iCloud Storage size not refreshing after deleting files!

steve23094

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2013
Are you going to call Apple about it or just let it go? I'm debating if I really want to deal with it or not. In a sense, it is "free" storage, right? :p
I’m just going to leave it. I’m presuming it’s a bug that will eventually get fixed. I don’t know if it’s free storage, when it’s full it might say as much without actually showing as full. I have dealt with Apple over weird iCloud service problems before and it’s rather laborious (initially cookie cutter replies and then admission the person you’re dealing with can’t solve the problem so they pass it up the chain and then you have to repeat the whole process over again).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

valpnow

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
Katowice, Poland
I had the same issue. Only apple support could help as there were some glitch on apple servers. So if you struggle, just make a call so they can fix it. :)

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
So I called up Apple. Yeah, the guy had no clue what I was talking about. I have 19.12GB in iCloud Drive. It is showing that I'm using 2.3 GB in iCloud Drive.

After 5 mins on the phone, figured my time was best spent doing something else. Still a little pissed that something I pay $9.99/mo for can't accurately tell me my usage. :/

I'm not the type to insist that they fix it either, I've got better things to do with my life (maybe).

It is definitely not counting accurately.

It says I'm using 110.5 GB.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 9.10.56 AM.png

Other Documents is iCloud Storage (2.3GB) --- Scanner Mini is 200MB and everything else below is pretty tiny.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 9.11.56 AM.png

I just added 3GB of storage to my iCloud Drive yesterday and my 110.5 GB of usage didn't budge.

Annoyed, but not enough to do anything more than complain about it here. :/

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
WOW... it finally fixed itself!

Haha! It finally fixed itself! For the longest time Other Documents was 2.2-2.3GB. It reflects correctly now on all my devices. I did nothing to fix it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 12.17.29 PM.png

Apple?really?

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2019
See my post No 15 above.
I waited 5 months until Apple gave me back my 3.1GB. That meant for 5 months I had to pay the price increase from 50GB to 200GB. Not a huge sum I admit but when you add up all the other account holders in a similar position that’ll be a large slice Apple will have made.
I applied my stop touching my nerves solution: direct downgrade from 50GB to 5GB. Then you will see how it takes less than 5 months. Theese guys are naive. They really thought I was going to increse my storage space for the face? Bye bye my loves, no more apples, I take watermelons better.

vintonole

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
Ugh. It seems that just downgrading to the free account is my only option. I've called support multiple times and can't take the frustration anymore. Whenever I mention a device they immediately want to shuffle me off to support for that device. What you deleted a file from the iMac... I can't help you here. Sigh. Guess I'll go back to using gmail and dropbox... icloud isn't worth this headache.

pretom

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
This might help,
> Go to www.icloud.com
> Log in to your account
> Open iCloud Drive
> You will see "Recently Deleted" on the right corner, click that
> Delete the files that you want to delete

Last edited:

Richard Price

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
I see this thread is going round in circles. I am in same position except have 90GB of space on my wife's account in Family Sharing which has not been released by Apple. One of the reasons for taking the Apple route rather than Google or others is I don't have to worry about this sort of thing. Will leave it a few more days, if the space is not cleared (after falling all the recommendations above. I will switch off iCloud and go the Google route for my Cloud Solutions...

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
It’s my experience that even though it says the space is used it isn’t and it’ll let you save items. About once a month it recalculates - though not always. But in reality the space is free so if you try to save something it will let you.

Unacceptable in my opinion. I use OneDrive with a $99 family subscription for my wife and I.