iCloud, Mail, Photos and Other Apple Services Experiencing Issues [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2015.

1. till213 Suspended

Apple .Mac (cost $99.95 per year; expanded Mac.com e-mail capabilities; 100MB of iDisk storage, ...) - DIED!

Apple MobileMe ("push" services, iWeb, ...) - DIED!

iCloud - ...

Do you see a pattern already? ;)

----------

I don't know about patents, but Dropbox' asset is certainly "it just works"! ;)

2. amaze1499 macrumors regular

amaze1499

Where is the rumor?

Its certainly not news. iCloud is work in progress. Maintenance is not really an issue, is it?

3. MH01 Suspended

MH01

That is not in dispute. It's how often they happen, that we are questioning here.

4. robnbill macrumors member

It seems as more than iCloud is affected - see the twitter posts here:

https://twitter.com/downdetector

We are having problems here in Virginia on Verizon too - not sure about some of the other services.

Wonder if this more broad than just Apple iCloud services.

5. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Doing cloud services is far from trivial. Contrary to what you might believe, the above services do go wrong on many occasions, and in extreme cases have been out of action for many hours at a time. Most of the time they're fine, but it's the hiccups that get all the attention.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Apple made use of Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services to do a good bit of their cloudy stuff. If I wanted to develop a system to stream out thousands of concurrent movies, for example, the last thing I would do is build my own server farm for that.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Is it any more than other similar services? Go to downdetector.com and look at iCloud. 5 outages in the past 8 months.

Then go check out Google, Gmail and Outlook.

This is not a way to rag on those services so much as it is a way to underscore the point that when you use online services you're going to have to accept some downtime as just the cost of doing business. These companies should and do try and limit these interruptions as much as they can, but they just cannot stop these things from happening entirely.

7. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

I particularly liked the phrase "Users may have experienced slower than normal response when using most iCloud services."

Things are back to normal now, but for a couple of hours I could not access my .me account at all, no matter if I tried via Mail, the Browser route, my iPad or my Android phone. Any "slower" & it would have been in reverse! ;)

8. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

9. bobbykjack macrumors newbie

Of course, but your local storage needs electricity for you to use it. Does that mean you just shouldn't bother using a computer at all because power cuts sometimes happen?

10. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

They're quite the opposite of 'constant'. While I disagree with you, I think the word you're looking for is 'frequent' or 'recurrent'.

Also, I'd postulate that perhaps it's less obvious if/when Dropbox stops working, given the manner of interaction a user has with it is different to Apple's wide-ranging and pervasive iCloud services that are often in active use throughout the day (more so than Dropbox). That and the fact that iCloud outages are inherently reported more readily on Apple/Mac websites.

11. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

I think you must have meant updated not died. I still have my .mac address.
    What is the amount of free iCloud storage now :)

12. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Indeed!

And, I've found - over the years from iTools to iCloud - that the utility provided by Apple's various online services has always far outweighed the inconveniences that occasional outages have caused.

13. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

5GB in total for free, until now.

0.99 USD for 20GB in total.

or 1.27 AUD for 20GB in total.

14. 69650 Suspended

Also Dropbox has a very clever solution. It stores files on your local hard drive and mirrors them in the cloud. So I guess in a sense it's more like a RAID solution than a cloud service. I use it store all my files so I don't have to back up to an external hard drive and I can access everything from my iPhone or iPad when out.

15. kodos macrumors 6502

I hope iCloud only has "hobby" status at Apple with AppleTV, because that's what it feels like.

A group of drunken CS Majors in school experimenting with cloud storage.

16. Mums Suspended

Mums

I agree. I have finally given up on iCloud ever becoming fully functional. "It just works"?

17. jsagurton macrumors member

Is anyone else still having trouble with Mail? I can receive messages, but can't send via my Mac, but can via my iPhone.

18. ctone macrumors member

Yes, my incoming iCloud emails are getting delayed or possibly blocked. Sent a few test emails to my .mac account over an hour ago and still has not been received. Outgoing working okay though.

19. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

My post was to point out the upgrade from $99/year for 100MEG storage.
    I think todays prices are an upgrade not "died"

20. Topperdog1973 macrumors newbie

No iCloud team, and it shows.

Apple do nto have a dedicated team for iCloud. Each team is responsible for iCloud, and hence the complete mess that is evident. Apple's iCloud is a hosh-posh that is poorly organized and poorly executed. Put a team together to handle iCloud, and Apple could have a useful service. Still cheaper to just buy a hard drive and back up your own data. Not hard, adn certainly not expensive.

21. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Apple periodically change the name of their service. I think only when they want to remove cloud services mah those things die eventually.

22. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

Don't make me laugh.

Apple TRIED to buy Dropbox.

Want to know what their response was?

Starts with an F and then ends with a 'You'.

End of story.

Will never happen.

Just because Apple has money doesn't mean they should buy, buy, buy all the companies out.

Point of the story? The real business world does not work like you play on Monopoly.

23. Tech198 macrumors G5

24. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Your post title says "updated too"… What part of iCloud was updated?

25. michelepri macrumors 6502a

michelepri

Apple cloud mail has been having issues for ever. If I search anything the thing gets stock or returns an error message. It's always been that way and it's not going to change anytime soon. I love Apple computers, but for serious mail I need to use Gmail. iCloud is not safe.

And it's funny that Apple would like people to pay for that garbage.