Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collinsra

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Greetings everyone,

Tried to find this in the forums but failed to do so.

I updated my iPhone 4 32gb from 4.0.1 to 4.2.1. Instantly after, when I push down an app to move it around, the "wiggle" takes much longer to start wiggling. The. After I hit the home button to stop it, it takes a few seconds for it to stop wiggling.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this? Really don't want to wipe and restore.

sdpics

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Mine does it but not a big deal to me really

(it is like a 10 second delay so it could drive a lot of people nuts)

Xhita

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Switzerland
I have the exact same issue, although it's not a big deal (just annoying).
IP4, 16GB, bought in Oct 2010, brand new, never JB.

AoFFiE

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
After I hit the home button to stop it, it takes a few seconds for it to stop wiggling.

if it literally takes a few seconds, there's something wrong. icons on mine stop wiggling almost immediately after i press the home button.

Arnold Rimmer

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Hi folks,

I had the same issue with the icon delay. It's NOT "OCD" as some may say and it is actually a huge pain in the neck.

It caused me enough problems that i ended up reinstalling from scratch 4 times over until i finally figured it out.
I have over 387 installed apps that i use regularly and reinstalling from scratch is a nightmare, but now my issue is resolved i found it VERY worth it.

As for the people saying keep it to yourself and do others care? Thats no attitude for the spreading of information and knowledge? Ignore them!
Without this thread i probably wouldn't have posted my resolution as i thought i was the only one experiencing the problem, so it was worth mentioning it IMO.

I have resolved the issue as i noticed that it was ONLY apparent when the new "app animations for folders" is present. I have now limited all "folders" to "8 apps" each, this stops the new "folder animation" from taking place and has therefore removed the delay.

When you have MORE than 8 apps in a folder, that folder will animate (usually up) to show any room remaining within it, i have found that this causes a massive delay (apx 3/4 seconds) between touching the screen/button and anything happening on the phone (the more folders you have the slower the response)

By limiting each "folder" to "8 apps" and therefore stopping the animation for occurring, my phone is perfect again and i am very very happy with 4.2.1 now and my iPhone4.

So give that a try, limit ALL folders to a max of 8 apps per folder and see if that works for you.
I hope this helps, and it does go away if you follow those directions as it has gone for me and i am very happy now.

PS.
I have 1 folder with 12 apps and this seems OK. Its obviously when you have a few folders animating, but 1 full folder seems OK for me.

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Interesting. I made the SAME post yesterday. Here's my own post. This is not OCD nor is it minor. If an automatic car window closes slowly would you let it slide? No, you'd take it to the dealership. My delay is about 2 seconds. At first I thought it was because my 32GB iPhone is almost full but that's not why at all. And it shouldn't matter if there are 8 or 12 apps in a folder. Folder is meant for 12. Make it work with 12 apps or don't make a 12 app folder at all. All started after 4.2. 4.1 had 12 apps as well btw not 8 as some people are saying.

Patent10021 said:
After upgrading my iP4 to 4.2 all is perfect except two things.

Now when I hold down on the screen to shake the apps for deletion or changing the location there is a delay. When I click on an x to delete an icon or move an icon there is the same delay. Finally when I click the home button to exit the edit mode the same delay is there. It's very noticeable.

Arnold Rimmer

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
@ patent10021

Hi,
Sorry if you have mis-understood. I'm not saying that prior to 4.2 you could only have 8 apps? I'm saying that in 4.2 apple introduced a new animation into the OS, this animation is on "folders" with more than "8 apps" inside them.

The animation causes the apps to animate and move "up" within the folder. The more folders you have to animate, seems to cause this delay on the phone.

The only way i have found to resolve that delay is to place only "8 apps MAX" in any folder, therefore the animation that was introduced in IOS4.2.1 does not activate and therefore my phone is as fast as ever.

I agree that this is a BUG and apple will probably resolve it sooner rather than later.

However, setting your folders to only having 8 apps per folder does seem to resolve the issue!

This new animation was only introduced with the new iOS4.2.1 and was therefore not apparent to us previously.
Having 12 apps previously was not an issue, but on iOS 4.2.1 having a lot of folders with more than 8 apps is definitely causing this delay because of this new animation, i can post a video to demonstrate this if it helps?

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
@ patent10021

Hi,
Sorry if you have mis-understood. I'm not saying that prior to 4.2 you could only have 8 apps? I'm saying that in 4.2 apple introduced a new animation into the OS, this animation is on "folders" with more than "8 apps" inside them.

The animation causes the apps to animate and move "up" within the folder. The more folders you have to animate, seems to cause this delay on the phone.

The only way i have found to resolve that delay is to place only "8 apps MAX" in any folder, therefore the animation that was introduced in IOS4.2.1 does not activate and therefore my phone is as fast as ever.

I agree that this is a BUG and apple will probably resolve it sooner rather than later.

However, setting your folders to only having 8 apps per folder does seem to resolve the issue!

This new animation was only introduced with the new iOS4.2.1 and was therefore not apparent to us previously.
Having 12 apps previously was not an issue, but on iOS 4.2.1 having a lot of folders with more than 8 apps is definitely causing this delay because of this new animation, i can post a video to demonstrate this if it helps?
Ah ok. Thanks. What a drag. I have 500 apps. I'm not about to change all my folders from 12 to 8. Seems like a lot of "easter eggs" appeared in 4.2 including that new iChat woop sound when sending MMS messages. It's definitely new for 4.2. Other people insist it was there in 4.1.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Ah ok. Thanks. What a drag. I have 500 apps. I'm not about to change all my folders from 12 to 8. Seems like a lot of "easter eggs" appeared in 4.2 including that new iChat woop sound when sending MMS messages. It's definitely new for 4.2. Other people insist it was there in 4.1.

I'm on 4.1 and no matter what I do, I still get the whoop sound. I have no idea how people haven't had it before. It's nothing new and has always been there.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
has anyone restrained from upgrading iOS because of slowdowns like this?

There aren't any slowdowns! most of these complaints are down to one thing: user error. Not the OS itself.

How do i know? it doesn't take a few seconds or 10 seconds for wiggle to start on my own phone and they wiggling stops the instant i press the home button...and i'm not the only one. People with issues are likely having them due to bringing over settings/caches from 4.0 (or even iOS 3.x or earlier) to the latest update.

As a rule of thumb always reset your settings after each significant update if you're noticing problems that others don't have and check the apps you have installed (have they released updates). Some aren't properly optimized and take up un-necessary resources over time.

PS- 387- 500 apps? really?

including that new iChat woop sound when sending MMS messages. It's definitely new for 4.2. Other people insist it was there in 4.1.

Been around before 4.2

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have an iphone 4, never JB. It takes me about 10 seconds of typing before I even see any words come on the screen in the Maps app. Is this being OCD?

Arnold Rimmer

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
There aren't any slowdowns! most of these complaints are down to one thing: user error. Not the OS itself.

How do i know? it doesn't take a few seconds or 10 seconds for wiggle to start on my own phone and they wiggling stops the instant i press the home button...and i'm not the only one. People with issues are likely having them due to bringing over settings/caches from 4.0 (or even iOS 3.x or earlier) to the latest update.

As a rule of thumb always reset your settings after each significant update if you're noticing problems that others don't have and check the apps you have installed (have they released updates). Some aren't properly optimized and take up un-necessary resources over time.

PS- 387- 500 apps? really?

Been around before 4.2

The slow down is not "user error"?
Every user has different needs, You may not have a need for over 380 apps, but i do, as do many others.

I am a Sys Admin and use my phone for work therefore have apx 40 apps that i use to check specific issues with servers, workstations etc... I also use my device for my home network, HTPC, IPCams, home security, home media travel, holiday/travel bookings, social networking, SatNav, Traffic, Shopping, and FUN... I use those apps at least weekly and therefore are useful to me.

If Apple thought that we were the minority they would never have felt the need to introduce folders and multitasking etc... Its thanks to heavy users that the product continues to evolve and have its bugs ironed out.

The app slow down is very common it would appear, as it has been mentioned on O2 forums, Apples own forums and a quick youtube search shows many other users with the same issue (all with large folders full of apps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0BIV3Wj14M

Just because YOU don't use the full potential of your iDevice does not mean that when we find a "bug" that its down to user error on our behalf.

Just because YOU only do what YOU need with YOUR device does not mean that the rest of world is incorrect for not following YOUR lead.

I know that this particular issue is NOT user error and can categorically prove it, by filming the phone with 8 aps per folder working fine, then allowing folders to having 12 apps per folder and watching the device eventually come to a crawl, based on the amount of folders you actually have can determine weather this fault is also apparent. I currently have 2 folders of 12 and it seems OK at the moment. When i had a page worth of 12 per folder it was a nightmare.
(The slowdown, i believe is down to the new folder animation introduced in iOS 4.2.1)

Its nothing to do with bringing over cached files from an old backup, if you read our posts you will see i reinstalled 4 times prior to narrowing down the fault, each time set up as a new phone, and have reported it now as a bug to apple.

This forum is becoming full of pointless posts from armchair experts these days, what ever happened to the good ole days where everyone would go out of there way to help... Now its smart arse responses based on opinion rather than actual fact.

Install 387 apps on your device, put them in folders of 12 and watch your phone come to a crawl when you try to enter removal mode. Then come back and post more of your armchair nonsense about cached files.

If you take the time and effort to check and do the leg work associated with this particular bug, you will see, that in fact, you were incorrect with your initial assumption that this is user error.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A) I have the problem too.

B) When you're organizing a lot of apps, it matters.

C) Small problems are worth discussing and fixing too. Not just huge ones.

D) You can thank anyone who raises any problem: they're helping to make your device a little bit better.

E) These forums are a good place to post and find out if a problem is a fluke or more widespread.

SheepWorrier

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
I was suffering from slow-down on my iPhone4 when re-arranging or even opening folders. I also noticed intermittently that when typing using the keyboard, there was a lag after pressing a key before the "last key selected" animation disappeared.

I stumbled upon this thread and another which suggested having less than 9 apps per folder. I made this change and the re-arranging lag disappeared straight away, but the general sluggish-ness opening folders and elsewhere remained.

Next, I power cycled the phone and it seems a lot faster. Maybe this is due to reducing the number of apps per folder, or maybe just because there isn't any garbage in the memory from apps that had been run since my last power cycle.

I've also been seeing problems on my iPad since the first day I upgraded to 4.2.1. Fingers crossed, this will fix my iPad issues later when I get home.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I experience the same slowdowns on My iphone 4, my father does not on his however, so it doesn't seem to affect everyone. But it's a 5~ second delay to get the apps to start wiggling, 12 to get then to stop. Opening a folder takes a few seconds.

It seems very likely to have something to do with the folder animations or something on the start screen, as there is also a delay in opening the task manager, but when an app is open it shows up at regular speed.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
OP - I found the wiggle to be TOO sensitive in the past. Perhaps this was Apple's way of preventing prople from accidentally going into "edit" mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I've noticed this on a couple of my co-workers phones. It seems to be dependent on how many apps you have on your phone. They all have like 300+ apps on their phone and each of them noticed/complained that the "wiggling" time was drastically longer than in the previous iOS versions.

One co-worker who only has 50 or so apps doesn't have this issue and his icons wiggle within a couple seconds like normal.

Perhaps if you cut down on the number of apps on your phone this may alleviate the issue. That or you'll just have to live with it and hope that Apple addresses this in a future update or something. Having seen how long the wiggle time is, I can definitely see how annoying it can be. Don't think this is an OCD issue but it is a more noticeable issue with 4.2.1 so no need to berate the OP for pointing this out.

People who complain about 1 speck, LITERALLY, of dust in their camera lens? Yes, that is OCD. This is not.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Greetings everyone,

Tried to find this in the forums but failed to do so.

I updated my iPhone 4 32gb from 4.0.1 to 4.2.1. Instantly after, when I push down an app to move it around, the "wiggle" takes much longer to start wiggling. The. After I hit the home button to stop it, it takes a few seconds for it to stop wiggling.

This actually happens to me to! I have around 200+ apps.

Last edited:

jfh28078

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Are you kidding?

My OS4.2 works perfect. I have 68 apps on my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
This delay was the first thing I noticed after the update. It's noticeable because pressing the home button after the wiggle would stop instantly prior to the update. It now takes 5 seconds to stop. Similarly, starting the wiggle takes 5 seconds.

While this is not a big deal to me, the fact that this delay was not there prior to the update could mean something is up with 4.2.1. Everything about the iPhone/iOS is smooth and responsive except for this.

Sorry but this issue is not OCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.