Machine on my Mac, and Hyper Backup on my NAS (Synology).

But that thread there will have more than enough info for you to make a decision on where to migrate, and why.

BL.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't mind keeping my vaults at 1Password.com. They're encrypted and safe. I still have local copies on all of my devices. My data is available on all platforms.

Reactions: jagooch

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I don't mind keeping my vaults at 1Password.com. They're encrypted and safe. I still have local copies on all of my devices. My data is available on all platforms.

That's what the users of LastPass and Dashlane said, spawning a lot of discussion of this topic.

BL.

Reactions: AleRod and curdy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's what the users of LastPass
Except LastPass has had this issue over and over and over. Its one thing to be the victim of a breach once and learn from your lesson, i.e., clamp down and tighten your controls. But for LastPass this like the 4th time or something. They also seem to have a tendency to downplay the severity.

Unless you choose to keep your passwords on your device, no where else, you are at risk. It doesn't matter if we're talking about Apple, 1Password, or for me, BitWarden.

Links for your reading pleasure
Why users choose Bitwarden over LastPass
1Password is the world's most trusted password manager. Here's why.

My personal take is password managers are essential in this day and age, due to the fact we need so many passwords and its generally not safe to use password123 for all your sites. Keeping your passwords on a single device isn't ideal as well since most people use multiple devices and need access to the passwords across those devices and for many that also means different platforms.

So regardless if you're using icloud keychain, 1password, bitwarden, lastpass, you need to do your due diligence and determine which products protects your data the best, while providing the level of service and features that you need.

Reactions: max2 and burgman

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
1Password is best but since they stop stand alone vaults and charge subscription for it. So I have moved to Enpass stand alone using wifi sync. I got discount to buy app.

Bitwarden also good.

Enpass is closest to 1Password. Enpass and Bitwarden not as smooth as 1Password but works fine for me.

Password manager do more than Apple keychain (I also use them too) like add far more extra info like security questions and answers (some websites still use them!!) and some have multiple login like banking use ID and email and some code as well so keychain can’t save all that info.

Other personal info like ID and passport etc need password manager to save info and my credit card info too. So much more than apple keychain can do.

chillvisio

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
If I had to make a choice between 1Password & Apple Keychain I’d still go for KeePassXC or Strongbox for using safe (well tested) encryption algorithms and open source platform.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
If I had to make a choice between 1Password & Apple Keychain I’d still go for KeePassXC or Strongbox for using safe (well tested) encryption algorithms and open source platform.

Umm.. Bitwarden is open source and SOC types 2 and 3, and ISO 27001 compliant, using those same well tested encryption algorithms.

BL.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Last edited:

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Minimalist is my preferred password manager. I stopped using 1Password due to complexity and pricing, but wanted more functionality than just Keychain.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Minimalist is my preferred password manager. I stopped using 1Password due to complexity and pricing, but wanted more functionality than just Keychain.

I actually like the complexity that 1Password gives. That’s what kept me a customer of theirs since the 3.x days.

What soured me was going to the subscription model (which is okay), but not leaving any upgrade path to the last standalone model they have, effectively forcing everyone to the subscription model. Because of that, I went to Enpass. Not as polished of a UI as 1Password, but the functionality is there, plus allows me to stay standalone and cross platform.

BL.

awawiwawa

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I had rated this password manager too, I love the minimalistic design but it's a shame it doesn't have any security audit report. From what I've read around, the manager was created and managed by just two people.

In the end, using only an iPhone and a Mac, I transferred everything to Keychain and protected notes.

Reactions: d3n and Mr. Heckles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.