iCloud or Google Sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

Now with iCloud coming out the day after tomorrow, those who use Google Sync, will you stick with that for your Calendar's and Contacts or will you switch to iCloud to manage this?

Looking for peoples thoughts!

Thank you!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm sticking with Google. I am a victim of MobileMe, so it will be a while before I trust Apple with my data in the cloud....

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I currently use MobileMe and Google together (MobileMe for personal stuff and a Google Apps account for business) - I don't see any reason to change that with the advent of iCloud

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm with neither right now, and plan to sign up for iCloud and create an @me.com email address.

5. IcyStorm macrumors regular

I don't like iCloud's web interface for email, contacts, and calendar, so I'll probably stick to Google for those.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Google works well. Unless Apple gives us something special that we don't yet know about, then I see no reason to go through the effort to switch.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I'm using iCloud for some things... Contacts list backup, Photo stream, etc.

Using Dropbox for documents cause it's a better solution and works with multiple platforms.

As for Calendar, I am definitely sticking with Google for it. Apple still doesn't allow multiple calendars owned by different Apple ID's to be shared onto one device unless you want to fork over your login credentials. Most modern families have multiple Apple ID's tied to different mobile devices. The best way to set it up so you can see and sync your spouse and kids' schedules with them managing it is to setup Google Calendar in iCal and mobile iCal so there's no reason to switch to iCloud there. I actually just did a blog writeup about this since I was tired of having my reminders disappear into the void between MobileMe, iCloud, and computer syncs.

8. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I was in the process of migrating over to Google when iCloud was announced, so I'm just going to stick with iCloud. The one thing that always bugged me about using Google Sync was the inability to define the color the iPhone used for each calendar. I know that's Apple's fault, but it was still annoying nonetheless.

9. IcyStorm macrumors regular

I believe in iOS 5 you can change the color of the calendars through the Calendar app.

10. modr0010 macrumors newbie

I use my work exchange client to handle all my contacts, email, and calendars. How will that blend with iCloud?

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Both. Calendars, contacts, emails go to Google Apps and most other items through iCloud. Very easy to configure this way, I'm quite impressed.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use both ..... for contacts, email and calendar. iCloud is basically the same as Mobile Me with the exception of some new features added and some old features disabled. MobileMe has always been more dependable the Google sync for me, so I'd figure iCloud should be just the same. Been using iCloud with the iOS5 GM and so far it's good.

13. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Same here.

14. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Just so I'm clear - to setup Google sync, you're really setting up your Google account through the Exchange option? In turn, I'd need to delete my previous Google e-mail setup via the "Google" option on the iOS mail screen.

Also, if I set this up, do I need uncheck all of the mail and contacts sync checks in iTunes? However, I'd still want iCal synced up with my Google account, correct?

Sorry if these are basic questions. There are so many ways to setup these devices, and accounts I often feel things get jumbled.

15. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I have just set up an iCloud account and the thing I do not like about it compared to Gmail is the web interface. Gmail loads quicker, better with attachments, you can compose email in the same window and it has a much better interface.

The only thing I do not like about Gmail (Google Sync) is that you cannot delete emails from your iPhone directly. They archive instead of delete unless you setup Gmail as IMAP (then you lose the PUSH capability).

16. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

You're right, I hadn't noticed this before! I can finally change the color of my work calendar. Happy day!