iCloud, Mail, Photos and Other Apple Services Experiencing Issues [Updated]

macducky313

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Bit Torrent Sync is something I've experimented with. Its perfect for the "cloud" haters since Bit Torrent Sync software is a direct to all device solution without anything going to a cloud based server. However, there are times when cloud redundancy is valuable, just not mature enough yet to be called reliable. There are plenty of consumer based cloud solutions anyway that cut out the middle man and the constant subscription models.

If you solely rely on Apple's iCloud, then you aught to know by now that you really shouldnt count on just their cloud services.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Why would anyone be so stupid as to rely on their stuff in the "cloud".
All things considered, the cloud has been pretty reliable so far. Having replaced 2 different hard drives this month alone, having data there as well has been a very good thing.

Companies that care about data have seen the value of off site storage for decades. The cloud is just one more area that makes that possible.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Apple does many things right, services is not one of those. That is my one concern with having my data held in the cloud by Apple, trust that they know what they are doing.
Let's not get carried away. All cloud services have interruptions.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
no wonder mail didn't work at work. I deactivated my account for nothing and then it wouldn't let me sign back in

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You would think that they would tape that cord to the floor so no one trips over it anymore.

I thought they had multiple sites to avoid outages? It doesn't seem to be working!

#FAIL!!!

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
All things considered, the cloud has been pretty reliable so far. Having replaced 2 different hard drives this month alone, having data there as well has been a very good thing.

Companies that care about data have seen the value of off site storage for decades. The cloud is just one more area that makes that possible.
NOTHING is perfect.

A client had offsite storage for backups. Turned out it was taking so long to push the backups that they weren't finishing in the overnight time frame. Essentially they had no backup at all...

Another client had offsite backups, and then, the day they needed a vital document for a meeting, the internet was down and they couldn't restore it.

The cloud is not the cure all for access to data.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Seems like a regular occurence. I've never had any problems with my cloud services. Dropbox is so reliable. Even hotmail hardly ever goes down these days. These constant problems must be hurting Apple's credability in the enterprise sector.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Do you ever hear about such issues with Google, with Dropbox, with Spotify, with Microsoft and others? Almost never. I use many different services many years, but it is ONLY Apple services that are regularly down, slow or otherwise affected.

What the hell is wrong with Apple - the richest and most "innovative" tech company, that it just can't seem to create and maintain reliable cloud services?!? :confused:
I am a serious office 365 user. Recently I want to migrate all cloud data to OneDrive for Business library. The only reason I do this is because I can access my data from not only windows, but also mac. And, you may not know, icloud for Windows doesn't support windows server OS.

I am waiting for the new OneDrive universal app for both pc and mac. Once it is done, all data stored in icloud will be removed.

----------

Heh, cuts to Apple's server room ...

XDDD

Would it be possible to find that unplugged cable?

Impossible!

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
NOTHING is perfect.

A client had offsite storage for backups. Turned out it was taking so long to push the backups that they weren't finishing in the overnight time frame. Essentially they had no backup at all...

Another client had offsite backups, and then, the day they needed a vital document for a meeting, the internet was down and they couldn't restore it.

The cloud is not the cure all for access to data.
All true. Those that care about backups will find a way to make them work correctly...one way or the other. Most will have backups in more than one location. Like NASA, redundancy is a good thing.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Seems like a regular occurence. I've never had any problems with my cloud services. Dropbox is so reliable. Even hotmail hardly ever goes down these days. These constant problems must be hurting Apple's credability in the enterprise sector.
In fact apple is not ready for enterprise customers.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Hotmail dumped a lot of my emails, like, 15 years ago. I've never had issues with it since. Most 'cloud' services are very stable, except Apple's. Remember a few months ago, every day for what two weeks the service would go down for hours, and their 'Status Page' would say 'What? Everything is just absolutely fine!'...

Apple is not ready for the 'enterprise sector'. Not yet. Maybe never...

RakEgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
- Easier to share documents / work collaboratively.

- Documents available on any machine

- Data is safe even if hard-drive dies, laptop is stolen, etc.

- Software always up-to-date

- Save money on software / local storage costs
But none of the above is worth a toss when you can't get to your stuff.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I am a serious office 365 user. Recently I want to migrate all cloud data to OneDrive for Business library.
Tried OneDrive for a while and hated it. So slow and cumbersome and it really doesn't like working in a multi-device environment. Then I found Dropbox and I absolutely love it. Works perfectly with my PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad.

RakEgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
spare us all your rant with the global internet world and climb under a rock where you belong.
Why so personal? Hoow ah!! A luddite I am not! But being under a rock when your stuff has disappeared in the black emptiness may not be a bad place.

Hey here's really some good advice. Read a bit about what Snowden collected and is now sharing with the rest of the world. My stuff is not that important or that juicy, but it is my stuff and not the NSA's.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Thankfully, I slept through the whole thing. I have to say that is great customer service when they have outages while I sleep. Keep up the good work.

:D;)