Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apple has spent countless hours on this, in order to make it as confusing, convoluted and inconvenient as possible.

Their goal was to see how much time they could waste, how many users they could upset, and gain entry in to the hall of shame. :eek:

Nice Work Apple !

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I guess so :p

-Kevin

Its probably really simple when it gets release and it will all fall into place.

I have no idea though :D

Apple has spent countless hours on this, in order to make it as confusing, convoluted and inconvenient as possible.

Their goal was to see how much time they could waste, how many users they could upset, and gain entry in to the hall of shame. :eek:

Nice Work Apple !

It will be alright on the night.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
One thing I am realizing is that if you have a family that is all sharing a single Apple ID for purchases.....then one of you can have a single ID for both.....but everyone else is going to HAVE to have a separate iCloud login so they can have their own iCloud storage.

So if that is the case.....I might just stick with two....an Apple ID for the purchases and convert my MM account to be my iCloud, and my wife can convert her MM account to be her iCloud account.

-Kevin

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
One thing I am realizing is that if you have a family that is all sharing a single Apple ID for purchases.....then one of you can have a single ID for both.....but everyone else is going to HAVE to have a separate iCloud login so they can have their own iCloud storage.

So if that is the case.....I might just stick with two....an Apple ID for the purchases and convert my MM account to be my iCloud, and my wife can convert her MM account to be her iCloud account.

-Kevin
This is starting to seem like a better and better idea to me.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
My current Apple ID is just a word with no email address.

When I make the iCloud account and stuff. . .and make a new email @me.com . . .can I get rid of my old ID (to which all my products are registered) and essentially change my ID to the new one which will be my new email address?

Or are you stuck with your ID forever.

gardnafari

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Forgive me if I missed something

Here is my set up:

I have used and continue to use a gmail address as my Apple ID and all my purchases are tied to that gmail address.

I have a me.com address that I have not used since the "smooth" inception of me.com, but have been considering using it again for mail, contacts, calendars, etc.

I am using the iOS 5 GM and when I went in to set up the phone (before you even are taken to the springboard) you enter your Apple ID, of course I entered my gmail address, but when you go in to your iCloud settings the Mail radio button is off, if you go in to turn it on it asks you to set up a "New" me.com account. I don't want to setup a new me.com account - I want to use my existing one.

I've read through this thread and many have suggested that iCloud and your Apple ID are separate and distinct, but I am not certain myself. If our apps/songs/purchases are such an integral part of iCloud and especially the upcoming iTunes Match, how does iCloud make the distinction.

In a perfect world I would like to be able to use my since expired me.com address as my iCloud login and have it recognize past and future purchases.

I hope that makes sense and if anyone has anything to add - please reply.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
your iCloud and apple ID are essentially one and the same, there's no way to merge apple ID as of now, and you can only enter one iCloud account per device too.

to use your old me.com address (which is an apple ID) you migrate it over to iCloud and then, set it up using the imap settings and forgo push email, to have the contacts and calender sync you would then have to use the gmail apple ID account.

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
your iCloud and apple ID are essentially one and the same, there's no way to merge apple ID as of now, and you can only enter one iCloud account per device too.

Are you sure?

If I use different accounts for iTunes and MobileMe, can I merge them into a single account and use it with iCloud?

No. You cannot merge two accounts into one. However, you will be able to move your MobileMe account (yourname@me.com) to iCloud and, if you choose, you can continue to use a different iTunes account for store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
that's basically the reverse of what I said, I would have the appleID that you bought all your apps with as your iCloud cause therefore when you enter the iCloud on a new device the iCloud backup can restore all your apps, if you do it your way then you wouldn't be able to as the apple ID you used for iCloud wouldn't have any apps in it.

what I mean you cant have 2 iClouds on one device is you cant go: 'settings>.snip.>add iCloud' twice, you have to delete the one you have on there first to add another (that's what I was told on another thread).

therefore for gardnafari I would sign into icloud with the gmail apple ID and then set up his me.com email using IMAP manually, and do that until you can merge apple IDs (if that ever happens).

itunes in the cloud is separate to iCloud even though it is marketed under the same, as everyone who has ever used itunes can use itunes in the cloud even if they don't have an iOS 5 device.

myrealtygal

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
EMAIL/iCLOUD/SYNC NEW TO APPLE

actually apple make it very simple.

e.g. your current apple ID is xxx@gmail.com

when you got your IOS5, on the setup it will ask for your apple ID instead of iCloud so you won't get confuse.

Thus you enter your current apple ID xxx@gmail.com

This xxx@gmail.com apple ID will become your iCloud ID. If you want email in iCloud, you can create a new email id which is xxx@me.com but note this xxx@me.com is not our apple ID just your email ID only.

So hope it clear everyone doubt.

I want to continue using my corporate email address AND sync my devices and Outlook with iCloud. Initially believing iCloud worked only with @me email, I created a new @me.com, installed iCloud on 2 computers, and sync'd @me.com email and contacts with all devices and iPhone4s. (Calendar syncs on only one computer, but that's for another thread). My Apple ID is a yahoo email address. Did I jump the gun, or can I make changes now? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I for one am not happy that Apple created two Apple IDs for me because I had the audacity to "buy" Mobile Me. I did not want, nor ask, for my MM email to become an additional Apple ID. I certainly never thought I was getting virtually married to that ID.

So now I feel like an ugly step child who had the nerve to support MM before iCloud. I can't sync notes because it wants to ONLY use a me.com address but of course I already have one that cannot be used with iCloud.

This is a mess that I am quickly becoming tired of.

MIchael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.