Ideas for covering forward-facing camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adam_fox, Jul 24, 2016.

1. adam_fox macrumors member

adam_fox

Right now, I use a piece of electrical tape. It works okay, but falls off once in a while. I don't want to permanently cover it on the rare occasion I need it. Ideas welcome. :)

Note: Please refrain from the "why would you want to do that?" responses. They aren't helpful. Thanks!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Do you use a case? I'd try a full body case and keep the electrical tape. Should keep it from falling off.

3. Phonefanman Suspended

Why tape over camera? Afraid uncle Sam watching you?

4. adam_fox thread starter macrumors member

adam_fox

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to avoid a case, if i can. But, that might end up being the best route if I can't find another option.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you miss the part about where OP says to refrain from posing questions like yours and that they aren't helpful (you even freaking quoted OP on it)?

This means you are not being helpful by asking the question OP asked you not to ask.

Obviously it's because of a privacy concern. Something that is only a concern to OP and has nothing to do with the rest of us.

6. Phonefanman Suspended

Take a drill and small drill bit and drill a hole in the center of camera lens. This will keep them stalkers at bay

7. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Sharpie to cover it up, alcohol pad to take it off. :D

8. adam_fox thread starter macrumors member

adam_fox

I'm sorry, but you failed at following my guidelines. Let's hope you don't fail in all parts of your life. Evidence isn't promising at this point, but you can turn things around!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2016 ---
    Interesting .. have you tried this approach? I'm curious how long that might last without the sharpie ink rubbing off.

9. Shazamadoo macrumors member

Shazamadoo

Now I'm curious what you look like, or what you are doing when you use your phone...

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some arts and craft stores and office supply stores (perhaps even Wallmart in their arts/crafts section) have little sticker pages of various stickers in different designs. Circles, squares, etc, etc of various sizes and colors.

What about trying that? Should be some sort of adhesive circle that's large enough to cover your camera but not overly large.

11. Phonefanman, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

Phonefanman Suspended

My bad I didn't see where you said don't ask why at the bottom of your thread.

Here is the solution. Get a screen protector and cut it out around camera and take black maker

12. adam_fox thread starter macrumors member

adam_fox

There's hope for you yet. :) Seriously, though, one of the most frustrating things about using online forums like this is when people don't respond with useful responses. It wastes everybody's time. I only hope you're a bit more thoughtful in the future. Cheers!

13. Shazamadoo macrumors member

Shazamadoo

What's funny is people coming onto forums expecting complete strangers to give 2 poops about them... Especially when u don't even explain yourself thoroughly as to the reason ur looking to "disable" your front camera..

14. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Not sure how much you're trying to spend on this solution or how you feel about cases, but a quick search turned up this little gem called the Eyepatch: https://www.amazon.com/EyePatch-iPhone-6s-Case-Privacy/dp/B00SUCHRSS

Basically a phone case that covers (and cleans, apparently) both the front and rear cameras with the flick of a switch. For $25, that doesn't sound "too" bad.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Depends on the device.
    I have the sticky lint removing tape that comes with a screen protector - works great for laptops and similar devices.
    I have Avery color dots (can be trimmed to size) if I want to cover other cameras like on mobile devices.
    They work great for me when I want to use them.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

THAT is what I was trying to get at in an earlier post!

Those cut to size using a single hole punch would work great I think.

17. itsray macrumors 6502

you could always get an iPhone 3g or 3gs. they don't have front cameras. or open up the phone and remove or damage the front camera if you're that paranoid. now what about them listening through your microphone all the time?

18. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

This is actually the part that puzzles me. If I were concerned about privacy, the forward-facing camera seems like less of a security problem than the rear camera. If someone were to hijack my front camera, they would alternate between seeing my face and the inside of my pocket. I can't think of any scenario in which my front camera is pointing at anything that would give away any information about me.

The rear camera, on the other hand - well, I don't really keep track of where that one is pointing when I'm using my phone. If someone were to hijack that camera, I couldn't honestly say what they would be able to see on any given day.

19. itsray macrumors 6502

yea the back camera is more at risk to give away your location than looking at the face or the sky/ceiling.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

21. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

How often do you use the camera? It seems a sharpie would take some effort to remove just to use the camera.
    I just did a search, look at Ipatch case.

22. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

That's a pretty slick solution.

Or if the OP doesn't want a case, he could just get a cheap rubber one, cut the top half portion off just underneath the camera and tape/glue something over the camera hole. Easy to slip on and off.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sharpie isn't likely to play well on the oleo phobic costing do the glass. Further, it won't completely black out the view (though I don't know how specific the OP's needs are as it will surely heavily distort any images coming through). If the phone is kept in a pocket for almost any amount of time it will also run off. Longer story slightly shorter, I don't think it's a viable option.

I personally like that case linked about as well as the idea of just disconnecting (physically) the camera module. I don't think that camera module controls anything else, but I could be wrong in that.

24. CE3 macrumors 6502a