iCloud Photo Library downloading to ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by M. Gustave, Dec 14, 2016.

1. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched but couldn't find any discussion. Does anyone know if turning on iCloud Photo Library on the Apple TV causes it to download your entire library to the device?

My data use the day after getting it jumped 8GB in one day, and I haven't watched anything other than DirectvNow, which up to this point has not been using any cellular data on our iPad (I check it daily). I'm on AT&T, ATV4 on 10.1.

Thanks for any help.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

No, in fact it can't. It may load part of what you're accessing, but storage is limited to what's needed at the time you're using it. Anything stored will be released as the ATV4 needs the room for other functions.

3. M. Gustave, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

M. Gustave thread starter macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Thanks, I was really doubting it. I'm in a chat right now with DIRECTVnow support, and they're telling me that streaming on AppleTV via our at&t wifi hotspot isn't covered for the free data... which is outrageous if true.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It will download screen-sized (1920x1080) previews of your entire library. This will use up a few GB of data transfer and storage.

I stopped using iCloud Photo Library on my ATV because it was somehow messing with the organization of albums on all my other devices.