I'd like an EVO form factor for the next iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigQid, Sep 22, 2010.

?

What size would you like for

1. 3.5" like the current iphone

80 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. 4" like the Galaxy S phones

73 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. 4.3-4.5" like the EVO

26 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 5"

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. BigQid macrumors regular

I don't like Android, but I love the feel of the EVO. When the iphone came out, it was the biggest screen available at the time. The EVO has pushed that envelope. I think it can be pushed further.
    The EVO does a good job of maximizing the percentage of the face that is screen and not wasting space. The receiver is very close to the top of the phone, and the row of buttons is fairly thin. I'd like to see this observed in the next iphone. There are some people that will want to keep the iphone screen the way it is now, but I think there is room for 2 or 3 different iphone screen sizes. I might even be willing to pay a little extra for it.
    Honestly, I'd like to go even bigger than the EVO. The Dell Streak is too big, but that could just be due to bad design.

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You can't compare screen crispness between the galaxy s and evo compared to the iPhone.

Can you iPhone be made in a 4 inch screen and still be able to keep the same crispness it currently has?

Marc

3. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I don't know about the same form factor but the iPhone can certainly use a little more screen real estate. Slightly larger screen, maybe 4", with the same resolution will yield a slightly lower pixel density but i feel it is a good compromise.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yeah but the screen crispness on the iPhone is soo good if a larger screen means not as crisp then I would stay with the current.

Marc

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I honestly don't understand asking for a bigger screen, unless you like the appearance of an iPad strapped to the side of your head. To me, the smaller the device, the better! :)

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Happy with 3.5" Its not the size that matters but what you do with it.

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

For a touch screen device that doesn't have any buttons (much less the one button on the phone itself), bigger is definitely better.

Bigger kills battery life, though!

9. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

I have both the iphone 4 and evo and the evo is way better for surfing the web and movies etc. If you spend much time on the phones for media or web whatever you will want a 4.3 the iphones screen does look a little better but your also most of the time looking at that stupid grid of apps, you can look at that with an gameboy screen. Plus on the evo it gets rid of the info at the top so you have the entire screen to focus on what your doing.

10. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more. I'm not saying I want a phone exactly like the EVO, but they got a lot right. The added screen space makes it a more immersive experience. Its a very efficient use of space so that its not actually that large.

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I like the idea of a larger screen but not at the expense of a physically larger phone than the iPhone 4. The iP4 fits just right in my hands/pockets.

12. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I want Apple to make the iPhone bigger. At least 4" like the Galaxy S phones or even better the size of the Droid X or Evo. One of my friends recently got a Droid X and she let me check it out and I really liked the feel and the size of the phone.

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am perfectly happy with the size of my iPhone 4. :)

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's just the perfect size as it is for a phone. It's light and nimble. For bigger, I have an iPad.

15. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Yes, I agree. If it got too big I wouldn't be able to fit it on my pocket or the little pouch I have for it.

16. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

I use the EVO as my company phone and the iPhone 4 as my personal phone. After staring at the EVO all day it makes my iPhone seem tiny and like a toy. Nothing compares to the iPhone, imo, but I would like to see the next gen iPhone come with a larger screen.

17. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

the evo is too big as a phone. the screen size is nice, but it's kind of clunky when holding it to your ear. different strokes for different folks i guess.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Gah, no.

The EVO is too frikkin big for a phone.

Granted, I use my iphone mostly for PDA functions (it's my computer away from my computer), but since it is my phone too, I still have to use it for one. It's the perfect balance between being narrow enough to feel comfortable using as a phone/putting up to my head and having a big enough screen to be usable as a PDA/mini-computer.

I had a PDA once with a bigger screen. I'm not really missing it that much, the smaller screen on my iphone is still very usable. But I'd not have wanted to use the PDA I had as a phone (it was one reason I was skeptical about wanting a PDA and phone combo. I thought it would get the worst of both worlds, awkward to use as a phone cause of PDA shape, but compromised that you would get a smaller and less usable screen to make it a little better to use as a phone. The iphone found the right balance imho between both).

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

I want at least a 4 inch screen. My stepdad has the Droid X and loves it. He is in his early 50's and his vision is getting weaker, so 4.3 inches is perfect for him.

Droid X vs iPhone 4 vs Vibrant vs Evo

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=0SjnAdaxxok

iPhone 4's screen feels too small now by comparison. True, the Droid X and Evo look like the biggest phone I've seen since the 1990's. But size might matter here. Droid X and Evo are the big boy phones and Vibrant seems to have such a vibrant screen that pop out to you. I know Apple would never do it just for "looks", but I really like the idea of the kickstand like the Evo. I want something practical over aesthetics.

21. err404 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't mind a 4" screen, but ONLY if they can include it w/o increasing the overall size of the phone.

22. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Then you're not the target market Apple is shooting for.

23. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Im not really into the huge screens. I owned an EVO once and it really felt like I was carrying a graphing calculator/TV remote in my pocket.

I dont really get the trend that we've been going in terms of cell phones. We started huge then made phones smaller and smaller and thinner and thinner and now I guess we're going back to going huge again.

If I really want to watch something, I dont need a 4.3" screen to do it. I just turn on my 52". That to me would seem much more practical.

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

Because this industry relies on trends. If it didn't improve in some way, then technology remains stagnant. It has to keep evolving or there will longer be any new buyers. That's how technology works. Introduce or reintroduce.

My favorite form factor is the Nokia N9.

25. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Thats what she says when yours is small!...She's lying...lol...:D.

On a serious note I would love a bigger screen IF they keep the same resolution.