iCloud Photo Library Beta Photo Synch/Delete

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jetmaster114, Oct 24, 2014.

1. jetmaster114 macrumors member

When I try turn on iCloud Photo Library Beta on my iPad I get the following warning:

PHOTOS SYNCHED FROM ITUNES WILL BE REMOVED

Synching photos via iTunes is not supported when icloud photo library is turned on

274 photos will be removed

If I say its OK to remove photos where are they going to be deleted from and will they be lost forever? From the iPad? From iPhoto on my Mac. I don't want to turn this on until I know what's happening to these 274 photos?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No idea, but why not import them into iPhotos on your computer and then back them up (I assume you back up to a separate hard drive) before turning on the beta?

3. deviant macrumors 65816

if you synced photos from iTunes they must be in iPhoto. if you still have them in iPhoto (i suppose so) you will lose them on the iPhone only of course.

4. indefinitekarma macrumors member

I've done a ton of back and forth with this iCloud Photos thing so I have some information that can help.

iCloud Photos does not permit syncing of photos from iTunes so it will delete the photos synced to your phone from the phone... not iPhoto.

To get the photos from iPhoto back on your phone I made a folder on the desktop of my Mac and copied all the iPhoto photos from iPhoto to the folder (drag and drop 'em). Then I transferred all the photos, 99 at a time (maximum for Airdrop) to my iPhone using Airdrop. It then uploads those photos to iCloud Photos and you are good to go. It looks like in most cases it keeps all the exif data from your photos so if you have them locationally tagged and dated the "Moments" part of the Photos app should still track the data.

Keep in mind iCloud Photos is still in beta and can sometimes be wonky so make sure you have your **** backed up.