ICY dock 2 disc raid convertor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Honumaui, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Honumaui, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

Honumaui macrumors 6502a

decided to pick one of these up and see what its like ?

could be pretty cool if it works well want to use raid 1 for my boot and going to see how quick it does raid 0

curious if anyone has one yet ? will let you know next week some time my thoughts

[​IMG]

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

please let us know I am very interested in it. looks ideal for a pair of intel 80gb ssds that i have sitting in my desk drawer. I would like to know how it works in raid 0 raid 1 and jbod. thanks

3. rtrt, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The data sheet says speeds up to 6GB/s, which would mean that this device enables two SATA II SSD's to operate at full speed. Not bad if you've got an internal 6GB/s SATA card with only a few ports.

5. syepes macrumors newbie

6. Honumaui thread starter macrumors 6502a

or internally for raid 1 boot free up the extra sled :)

mine is going to be in a external SATA case I have and ordering a newertech card on Monday to use for testing it

no a single SATA is 300 MB/s so it would be as mentioned for a 6G card like the newertech

but they are not that much ?

have heard mixed reviews on the one you linked to ? also heard of compatibility issues cool idea though but going to stay clear of that one
    plus at $99 this one was cheaper :)

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

not the internal sata ports in the mac, but there are external ones that claim esata III speeds. so this icy dock could hookup to this piece

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXPCIE6GRS/

externally and run at over 300MB/s at least in theory up to 500mb/s. if the dock truly is sata III 6GB type it would be very nice gear. also if you have the right pci e card you could run this from the optical bay. if this is as advertised and you play around with a sata III pci e that boots it would be very nice indeed. Just think a pair of owc ssds in a raid0 as a 400 to 500 mb/s speed boot drive. a lot of other uses for this piece of gear.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

What's with that dial? 10 positions with 4 different settings?! :confused: :rolleyes:

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

You're right, that the thing needs to be connected to a 6.0Gb/s SATA port. But it's not going to be as fast as a single disk can be, due to the additional latency (remember, both disks are on a single port, so there's switching involved).

Sort of (comparing specs of the units only), but the SATA port in the systems are only 3.0Gb/s compliant, so it won't be able to run at 6.0Gb/s (always limited by the slowest link in the chain).

Not entirely, and it's for two reasons.
    1. Both of these units are having to switch one port for 2x drives (RAID 0 or 1), so there's some additional latency due to the switching (what a PM chip does).
    2. The internal ports on the MP aren't fast enough anyway.

As it happens, the Stardom unit is only good to ~200MB/s (sold by Trans Int'l as well). Figure for double that for the 6.0Gb/s version, assuming it's connected to a 6.0Gb/s SATA port (PM chip is built into the RAID on a Chip inside the unit). Unfortunately, that's not going to be the case using the ICH (built-in SATA ports on the board), so you'd be doing good to get ~250MB/s or so (SATA 3.0GB/s hits the wall at ~270 - 275MB/s or so, for a single disk in real world conditions; it's always less using a PM chip due to the latency).

Think parts availability; it was available and within budget. ;) :p

10. Honumaui thread starter macrumors 6502a

got the card and the case today :) took the icydock out to look at it
    pretty nice setup and well built feels good in the hands good weight things are smooth and not cheapy feeling so build quality is very nice

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

12. Honumaui thread starter macrumors 6502a

hoping to Sat or Sun

I set aside Sun as open :) just to be sure on my calendar so Sun at the latest

13. Honumaui thread starter macrumors 6502a

cant get writes over 120 MB/s ?
    also cant get any of the raid modes to work and cant get more than one disc to work at the moment ?

I thought about returning for replacement but if its working this bad might just pass on it completely

bummer though as the idea was neat ? the one other review the guy said he got good speed ?

going to return it

14. steffi macrumors 6502a

I tried the icy dock product and I'm returning it and their other product I was using. Their dual disk product simply didn't work for me and that was the RMA product. I might try the stardom product since it's designed specifically for mac pros. Sure would be good to see some dual SSD raid 0 numbers.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you're trying to use the Pro Drive (Stardom sells the same unit IIRC), you must be aware it will not do what you expect it to.

The reason is, both disks are attached to a single internal SATA port. What this means, is you're trying to place the bandwidth of both disks over one port that's saturated or nearly so on a single SSD. Worse, the chip in the little PM unit (really all it is), has a max throughput of ~200MB/s (latency gets added). 200MB/s or so from a pair of SSD's in a stripe set wouldn't be worth it at all, especially as it would cost more money in this particular configuration (cost of the unit above the cost of the SSD's).

So don't do this.

Use 1x SATA port per disk to get the max througput possible (and the ICH has issues with SSD's anyway due to the bandwidth limitation; that is, you throttle on 3x of them in a stripe set).

If you were wanting to use it with mechanical 2.5" laptop drives, that would be fine (what they designed it for). But not SSD's.

16. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

it can be used with intel x25m 80 gb size ssd's

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-X25-M-Gen..._Components&hash=item19c1aed5ab#ht_916wt_1037

two of these would be worth a flyer . my reasoning is these drive read very fast but write at 70-80gb . this would reduce some but not all of your throttle issue. also for cost assuming seller is good 2 of these give you 160gb for 250 plus 100 for the case so 160gb for 350 is pretty good. not to mention you would save a bay in the mac pro. if you only want the pro and no outside gear this may be a good option. of course with ebay you take your chances.