id Shows Off 'Rage' Running on iPhone 4 at 60 Frames Per Second

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Screenshot of Rage on iPhone 4

Kotaku reports that during his keynote address at QuakeCon 2010 today, John Carmack of id Software showed off the company's forthcoming Rage game running at 60 frames per second on an iPhone 4, claiming performance beyond that of Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation 2. The report includes a video clip showing Rage in action on the iPhone.
    The report notes that id will be releasing a minor "show off" title from the Rage franchise later this year, with a full version set to launch next year along with versions for other platforms.

Article Link: id Shows Off 'Rage' Running on iPhone 4 at 60 Frames Per Second

2. liljoedaprince macrumors member

wow...even though the human eye can see at around 30 fps, we still double tht...

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

How are they doing this? We can't even get Spawn Illuminati to run at the iPhone 4's resolution without it slowing to the point of unusablilty..

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Can an iPhone 4 play Crysis? How can this beat out the PS3 and xbox 360 in terms of performance? Xbox and PS2 understandable... typo. :p

5. skeep5 macrumors 6502a

skeep5

6. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Tech Demo != Gameplay. Adding in such things as A.I. will ruin performance. Not saying that it can't be done. Just pointing this out.

7. 0098386 Suspended

Clever texture work, immense optimisation.

Although it will look bad compared to the console/PC versions.

8. tac22 macrumors 6502

Omg I'm excited, this will be a huge leap forward for qaulity content and great graphics on ios. Plus this game is sick

9. deggs37 macrumors member

I can tell you never were a PC gamer by your sig. However, 60 fps is pretty much mandatory for a smooth experience.

10. RalfTheDog macrumors 65816

RalfTheDog

It is the origional Xbox and the PS-2. On the other hand, it was only running on the 3GS.

11. Voytech macrumors member

It clearly states, Playstation 2 and ORIGINAL XBOX. Not PS3 and 360.

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

People, they said Microsoft's XBOX and Sony's PS2. XBOX and PS2. Not XBOX 360 or PS3.

And it all depends on the game engine to fully utilize the hardware. For example, games like Team Fortress 2 or Modern Warfare 2 (PC) are very efficient when it comes to addressing a system's hardware effectively. Others, like Just Cause 2, run like crap. It's the same for the iPhone. If someone can take advantage of that A4 and PowerVR graphics set, we could be seeing some very high end games on the iPhone 4.

13. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

And for the iPad ?

Really disappointed in that Apple seems to have almost killed of the excitement of SOME developers who could have gone all out for the iPad and now are working on the iPhone 4

Apple don't need 3rd party competition when they can damage their own products like this.

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Wow, this is a modern Xbox 360/PS3 game. Be the first to start selling console quality games at PSP prices ($40-$50). I'll even buy the iPhone version instead of renting the console version to show my support for higher-priced, higher quality games.

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Very cool—and I guess it makes sense: Id alleged that the original iPhone was vaguely comparable to a an original Xbox or PS2 (which is to say, not the same, but faster specs in some ways, worse in others). And now we’re 2 or 3 generations later. (I know the 3G wasn’t a big step from the original.)

16. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

The human eye can see far beyond 30fps.

17. RalfTheDog macrumors 65816

RalfTheDog

I understand they have a hot new version of pong for the Droid 2 that is almost as good as the original. Next up for the Android platform? Break out (In color!)

18. iansilv macrumors 65816

Once again Carmack shows that he is the daddy of computer gaming.

Nice.:D

19. salem1766 macrumors newbie

20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's extremely untrue.

--Eric

21. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

If anyone can push game engines on any platform, it's Carmack. This had better not be on rails like Doom:Resurrection is. I am looking forward to this.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's an endless cycle: Manufacturers make faster and faster computers and gadgets, then software vendors write code that takes advantage of the higher and higher abilities of the hardware, doing things that weren't possible before. Then manufacturers up the ante with a new generation of devices and it starts all over again.

The upside is that we get improved hardware and software with every generation. The downside is that we have to keep buying them!

23. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

24. skud macrumors newbie

I don't think this is possible with the average skills of an iPhone developer. John Carmack is a rocket scientist (not joking) and invented several groundbreaking methods in game history.
    If this is true he's overdone himself yet again

25. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

No, its around 120 FPS, but after a few hours, chances are you'll become dizzy.