iCloud - the biggest innovation you will never use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prodo123, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Prodo123, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

iCloud, it's a great concept. Hell, it's amazing. All your data in the cloud, for free? I'm sold.
    But the big catch. It's iTunes-bought music only.
    iTunes has 256Kbps AAC with that new exchange program. It sucks. As I speak I am converting FLAC/ALAC to MP3 VBR V0 because of its low file size and success in ABX comparator. There's almost no difference. But with AAC it's clearly noticeable between EAC rips and iTunes downloads.

iTunes-bought music suck. Plain and simple. Now Apple's going to force us to buy it if we want to use iCloud.

Plus, $25 per year? Sure, it's a low price but I'd prefer free, user-uploaded content over this crappy restrictions.

Come on, Apple, you can do better.

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I don't need anyone to store anything for me. I can do that all by myself with my 3TB External Hard Drive. Cloud services are/were never something I was interested in.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You can't connect that to an iPod, or carry it around. That's the whole point of cloud computing and iCloud; mobility without limits on storage.

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

"innovation" implies it is something new. nothing is innovating about this. there is no game changer here just a new feature for those who buy their music through itunes, and it is a marketing ploy to get new itunes customers. that is all

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I wouldn't say that. I have an iPad, iPad, MBA, and iMac. None of them have the same songs on them. My iPod is only synched with my MBA so none of my other devices have any of my songs. How are you going to back up songs from an iPad or iPod? There are drives.

This feature would make it possible for all my devices to have all my songs. No need for USB ports, or synching with multiple iTune accounts, etc. Simple enough for me.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, my 1TB drive works just fine for me. That plus my MediaFire, DropBox, BoxNet and Cloudapp accounts pretty much round out everything for me.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

iCloud - The thing people are still calling a "music service" even though that's, like, just one little part of what it does.

And the fact is, for that music part, iCloud is just adding a feature to the iTunes Music store. Ok, great...they improved the store! Don't use the store? Well then you don't see the improvement.

This thread is like a Macbook owner complaining that the iMac got a new feature. We get it, it's not for you. So what's the problem? It's not like they're forcing you to pay for something you're not gonna use.

iCloud does a ton of other stuff for free. To complain that this oen feature is not something you need seems very whiny. Enjoy the rest of the totally free parts of iCloud.

8. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

How else am I supposed to fit 34GB of hi-fi music into a 32GB iPhone?

9. Jcoz macrumors 6502

iCloud is more than itunes

10. Tones2 macrumors 65816

No, iTunes mach covers all music in your library, not just iTunes purchased. But yes, it does replace your potentially lossless or better quality songs with 256 AAC - but you can always hope that the iTunes stores does NOT have your songs such that they will be uploaded in their current format. :)

Tony

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There used to be 3rd-party apps that allowed you to stream your home library.

I do admit that I don't know if they still exist or if they were shut down. Anyone else around here know? I never used them so I don't know.

12. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING ME. But the thing is, often times iTunes music is ridiculously compressed and loud. Stands out like a sore thumb amongst home-ripped files, and often hurts eardrums. And on quiet songs/parts of songs, FLAC captures everything. Apple compresses it until it's not the actual volume anymore.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I like the fact that the documents and photo APIs will be shared amongst those apps that will use the iCloud. Since it's integrated into the OS - is should be easier to share files among programs of different types.

That being said - the cloud is still subjected to limitations such as down time, bandwidth issues and not being able to access your files (if ONLY stored in the cloud) and you are without signal (wifi or 3g).

14. tritonj macrumors 6502a

this thread is talking about the iTunes part so that's what i addressed. i know damn well that iCloud is more than just iTunes. but it honestly isn't very innovated either. the idea is over 10 years old that marketing people have been rebranding over the years. and even the iCloud isn't even the "cloud" it is only a portion of what "cloud" computing means

15. badboy600 macrumors member

badboy600

16. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Yes. Only when the OS is in the cloud is it truly cloud computing.

17. fender57 macrumors 6502

So what does "store up to 1000 photos up to 30 days" mean? It will be deleted on day 31?

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

iCloud = dropbox/boxnet/(insert favorite online hard drive) + Apple APIs to integrate into applications.

which is nice, but nothing earth shattering or groundbreaking

19. dasams macrumors member

dasams

Until it is lost or stolen. Then your sol. :eek: dave

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I disagree. "iCloud API" are earth shattering words. That's gonna be the big game changer.

21. dasams macrumors member

dasams

Just be sure to tell the burglar to take all of your apple equip except your back-up drive. :D dave

22. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Wait so iCloud is for iTunes-purchased music only?

What about people like myself who prefer to buy physical CDs, and convert them to .mp3 in the preferred format?

Well this is lame...

23. tritonj macrumors 6502a

why is an iCloud API a game changer? if this were a universal API that was earmarked as the standard for Cloud computing sure it would be a game changer. but all this is (and i will use the documents as an example) is a way for a dev to integrate iCloud access into an app. which i believe some apps already are able to do with dropbox and boxnet, etc. so nothing new there.

24. Krandor macrumors 6502

I don't see any of the user uploaded versions as being better. Amazon gives you 20GB. My iPad stores 64GB itself... 20GB "in the cloud" doesn't really make much of a difference and I have to spent time to upload that 20GB too.

I fail to see how user uploaded cloud service that is smaller then the storage capacity of your mobile device helps. A useful cloud service would have more data available then I can store on my phone or ipad and iClould potentially can do that but it still has to be downloaded and I am assuming I cannot use smart playlists and have playcounts updated for use in smart playlists so I am not sure that iCloud is useful for me either.

I have not seen any of the cloud music services that so far are useful for me. What I want is access to updated versions of my smart playlists and the data on my NAS when I am away from home and that just isn't available yet.

25. Maaz macrumors 6502a

You not reading what iCloud actually does is lame.