Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I have an android phone and I love the music streaming service that google has. Of course I have an "unlimited" Data cap. But for the most part I only use the Streaming when I am on Wifi. It is great to be able to listen to some of the music I don't normally listen to if I want to. Streaming is good for those who want it. I like it. I love having the option to stream.

Finally a sensible argument.

However, where possible local storage should be used. People do not take into account the energy costs of streaming. One person doing it is no big deal, but tens of millions doing it is likely to release a lot of CO2.

Last edited:

freddiculous

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Silver Lake Los Angeles
Apple should give u the option to stream from the icloud severs and I bet they will somewhere in the future. You guys are aware this is how apple markets it's products/service. It does in small increments. I won't be surprised if next year apple announces streaming from icloud. The point is that this new icloud server has the capabilities to have a streaming option, but apple chooses not to give this option out to it's customers.

I have unlimited data and I was looking forward to streaming music. Some caps are 2gigs thats enough data to do some streaming.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here is the thing streaming would be a nice option, you you are on a good network connection, if you have unlimited data, and if you have to much music for your iPhone. For the normal user, none of these situations probably exist. For the average Macrumors user these situation might exist, but for the most part streaming is an unneeded option.

The only thing I wish they did was have so that you could create a playlist on iCloud of music you want in the list. Then instead of downloading individual songs or albumbs, you could hit download playlist and every song on that playlist would start downloading in the background. You could start this in morning at home on wifi and by the time you are ready to leave for work or school most of the songs should be downloaded leaving only a small amount to be downloaded over 3G against you data cap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.