Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi all I have read many people having a problem with not being able to back up to the cloud I never had any problems until I updated to 9.2.1 both my iPad and iPhone sadly won't back up. Error message saying unable to back up to iCloud ? I have had my phone plug in and on wifi I have reset network and try another one I have reset the phone I have even done a full restore. Is there a problem with the servers? A bug. I did read a few posts but sadly very old. Any fix? Thanks in advance Ray

Reactions: dmnc

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hi, hopefully this will help,

Using a MFi cable-

I would backup 'encrypted' via itunes saving to your computer.

Then delete the 'old' iPhone icloud backup on icloud via iPhone (worth making a noteof the 'latest backup')-

iOS

1. Tap Settings > iCloud. If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Storage > Manage Storage. ...
    2. Tap the name of your iOS device.
    3. Tap Delete Backup. When you're asked to confirm, choose Turn Off & Delete to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that iOS device from iCloud.

Then try backup 'over the air' again, plugged into mains. I'm hopeful this will work.

If not next try backup to iCloud via iTunes.

It sounds like the iCloud backup has a glitch (I have had this). My iPhone wasn't backing up 'over the air' for a month without my knowledge!

I check daily now backup has been time stamped.

ps

I have a 'reminder' set to back up my iPhone & iPad 'encrypted' via iTunes to my TC, monthly.

Then a further reminder to backup TC to a USB drive that I keep at a relatives house (offsite backup).

So I have three iPhone/ipad backups hopefully that covers all the bases.

Last edited:
Reactions: raycopeland

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi, hopefully this will help,

Using a MFi cable-

I would backup 'encrypted' via itunes saving to your computer.

Then delete the 'old' iPhone icloud backup on icloud via iPhone (worth making a noteof the 'latest backup')-

iOS

1. Tap Settings > iCloud. If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Storage > Manage Storage. ...
    2. Tap the name of your iOS device.
    3. Tap Delete Backup. When you're asked to confirm, choose Turn Off & Delete to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that iOS device from iCloud.

Then try backup 'over the air' again, plugged into mains. I'm hopeful this will work.

If not next try backup to iCloud via iTunes.

It sounds like the iCloud backup has a glitch (I have had this). My iPhone wasn't backing up 'over the air' for a month without my knowledge!

I check daily now backup has been time stamped.

ps

I have a 'reminder' set to back up my iPhone & iPad 'encrypted' via iTunes to my TC, monthly.

Then a further reminder to backup TC to a USB drive that I keep at a relatives house (offsite backup).

So I have three iPhone/ipad backups hopefully that covers all the bases.
Hi sadly this did not work for me yeah I only knew as the phone told me it's not backed up for some time I have done it to iTunes what a pain I del all info off iCloud over air so that's now lost I don't know what's going on with it

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hi sadly this did not work for me yeah I only knew as the phone told me it's not backed up for some time I have done it to iTunes what a pain I del all info off iCloud over air so that's now lost I don't know what's going on with it

Hi

Sorry it didn't work.

Is sounds like the icloud over the air backup was no good anyway plus of course it is not the best backup (like encrypted iTunes)

I would go iTunes-Preferences-devices-
highlight todays backup or right click and 'archive' before doing future backups of iPhone.

Try backing up to your iCloud account but via iTunes, does that now work?

Also if you go to icloud.com and sign in are all your contacts, calendars there?

Have you installed an iOS beta recently?

When was the date stamp for the over the air backup have you installed any apps since that date? You can check your purchase history in iTunes

Cheers

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi

Sorry it didn't work.

Is sounds like the icloud over the air backup was no good anyway plus of course it is not the best backup (like encrypted iTunes)

I would go iTunes-Preferences-devices-
highlight todays backup or right click and 'archive' before doing future backups of iPhone.

Try backing up to your iCloud account but via iTunes, does that now work?

Also if you go to icloud.com and sign in are all your contacts, calendars there?

Have you installed an iOS beta recently?

When was the date stamp for the over the air backup have you installed any apps since that date? You can check your purchase history in iTunes

Cheers
Sadly only updated to the new iOS 9.2.1 try backing up via iTunes to the cloud no luck nope no back ups via iCloud .com I have a full 5gb free ? I don't know I will keep playing about.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Sadly only updated to the new iOS 9.2.1 try backing up via iTunes to the cloud no luck nope no back ups via iCloud .com I have a full 5gb free ? I don't know I will keep playing about.

on iCloud.com your contacts, notes, calendar, reminders etc are there though? I certainly hope so.

I don't like tinkering with photolibrary, someone else on here may help, but towards the end of this thread there was a fix for some-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7222903?start=45&tstart=0

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Yeah all my contacts are pushed to iCloud . Com etc ok thanks I will have a read thanks for all your help

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
sadly i dont see or have photolibrary? on iphone or ipad well i sure dont see it?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
sadly i dont see or have photolibrary? on iphone or ipad well i sure dont see it?

Hi buddy

go to iCloud.com and double check your precious photos are there.

On you iPhone: if you go setting at the very top type photo library - press 'iCloud Photo Library'

toggle off 'iCloud Photo Library'

cheers

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi buddy

go to iCloud.com and double check your precious photos are there.

On you iPhone: if you go setting at the very top type photo library - press 'iCloud Photo Library'

toggle off 'iCloud Photo Library'

cheers
Ok it was already off I put on then off again it did upload the pics I had in my photo file but only showing my last back up on the 22nd of this month? Anything after its not uploaded only what I have put on pc I turned that off and on and off try again to backup no luck

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Ok it was already off I put on then off again it did upload the pics I had in my photo file but only showing my last back up on the 22nd of this month? Anything after its not uploaded only what I have put on pc I turned that off and on and off try again to backup no luck

you have tried:
  • Reset your device by holding down the home button and the sleep/wake button together until the screen goes black and you see the Apple logo.
I'm sure you have already.

Try closing all open apps.

Do you have any new apps or iTunes music installed since Fridays last successful OTA backup?

Also when you try & 'Back Up Now' OTA, iPhone should be should be plugged in and then turn screen off & leave for say 10-15 mins.

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Yeah tried a reset no new Apps music etc and no back up when plugged in and locked on wifi

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
The wife's iPad been give a message a few times saying it's not been backed up in about 30 days

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
I will do yeah it might auto correct it's self? Who knows do you mean this turn this off? Also it would not turn on if I mean this in the pic I had to turn it on in iTunes
fddd7fa0e963597158e3cfb2cb74e0ab.jpg

raycopeland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
I done this on the iPad and the sod won't turn back on still won't work if this what u mean?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I will do yeah it might auto correct it's self? Who knows do you mean this turn this off? Also it would not turn on if I mean this in the pic I had to turn it on in iTunes
fddd7fa0e963597158e3cfb2cb74e0ab.jpg

Hi

yes I would turn that off. Leave an hour and turn back on. Plug into mains & leave over night.

cheers

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I done this on the iPad and the sod won't turn back on still won't work if this what u mean?

not sure why that is, never come across that before.

I would give backuping up the ipad to itunes encrypted as a priority.

Then maybe reset as post above ^ and toggle on again? Really strange it won't switch back on again.

cheers

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
My 5S backed up fine without issue... I'm on 8.4.1 though, so it can't be server issue

Last edited:

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I have the same problem. Tried restarting the phone, resetting network settings, using another wifi network, sign out and back in from iCloud, restore my iPhone and use an iTunes backup, restoring and setting as new phone. I deleted my previous backup. Nothing works. I was considering starting to pay for iCloud storage, but this is making me stay with Google Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.