iCloud Photo Library missing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by curtoise, Sep 17, 2014.

1. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I have 6 iOS devices, two of them with the GM installed (iPhone, iPad) with iCloud Photo library working correctly, I've installed iOS 8 public release on the other devices and that options is missing, no iCloud Photo library on any of them.

Is this feature gone in the public release even if the iOS version is the same one as GM?

Maybe I need to turn this feature on? I do not recall doing it for the GM.

2. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

LOL, this is clearly the big issue of this release #camerarollgate

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It was turned off for the GM unless you had a developer account attached. Likely when you updated it didn't save your developer status.

4. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously, I have 6 devices, same iOS version 12A365 and 4 of them does not have iCloud Photo library and 2 of them have the feature.

I assume that if the feature was removed the version number for the OS should be different too?

5. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

It's missing. As far as I can tell the photos are there in the Photos tab in Photos app but no longer in Albums. Further, I checked iPhoto Sharing which presumably should have my entire iCloud library but only about a month's worth is showing. So unclear where my "photos in the cloud" are at the moment. This is why they need www.icloud.com to show all the stuff in there

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It's probably something they can enable/disable remotely. That's why the same build may or may not have it.

7. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see, Photos are a mess right now, and all mention of iCloud Photo Library disappeared from apple.com too.

8. nando87 macrumors 6502a

I've lost the photos which were on my Streaming folder. I have no clue what has happened

9. got2go macrumors member

10. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it looks like Photostream is gone now too?

11. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Yes, it's gone on purpose and it is creating massive confusion. What's left is not intuitive and now very difficult to manage and sort photos. Maybe there will just be a learning curve?

From reviewer:

As a side note: Apple’s decision to eliminate the camera roll and to merge photos from various devices using the same Apple ID is going to confuse a lot of people. I’m not sure it’s the right choice and was confused by it multiple times and I’m paid to get this stuff.

link to review: http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/life-is-tough/?ncid=rss

12. Ries macrumors 68000

The settings option is some how remote controlled by Apple. I had it go and come on iOS 8 GM. Currently still have it "iCloud Photo Library (Beta)".

13. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Man, I hate to loose this even if it is beta. I am now on GM on my iPad and iPhone, but am getting a new iPhone 6 on Friday. Fully suspect it will be gone on that device. It really does work good, when it is there.

14. Padmini macrumors 6502a

It was disabled for the public release. Its still available to developers that were using it before.

This release is botched in a lot of ways. Best OS to date, worst release to date.

----------

It shouldn't be gone on that device if you login with the same Apple ID. Thats what it is associated with, not the device itself.

----------

Apple's decision to eliminate camera roll in favor of one simple cloud-connected Library was great....

.....and their failure to enable that Library with this release is a disaster. The way it is now is never how it was meant to be. It's mess. No camera roll + photo stream only = a total mess.

iCloud Photo Library needs to be turned on. Now. For everyone. Apple has botched this release.

15. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I believe icloud photo library replaces photo atream. Pictures you take will still show up on photo stream, on ios 7 devices and Mavericks.

Photo library will store every single picture you ever taken on icloud. This will delete the copies on your phone. The downside of this is you have to pay for icloud space.
    Photo stream only stores the last 1000 pictures temporarily. And I believe it's being retired. Just like icloud documents is being replaced by icloud drive

That's how I understand it

16. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes this could be good but it is not there now, no Photostream , no iCloud Photo library, but iOS 7 devices will have Photostream and not iCloud Photo library, until when?

A real mess.

17. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I have both iCloud Library AND photo stream enabled.

18. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you in GM? are you a Dev? or a regular user upgrading to iOS 8?

19. DarkAnnie macrumors member

DarkAnnie

Same here, regular user update.

20. matttye macrumors 601

Missing for me. Updated to the GM the day after it came out and I've never seen the option :(

21. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you share a screenshot of your photo settings module?

This is getting more confusing by the minute

22. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Updated the Wife's rMini ipad earlier via OTA and she too has the option to enable the photo library beta.

23. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Coming from iOS 7? or the GM (beta?)

24. DarkAnnie macrumors member

DarkAnnie

Went to do just that, when I realized I confused iCloud library and iCloud sharing. I see my options are photo stream and iCloud sharing.
    Sorry bout' that!

25. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I have photo stream enabled and icloud library off

Im nervous about turning on iCloud librsry because it deletes all your photos from your device.

Photo stream is not visible on my iPhone or iPad because I updated to iOS 8

This is why I think photo stream is being retired, and it is a " legacy " setting

Any pictures you take are stilll sent to photo stream. They are just not visible on other ios 8 devices