Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Ok, so have updated my iPhone 6 and iPad 2 both to iOS 8.1 however iCloud Photo Library is a little messed up.

I have it turned on on both devices and it is working properly as when I take a photo on my iPhone, the same pic then displays on my iPad and also on icloud.com so new photos taken, seem to be syncing ok.

However, looking at my iPad, it shows that I have 956 photos. My iPhone shows that I have 963 photos and icloud.com shows that I have 1000 photos?!? Obviously, the sync is not working properly for existing photos as all 3 places should have the same amount of photos?!

Also, on icloud.com, some photos are showing twice, however, on my devices, they are only showing once?! If I delete one of the photos on icloud.com which is showing twice, it deletes the only version which is on my devices, so I basically lose that photo from the device, but it still shows on icloud.com?!?

I like the idea of having iCloud Photo Library however, it doesn't seem to be working properly for existing photos?!

Kurios2

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Going back to iphone 4, I've never used icloud, only itunes for updates and back ups. If you're afraid of losing your pictures, plug your phone into a USB port and drag your pictures to a folder on your hard drive by using copy. Do that every now and then. Dropbox is also fast if you want to try it.
Good luck!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Ok, so have updated my iPhone 6 and iPad 2 both to iOS 8.1 however iCloud Photo Library is a little messed up.

I have it turned on on both devices and it is working properly as when I take a photo on my iPhone, the same pic then displays on my iPad and also on icloud.com so new photos taken, seem to be syncing ok.

However, looking at my iPad, it shows that I have 956 photos. My iPhone shows that I have 963 photos and icloud.com shows that I have 1000 photos?!? Obviously, the sync is not working properly for existing photos as all 3 places should have the same amount of photos?!

Also, on icloud.com, some photos are showing twice, however, on my devices, they are only showing once?! If I delete one of the photos on icloud.com which is showing twice, it deletes the only version which is on my devices, so I basically lose that photo from the device, but it still shows on icloud.com?!?

I like the idea of having iCloud Photo Library however, it doesn't seem to be working properly for existing photos?!

iCloud Photo Library is in BETA. I would imagine it won't work properly a lot.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
It's actually working great for me. Also, provided me with the motivation to go through and clean out photos. I ended up deleting over 2000!

Looking forward to the new Mac app.

Edit: I just checked my numbers, and on both iPad and phone, I still have 5,271 photos and 101 videos. Mostly of my dogs. ;)

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
It's actually working great for me. Also, provided me with the motivation to go through and clean out photos. I ended up deleting over 2000!

Looking forward to the new Mac app.

Edit: I just checked my numbers, and on both iPad and phone, I still have 5,271 photos and 101 videos. Mostly of my dogs. ;)

Same here. I actually air dropped all my photos from my Mac to my iPhone and they All uploaded perfectly.
The only problem I have noticed so far is that if you download images and videos from iCloud.com they are not full size. Not sure that's a bug but it's weird because the photos definatly upload in full resolution. Hope they fix that soon.

Last edited:

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I have a similar problem, but what I have noticed is that if I manually delete every single photo in my iCloud photo library (as a test - everything is backed up), it still shows that there are 16 photos and zero video taking up 4.1 GB in iCloud. If I plug my iPhone into my Mac I can see these 16 photos via the Image Capture app, but I cannot see them on my iPhone or iPad or via the beta.iCloud.com photos page.

So basically iCloud Photo Library is using up 4.1 more GB than it should and 16 photos appear to be stuck in limbo, where they will download and sync, just they won't display inside the iOS photos app or iCloud webpage.

Has anyone else seen this type of problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.