Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloryofgreece

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
seattle
I am a new owner of M1 Mac Mini. I am just learning some C++ programming and sometimes leetcoding. I noticed that one can't use code::blocks on m1 natively and I think eclipse/vs community are just a bit too heavy for what I am working on. xcode is really complicated.

For C++ pros on this community, what IDE do you use on your m1 macs?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Not per se IDEs but depending on situation; visual studio code, nano/vim and jetbrains. I’ll also use Xcode to edit from time to time but mostly I only use Xcode for swift
We think the same. VSCode and JetBrains are both pretty much always running, and I’ve been a vi user since the 1990s!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
New in Xcode 13
Preferences → Text Editing → Editing → Enable Vim key bindings
Yeah. If someone’s reading this however and thinking “What’s vim? Should I enable this?”… Don’t. Vim is cool and all, but if you don’t already know how to use it it’s going to confuse the pants off ya, when you try tying d20 as a variable name in your dice rolling app, and 20 lines of code disappear, haha :p

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I am a new owner of M1 Mac Mini. I am just learning some C++ programming and sometimes leetcoding. I noticed that one can't use code::blocks on m1 natively and I think eclipse/vs community are just a bit too heavy for what I am working on. xcode is really complicated.

For C++ pros on this community, what IDE do you use on your m1 macs?
This demonstrates an important fact: learning any language/IDE is a huge investment in time, with a steep learning curve. Switching to a new one is a big task. For this reason people will always tell you that the one that they know is great. Frameworks like Cocoa are very powerful and also complex. If you take the time to learn XCode / Cocoa you will have complete mastery of your Mac but this is a lot to learn.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
This demonstrates an important fact: learning any language/IDE is a huge investment in time, with a steep learning curve. Switching to a new one is a big task. For this reason people will always tell you that the one that they know is great. Frameworks like Cocoa are very powerful and also complex. If you take the time to learn XCode / Cocoa you will have complete mastery of your Mac but this is a lot to learn.

Especially given the sad state of Apple Documentation currently.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
Yes lloydean and things really went down-hill when Apple decided to invent Swift.

That will happen following a secret decision to rewrite and implement the application development API's in a completely new language.

Saw it coming when Swift was announced and little to no updated documentation appeared but that doesn't dull the pain.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
That will happen following a secret decision to rewrite and implement the application development API's in a completely new language.

Saw it coming when Swift was announced and little to no updated documentation appeared but that doesn't dull the pain.

The documentation available for some of the newer Swift stuff is also really great. While there are still a lot of missing things, what's accompanied the current iterations of SwiftUI has been really excellent documentation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.